Wisconsin trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Wisconsin trip

Postby smilam » Mon May 12, 2014 5:09 pm

My wife and I are going to be in Appleton Wisconsin around the first week in June to visit our daughter who just moved there and would like to see some of Wisconsin while we are there. We saw one suggestion to take 10 west as it is a scenic drive. Is there anything we should be sure to see going across the state? We will be back in the Madison area to spend a day or two at Wing Ding the first week of July and then will spend a few more days riding maybe to the east into Michigan at that time. Does anybody have any suggestions on scenic rides or places we shouldn't miss.
Thanks Steve

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: Wisconsin trip

Postby skier » Mon May 12, 2014 7:35 pm

If you're going to be in Appleton, consider a ride up through Green Bay to Door County (the Door Peninsula). A popular tourist destination in that area.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue May 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:42 pm

We lived 40+ years in Wisconsin before moving to Arizona, WI. Has a LOT of great areas! If you plan on going to Madison from Appleton I would take 10 east to 55 south and go down the east side of Lake Winnebago, small towns and a lot of good scenery. 55 turns into 151 take that down to Winnebago Drive just before Fond Du Lac (and go right, that will take you into Fond Du Lac) on your right you will come to, Lakeside Park with a light house where you can go up steps to the top inside, it has a GREAT view and a very nice park. North Main in the park will turn into 45 Take 45 south from there back to 151 south Continue on to Waupun then take 26 south (past Horicon National Wildlife refuge) lots of waterfowl, At Watertown take 19 west to Sun Prairie then 151 south will take you into Madison. In Madison don’t forget to take a walk down State Street (no cars allowed) A lot of great places to eat at and a lot of fun people watching! I hope this helps, like I said Wisconsin has some great roads and a lot to see I hope you have a great trip!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Postby smilam » Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks for the replys. That looks like a good ride between Madison and Appleton. We will look into the Door County area. Thanks for the input, we are still in the planning stages on which sites to see on which trips. Next year we are planning on taking a couple of weeks to ride around Lake Superior and then a couple of more weeks to ride around Lake Michigan to take in the sites. If you think of anything else that is interesting let us know.
Thanks Steve

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri May 16, 2014 2:31 pm

You are talking about taking the"circle" tour, which is what the trip around Lake Superior is called. I live in the little town of Hermansville where we have the only 9/11 Memorial in the U.P and I am working onrraising funds to construct a building to showcase two pieces of steel from the World Trade Center. If you let me know when you get here I will buy you a cup of coffee at The Wildwood Restaurant. We also have a Vietnam Veterans Memorial. On the east end of the U.P. The Soo Locks are a big attraction, and the Big Mac Bridge connecting the upper peninsula to the lower peninsula. There are many camping sites, Federal Forest such as Kitchi-Ti-Kipi , a beautiful pond you would have to see to believe. I hope that you enjoy your trip through Michigan and the U.P., ride safe.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”