Meet Up and Adventures

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
BikerGuy
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Meet Up and Adventures

Postby BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm starting this new topic for those who are interested in planning meet ups for wherever and whenever. I'm proposing to meet in the early fall in NW Arkansas for a long extended weekend. Those who want to comment and help plan this, would be greatly appreciated. This isn't my idea. This is Tiger's idea to meet there. And I think it's a great idea.

I'm thinking that maybe we could make it for an extended weekend (Friday thru Monday), maybe have a BBQ somewhere on Friday or Saturday. I can bring a small BBQ! Fall begins September 22, this year. Temperature will be in the mid 70's at that time of year in NW Arkansas.

So let's plan this and party before we get shut in for the winter!!!! :D :D :D

Flyn Tiger
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Re: Meet Up and Adventures

Postby Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 5:31 pm

As I told jmerkin timing and weather is everything. If Arkansas gets a decent amount of rain fall the colors can be great. If it is dry like the last time I went, colors will be dull green to dead brown. Still the riding can be awsome.

As far as possible riding areas, of coarse hwy scenic 7 between Dover and Harrison is good, hwy 123, east and west of hwy 7 is super. 123 west has sweeping turns and 123 east of 7 has sweeping turns as well as hairpin turns. This area is known as the Arkansas Dragons Tail. At the end of the Dragons Tail is Mt Judea where you can get refreshments and a tee shirt saying I survived the Dragons Tail. Can't forget Push Mountain Rd or hwy 341, between Mt Home and Mt View, super great road to ride. If you haven't ridden these roads you are missing out. I encourage you to do so at some point. Also between Ozark and Eureka Springs is hwy 23 known as the Pig Trail. Nice road and scenic. All of these roads are good and smooth, most have good shoulders. On hwy 7 close to Jasper is the Cliff House Restaurant, a good place to eat and overlook the valley from the mountain top. There are many other good roads to ride but these are the favorites of mine and many that I have taken up there. We can add more as time draws near and figure up some loops that we can ride together.

For what it is worth, with my job my best time to go on such a trip is the last week of a month say from the 22nd, 23rd on. Guess maybe we can start with that time.

Everyone, chime in with good times off as well the area you live in. So far, we have possibles in Ark, LA, OK, and I believe Iowa. Maybe we could use Harrison as a base, that way loops can be made to all of the aboved named riding areas as of now, and our riding days be kept to 300 miles or less on a good day.

I'm stopping for now, lets hear some suggestions and get this together!

Flyn Tiger

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 5:42 pm

This all sounds grrrrrrrrreat! I'd like to inform you tho, that September 22 is a Monday. Perhaps we could plan this for Friday September 19th or Sept 26th thu the following Monday..... I can take time off Friday and Monday but not all week.... :)

Flyn Tiger wrote:As I told jmerkin timing and weather is everything. If Arkansas gets a decent amount of rain fall the colors can be great. If it is dry like the last time I went, colors will be dull green to dead brown. Still the riding can be awsome.

As far as possible riding areas, of coarse hwy scenic 7 between Dover and Harrison is good, hwy 123, east and west of hwy 7 is super. 123 west has sweeping turns and 123 east of 7 has sweeping turns as well as hairpin turns. This area is known as the Arkansas Dragons Tail. At the end of the Dragons Tail is Mt Judea where you can get refreshments and a tee shirt saying I survived the Dragons Tail. Can't forget Push Mountain Rd or hwy 341, between Mt Home and Mt View, super great road to ride. If you haven't ridden these roads you are missing out. I encourage you to do so at some point. Also between Ozark and Eureka Springs is hwy 23 known as the Pig Trail. Nice road and scenic. All of these roads are good and smooth, most have good shoulders. On hwy 7 close to Jasper is the Cliff House Restaurant, a good place to eat and overlook the valley from the mountain top. There are many other good roads to ride but these are the favorites of mine and many that I have taken up there. We can add more as time draws near and figure up some loops that we can ride together.

For what it is worth, with my job my best time to go on such a trip is the last week of a month say from the 22nd, 23rd on. Guess maybe we can start with that time.

Everyone, chime in with good times off as well the area you live in. So far, we have possibles in Ark, LA, OK, and I believe Iowa. Maybe we could use Harrison as a base, that way loops can be made to all of the aboved named riding areas as of now, and our riding days be kept to 300 miles or less on a good day.

I'm stopping for now, lets hear some suggestions and get this together!

Flyn Tiger

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 6:08 pm

I could do Sept 26th thru the 29th, Friday till Monday. We have been living on a calendar since April and will for a few more months. Have to check and make sure I still have that open.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Sorry I had not looked at what days fell on what dates. I typically finish my work for the most part by the 21st of a month, I usually add a day or two to that in case I get hung up at work. That is when I usually plan my trips.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Well, let's plan for September 29th then. Give you time to get ready for the trip too and gives me time to build a hitch with platform to haul a BBQ, 2 chairs, a cooler and 2 fishing poles plus be able to pull a trailer behind that! LOL! Do you think I'm getting carried away with my hitch ideas? :lol: :lol:

Flyn Tiger wrote:Sorry I had not looked at what days fell on what dates. I typically finish my work for the most part by the 21st of a month, I usually add a day or two to that in case I get hung up at work. That is when I usually plan my trips.

BullCBX
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Fri May 23, 2014 7:41 pm

My wife and I were just talking about planning a trip toward the Ozarks this fall. Just got the wing a few weeks ago and haven't had an opportunity to do a long trip yet. This might work out great if you guys are willing to put up with some new guys from Atlanta. Will be watching this thread closely. Was in this area a few years ago on my FJR. Had a great time and really enjoyed the roads.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 7:48 pm

We'd like to have you join us, Bull.... Keep posted in this forum and pass the word around!

BullCBX wrote:My wife and I were just talking about planning a trip toward the Ozarks this fall. Just got the wing a few weeks ago and haven't had an opportunity to do a long trip yet. This might work out great if you guys are willing to put up with some new guys from Atlanta. Will be watching this thread closely. Was in this area a few years ago on my FJR. Had a great time and really enjoyed the roads.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Fri May 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Lol Alot to carry on a 3 or 4 day trip. Hey to each his own, lol I do know there is a small lake or large pond people fish in in Harrison. I just go for the rides. Harrison also has plenty of good places to eat and to stay.

Bull, come on man. If we can do this, we would be glad to have you. Guessing you would go through Tennessee to get there. I live in Monroe, La., a good long day ride from Harrison.

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Sat May 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for the invitation. When I visited the area before, we slabbed it to Memphis (Atlanta to Birmingham to Memphis) and spent the night there. Then hit back roads out of Memphis the second day. Have some time to come up with a good route. We left this morning to head to the north GA mountains, but had to turn around with some kind of rotational noise coming from the front wheel. Came back to the house and jumped on the FJR and enjoyed the day. Will tear into the wing n the morning and see if I can find the trouble. Hope it is as simple as brakes, but we'll see.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:51 pm

jmerklin,

Unknown if I can even consider this trip, but I would like to offer a location for a base. That would be at "the Hub" which is just off Rt 7.
With a little planning Randall and Debbie may be able to arrange for a lot of that stuff you want available to do some cooking to already be available. The restaurant there had good food when I was there last summer. Breakfast was especially good and they put on quite a banquet for us.

No, the facility is not a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton Inn if that is what you want, but it caters to motorcyclists and Randall and Debbie can tell you the best roads in the area.

Website for the Hub is: http://www.hubinfo.com/index.html

There are a lot of fun places to eat within 25 miles in addition to the onsite restaurant.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sat May 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Bull check your left front brake. Not sure if you have had a wing nefore but when you apply the rear brake it also applies the left front. If that has neen replaced it could be time for right sides.

Harvey is correct, the Hub is a popular place to stay, I never have but know many who have. I usually stay I Russellville, Harrison or Mountain Home.....just depends on where I will be riding.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 am

Harvey - I checked it out online and it looks really cool... I'm even thinking of riding over there sometime this summer for a quick get away. I'm only 3 and a half hours from there so not so bad if I leave early in the morning.... Thanks for referring the Hub!

harvey01 wrote:jmerklin,

Unknown if I can even consider this trip, but I would like to offer a location for a base. That would be at "the Hub" which is just off Rt 7.
With a little planning Randall and Debbie may be able to arrange for a lot of that stuff you want available to do some cooking to already be available. The restaurant there had good food when I was there last summer. Breakfast was especially good and they put on quite a banquet for us.

No, the facility is not a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton Inn if that is what you want, but it caters to motorcyclists and Randall and Debbie can tell you the best roads in the area.

Website for the Hub is: http://www.hubinfo.com/index.html

There are a lot of fun places to eat within 25 miles in addition to the onsite restaurant.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 am

Tiger - yep it's a lot to carry. I just got me a welder, my first and my imagination is running wild! LOL!! I almost feel like a kid again with a tinker toy. I just wanna run with my ideas and who knows, maybe I'll be on to something cool that I can invent and sell. The first idea I had was a carry all with a basket and two tubes for fishing poles. I'm not much of a fisherman, but I thought it'd be cool. There's gotta be people out there who would agree that it'd be cool to pack up for a weekend, and combine riding with fishing, even if for a day! Hey! It'd be a good excuse to get away from the significant other anywayssssssss........ LOL!

Flyn Tiger wrote:Lol Alot to carry on a 3 or 4 day trip. Hey to each his own, lol I do know there is a small lake or large pond people fish in in Harrison. I just go for the rides. Harrison also has plenty of good places to eat and to stay.

Bull, come on man. If we can do this, we would be glad to have you. Guessing you would go through Tennessee to get there. I live in Monroe, La., a good long day ride from Harrison.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Sun May 25, 2014 7:53 am

Morning jmerklin, I have seen several different set ups that would carry fishing poles, golf clubs to canoes. I need a welder also. Your going to give me the fever........shame in you! Lol

You are closer than I am to the Hub area. It takes me about 4.5 hours just to get to Russellville from Monroe. My 2 buddies that are new to central Ark riding took their wives up there and I seen a couple of pics of them riding 123 east and around and I saw nothing but smiles on their faces. Everybody from La that I have taken up there now can't get enough of it. We just don't have that quality of riding here, especially in the road quality department. Never know maybe I can get them up there this fall. We had already discussed going back with the wives this fall when all of us could go. I just hate it all my stuff fell on this weekend.

Well going to surf the web some. Debating on a new windshield for the bike. Looking at a F4. Dont know whether to get the 4 or the 2 that is adjustable or to get a 4 with a vent. Any advice?

Enjoy your day,
Flyn Tiger

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 am

Tiger - yes. I have a slip streamer windshield that came with the bike, the tallest one. It's good, but the passenger gets the wind full in her face despite how tall the shield is.

I've done a lot of research and when I have the money I am going to buy a V-Stream.
[url]

First of all, the way it's designed, it moves the wind around you and the passenger. Secondly, it's made of poly carbonate as opposed to acrylic (or plexiglass). Poly carbonate is virtually indestructible and doesn't scratch. This is great because if a stone should ever fly up and hit the shield, it won't break through and then hit you as it most likely would with an acrylic shield. Poly carbonate also not likely to scratch.
[url]

You can hit it with a baseball bat and it won't break.
[url]

You can get a special treatment for it called rain zip which repels the water off the shield. This gives you better clarity in the rain. I have rain x on mine and it doesn't help much.
[url]

All in all, this windshield is a bit more money, but in my humble opinion, based on the above, for whatever my opinion is worth, the V-Stream is worth the money and you won't be replacing the windshield again which in the long run, makes the cost less money. And that's a good thing. :D

You can get them from $200 to around $350. Here's what to do.... Google this.... vstream windshield Goldwing 1800 and then click the SHOPPING tab at the top of the page and you'll get the prices and places to buy.

Let me know if you get it... I can't afford it right now but I'd like to know how you like the shield. :D

Flyn Tiger wrote:Morning jmerklin, I have seen several different set ups that would carry fishing poles, golf clubs to canoes. I need a welder also. Your going to give me the fever........shame in you! Lol

You are closer than I am to the Hub area. It takes me about 4.5 hours just to get to Russellville from Monroe. My 2 buddies that are new to central Ark riding took their wives up there and I seen a couple of pics of them riding 123 east and around and I saw nothing but smiles on their faces. Everybody from La that I have taken up there now can't get enough of it. We just don't have that quality of riding here, especially in the road quality department. Never know maybe I can get them up there this fall. We had already discussed going back with the wives this fall when all of us could go. I just hate it all my stuff fell on this weekend.

Well going to surf the web some. Debating on a new windshield for the bike. Looking at a F4. Dont know whether to get the 4 or the 2 that is adjustable or to get a 4 with a vent. Any advice?

Enjoy your day,
Flyn Tiger

BullCBX
2004 FJR1300ABS
1982 CBX

Postby BullCBX » Sun May 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Well spent the morning digging into the wing to try and figure out my "rotational" noise coming from the front end. The noise was there even spinning the wheel by hand while the front end was jacked up. After getting into the brakes (which BTW looked fine) decided to continue and check the bearings. For some reason I decided to spin the wheel after I disconnected the speedo cable and the noise was gone. Reconnected it and there was the noise. Kinda hard to believe a cable like that could make that much noise, but it did. So it was a real easy fix: lube the speedo cable and re-assemble. Will take the wing to work this week to confirm, but the wheel spins nice and quite now.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:48 pm

It looks like this board died a sudden death....... :x :x

Any more news about meeting in NW Arkansas?

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:04 pm

I havent spoke with anyone else about it. We have been living off a calendar since April here and will continue until at least August. Once I get my daughter moved into her apartment at college and my trip to Canada at the end of July, I'm hoping things will slow down some. I'm still keeping that ride in the back of my mind though.

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Hey Bikerguy, I'm coming your way on my way to Canada the end of July. Load up and come on. Other guy that was going with me has decided to go to Mt Rushmore so I will be going solo.

BikerGuy

Postby BikerGuy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Wish I could, Tiger but the way it looks now, I'm gonna be really busy. Now if I get a ton of dough between now and then, I might just take you up on it!!!!! :D

Flyn Tiger

Postby Flyn Tiger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm

I will be within I think 176 miles of you when I come over by Ft Smith, Ark. Come on, lets go!

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”