Bella Coola

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
purplerhody
Motorcycle: 2003 1800 Goldwing

Bella Coola

Postby purplerhody » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Has anyone taken a wing and a trailer on the Chilcotin HighWAY to Belle Coola. It is supposed to be paved all of the way now except for a 11 mile gravel section with steep grades(12 to 18%) and switchbacks . I was trying to get a sense of how "hairy" this short section is likely to be.
Anyone been there, with or without a trailer, and lived to tell.
Thanks
Ellen

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Bella Coola

Postby redial » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 pm

I have just viewed a couple of videos of the road, one in foggy conditions, and the other on a motorcycle in fairly dry conditions. It did not seem too bad, but a slow and steady approach seems to be the answer. Any road that heavy vehicles hauling logs should be accessible to someone pulling a trailer. The climb up the hill is long, and I dont imagine that you would be using top gear too often, so it just looks like a long pull up on a gravel road. The foggy video was made a couple of years ago, so I dont know if the road has improved since then. It does not look like it is open all the time, as their is a barrier at the start, so I imagine that snow could be a problem in the winter, and rain when it is not winter - it is BC after all :D
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:43 pm

This will get you to the YouTube video of the foggy drive up the Hill.

Once there, you will see other videos you can spend some time on.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:35 pm

I did it last summer on my 1500 pulling a tent trailer. There is more than 11 km of gravel but it is a good gravel road. As long as it is not raining very hard or for days on end you will be OK. The steep bit(posted as 15%) with the switch backs isnt very long but I did go down "the hill" in 1st gear with light use of only the front brake ( I was saving the rear in case things got " interesting") . If it rains the hill gets very muddy and may be too much to safely tide a wing either up or down. They do keep it wet with water trucks but not to the point of mud.

I do recommend the ride in, dont forget to check out the petroglyphs in the area its a short hike up to them but worth it. PM me for details

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”