Things to see from Seattle to San Francisco?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
joberry1
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Things to see from Seattle to San Francisco?

Postby joberry1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:25 pm

We have a small group that will be leaving Georgia the last week of August and heading to Seattle, Washington. Then head down the coast to San Francisco. We plan to ride through Mt. Ranier, Mt. St. Helen, the Sequoyah and Redwood Forests, Yosemite National Park.
Would be interested in any other advice on places to visit, places to eat and possibly stay. Also, maybe an estimate on travel time from Seattle to San Francisco. We hear it can be slow at times. This is a 3 week round trip for us.

Rigger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Things to see from Seattle to San Francisco?

Postby Rigger » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Try a short side trip down Columbia River Valley Gorge near Portland Or. Numerous waterfalls (not on the interstate but the road alongside). Road ends at Multnomah Falls. Nice lunch stop. Very high falls. Worth the trip. All in all prob 3 hrs or so. You can interstate back to Portland.
Have fun. Try and see Avenue of the Giants as well (google) very worthwhile. We overnight end in Crescent City , Ca.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm

For me (I live 2 hours south of Seattle on the I-5)....it is 13 hours straight shot to SF.

Places to stop? Several, but you will also probably find there is still not enough time in the day. For St Helens, you are going at a good time (before October) so hopefully you will catch St Helens on a clear day. If you drive down to Castle Rock (south of Seattle), exit 49 on the I-5, and then head east, you will go about 50 miles to the Johnson Observatory. It is a learning interpretive center, and then a view that does not stop, right across the valley from the crater, looking in to it. Also, the road is a good windy one, a good one to ride on.

South of "Avenue of the Giants" (the big trees south of Crescent City, CA), you can continue down the 101 Hwy to Napa Valley area, that is always beautiful wine country.

Between St Helens and Crescent City are the falls east of Portland, but then I would just recommend heading to the coast and driving down from Astoria (if you want to start there) all the way down to Crescent City. It will take a long time to get through to truly do it honest and enjoy the scenery, but well worth the run.

Below Napa Valley is San Francisco....always a good place to visit.

joberry1
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby joberry1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks, I appreciate the helpful responses.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Keep in mind that the coast in Oregon and California can be cool, wet and foggy this time of year. Taking Highway 1 along the Oregon and California coasts can be quite an adventure. Unless you have something to see in San Francisco, avoid it. Traffic is miserable and there is a lot of construction going on right now with closed roads, detours and delays. A good route from the coast to Yosemite is to take Highway 20 east out of Fort Bragg and go up to Grass Valley in the Sierra Foothills, then take Hiway 49 south to Yosemite. You can ride thru Yosemite on highway 120 and come out at Mono Lake then take 395 South. Be prepared for some heat here.

Bill

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”