Saskatchewan, Canada

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
seattleboatguy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

Saskatchewan, Canada

Postby seattleboatguy » Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 am

I'm a USA rider planning a ride this summer across a portion of southern Canada (west to east). In the USA, I much prefer riding on highways than interstates. I understand that the Trans Canada highway is very similar to our interstate highways. So, I'm looking for options. I see that, between Medicine Hat and Winnipeg, you can travel much of that distance on highway 13 and 2 (between the Trans Canada and the US/Canada border). Would this be a reasonable motorcycle alternative to the Trans Canada? I'll be doing the trip on a '97 Gold Wing in July. Thanks.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Saskatchewan, Canada

Postby cbx4evr » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

I wouldn't so much compare the Trans Canada to a US interstate. It may be about 75%. The highways you mention are definitely rideable and would also be my preference for a road. Probably less truck traffic.

Be prepared for a fairly boring ride once you get out of BC and onto the Praries. You'll miss the mountains and will be on roads that run rather straight. Get to use the cruise a lot though.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Saskatchewan, Canada

Postby themainviking » Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 pm

CBX4ever is correct on highway 13 being flat and boring, and all those little towns, Shaunavon, Cadilac, Anaroid, Kincaid, Meyronne, Lafleche, etc are pretty dead nowadays with everyone moving up to the cities. If it were my choice, I would go one highway further south than 13 and get onto 18. That would take you into areas with more hills and forest like Wood Mountain and Fir Mountain parks. I misspent a lot of my youth in that south Saskatchewan flatland, and it would definitely be Highway 18 just as soon as I could get south enough. I usually just bypass both Manitoba and Saskatchewan and go through the northern border states till I get south of Alberta, or if going east, till I get to Sault Ste Marie. As you want to see something of Canada, that is probably the best of south Saskatchewan. It will lead you into Manitoba and Highway 3, till you get to 75 going south, which leads into Interstate 29 on the U.S. side, south of Winnipeg.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”