Mackinac Bridge Ride - Tunnel of Trees

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Mackinac Bridge Ride - Tunnel of Trees

Postby nitefuzz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 am

June 9th and 10th my wife and I rode from northern Indiana up to northern Michigan. We rode the tunnel of trees and ate supper at the Leggs Inn in Crossing Village. Spent the night at the Best Western in Harbor Springs (very nice hotel and very clean). From there we went on up and crossed the Mackinac Bridge and rode US 2, westbound and then cut north through the U.P. of Michigan. Made a big loop and came back down to St. Ignace, ate a early lunch at "Clyde's Burger" drive-in (very good burgers). From there we crossed back over the bridge and rode to Traverse City, rode out the 17 mile peninsula to the light house and the old mill general store. Had to put on cold weather gear for the peninsula ride due to the temp dropping from the cold water on both sides. We then headed for home and rode straight through. Ran into rain 220 miles north of Grand Rapids, had to stop and don our rain gear, back on the road and through the rain all the way home. Was a great time and would do it again, rain and all. Rode 890 miles in two days, which included a lot of scenic detours. Had a blast.

Next big ride for us will be into sothern Ohio and on into W. Va............... sometime in August.

Nitefuzz

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Re: Mackinac Bridge Ride - Tunnel of Trees

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:57 am

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your trip. Pics to share?
When you get to South Ohio make sure that Hocking Hills is on your agenda!! Highly recommended!!! The Mrs and I stayed a weekend there and between the riding and the park system it was amazing. Each park has something unique and surprising. We stayed in one of the secluded cabins which was, yet, another highlight.

Keep us posted.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am

OnPapasWing wrote:Excellent! Thanks for sharing your trip. Pics to share?
When you get to South Ohio make sure that Hocking Hills is on your agenda!! Highly recommended!!! The Mrs and I stayed a weekend there and between the riding and the park system it was amazing. Each park has something unique and surprising. We stayed in one of the secluded cabins which was, yet, another highlight.

Keep us posted.

My wife and I take an extended weekend every summer, rent one of the cabins and ride all around Hocking Hills. The roads there are magnificent.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 am

Scott, it's most definitely a well hidden jewel of Ohio's. Although, I've seen some advertising in Michigan for Ohio travel and vacation and they do mention (albeit briefly) Hocking Hills region. Let's just keep this little treasure between us. ;) Nice videos, and Oh, btw, does someone have an anniversary coming up?? Happy Anniversary if so.

And, because the parks are State Parks there is no fee to get in. Thank you Ohio for having and maintaining this place of splendor.

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Sorry there was a type-o in my first post,............ we hit rain 20 miles north of Grand Rapids, not 220. Also the old general store on the peninsula from traverse city is called the old mission general store. Also the Legs Inn restaurant is in Cross Village, the Legs Inn is a must stop at if your in that area or you ride the Tunnel of Trees.

moneypit
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby moneypit » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 am

We are planning to ride the Tunnel of Trees the 1st weekend in Oct. then across the Mac. and stay in St Ignace. the trees should be at there best .

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Just watch the wet leaves on the road. Should be a great ride though.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”