Coast to coast riding old Honda GL1000 ‘79

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
lemmenjoki
Motorcycle: Honda GL-1000 1979

Coast to coast riding old Honda GL1000 ‘79

Postby lemmenjoki » Sun May 11, 2014 8:16 am

Hello!

This is Adam from Poland. I have been reading goldwingdoc forum many times and received many valuable information, but this is my first post.
Me and my 14 years old son are going to ride the Honda GL1000 ’79 from Oceanside California to New York. This is the project for one month. We’ll arrive from Europe to Los Angeles on SUNDAY, JUN 22, than we’ll take the train to Oceanside to pick up the bike. This is my friend’s bike who moved from California to Europe few years ago and our plan is to ride this bike from coast to coast (from Oceanside to New York).
I have been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years, so I am pretty experienced driver :-), but frankly speaking I have never ridden the old GL. I have few older bikes like BMW K100LT ’87 or Suzuki GS650GT ’82 so in terms of weight and age is pretty similar to naked GL1000. Because this is the trip with my 14 years old son I have to be very precise and prepare all things in advance.
We’ll be self sufficient (tents and all camping equipment) but besides the journey between National Parks and so on it would be nice to meet some people. If somebody would like to meet us on the way we’ll be glad (my e-mail: agrzeg@wioslo.pl). And maybe it will be possibility to join some GL lovers meeting/rally…
Our path is more-less like this:
Oceanside – San Diego - Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (route 78), Johua Tree Nat'l Mon (road 86), Amboy, Essex, Needles, Oatman, Kingman, Lake Mead Nat'l Recreation Area, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, routes 89 and 67 to Grand Canyon NP (North Rim), Page, routes 98 and 564 to Kayenta, route 163 (Monument Valley), Bluff, Cortez, Scenic Route 145 to Montrose, Scenic Route 50 to Salida and to Colorado Springs), route 24 to Limon and 71 to Last Chance (what a name of the city:-) ) and east to Sprigfield (route 36) and route 66 to Chicago (I have few friends there). I haven’t made a precise trip plans from Chicago to New York but probably we’ll just use main highways.
We have to catch our plane from NY to Europe on 23 of July.

I hope 35 years old Honda GL1000 will manage :-).

Best regards from Poland – Adam & son John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Coast to coast riding old Honda GL1000 ‘79

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 am

That sounds like a fantastic trip. Just curious - where are you going to carry your tents and camping gear, with the two of you on the bike?

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 am

I'm wondering if some one has been maintaining that bike since your friend moved to Europe. You said that happened a few years ago. A bike sitting for a few years is never a good thing.

Once you get to New York what happens to the bike?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

lemmenjoki

Postby lemmenjoki » Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 am

[WingAdmin ] Just curious - where are you going to carry your tents and camping gear, with the two of you on the bike?

The bike is already equipped with one hard case in the back. I am going to carry the 4 kg tent and two therm-a-rests on the top on this case. All other camping equipment and other stuff will fit in the two 20 l soft seal-bags (the same I use it on canoe trips, by Cascades Designs). I am going to strap them like the soft saddlebags. All valuables and things to be easy accessible should fit in the hard case. We’ll also have tank bag – I hope the old BMW tank bag from my K100LT will fit on Hondas tank (no magnets of course). 10 l dromedary bag with the water I will try to hang on the rack in the back of the bike. I know there will be lots of improvisation :-), but I am sure we’ll manage to put all stuff on GL1000.

[cbx4evr] I'm wondering if some one has been maintaining that bike since your friend moved to Europe. You said that happened a few years ago. A bike sitting for a few years is never a good thing.

That’s the good point! My friend has somebody in Oceanside who will ride the bike to the bike-shop he usually serviced his motorcycles before and they will take care of it. The bike has a very low mileage (like few thousands miles) so I hope it will still run nice (of course there is always possibility that something goes wrong, but even riding a new bike - you will never know :-) ).

[cbx4evr] Once you get to New York what happens to the bike?

I will leave the bike in the garage of my friend’s brother living close to New York. I don’t know what happens to the bike afterwards… I am not going to take this bike to Europe – I don’t have more space in my garage in Poland :-) (I already have 5 older motorcycles and one with the sidecar, my wife would never forgive me if I shipped this bike to Europe :-) ).

Thanks to your response! It nice to hear from you thousands miles away :-).

Best regards from Poland - Adam

jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Postby jdavidsmit » Mon May 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Adam, i am getting my 1500 ready to go out to San Diego for my Grandsons high school graduation about the same time as you will be there maybe we could meet up for some of the trip back. as i get my plans more set i will see if they overlap some and let you know. i will be camping also and going to the Grand Canyon on my way back.
David

lemmenjoki

Postby lemmenjoki » Tue May 13, 2014 5:27 am

[jdavidsmit ] as i get my plans more set i will see if they overlap some and let you know. i will be camping also and going to the Grand Canyon on my way back.

It would be great to get together! I will send you private message. We are going to camp at least two-three days at Oceanside RV Park. I will probably go to San Diego on 25 of June (+/- one day).

Adam

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”