All in all it was a good trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

All in all it was a good trip

Postby heholdem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:51 am

Even though my thermostat failed on the way back, all in all, it was a good trip. Saw lots of 'Merica by back roads and the weather was fairly decent. Although, my first night I stopped in Keokuk IA and when I woke in the morning it was some 52 degrees brrrr and rainy. The thing that sucked is, as I was packing for the trip it was 94 degrees at my house and I got to thinking ahh its summertime it will be warm. So packed up my rain gear and a light jacket and looked at my leathers twice and thought, "Naw, it'll be warm." Well, I won't make that mistake again. Ran in to small pockets of rain, and bad crosswinds on my way through Iowa and just beat the rain in Wisconsin on my way back, although did have some light drizzle and fog my first couple of hours on the road back south.

As far as roads go, back roads or main highways, I have to say that Missouri by far had the best with Wisconsin coming in a close second Illinois in third and sorry to say, Iowa, your roads just sucked. Small highways and back roads with sooooo many bumps and pot holes, major highways that were made of the divided concrete that were so uneven I got nauseated. And highway H, well, 12 miles of fresh oil and pea size gravel made it feel like I was riding on marbles, bad just bad! The only other real bad experience was coming back. Came out of a small town on a 2 lane 60 MPH highway and got behind a dump truck loaded with gravel that was spewing it all over the place. There was a car behind him, and after many passing opportunities that car still had not passed. So I pull out to pass and this idiot decided he was now going to go, Damn near took me out. Laid on the horn, laid on the brakes, and had to pull in behind the dump truck due to oncoming traffic. Nothing about getting pelted with gravel at 45 mph is fun! After passing the dump truck, I eventually caught up to the guy that had pulled out and proceeded to pass him while make a number of angry hand gestures in his direction.

Had a tough choice to make when I got to Wisconsin, I had earlier in the trip talked to a guy that told me WingDing was going on in Madison, so when I got to my turn off to head more North, of course there had to be a sign, Madison 50 miles. Hmm North for the 4th with family and friends or over to Madison for the WingDing? Well, family won out this time, there will be more gatherings in the future, but my grandma is 89 and I don't know how much time she has left.

So, lessons learned: Leathers, always bring your leathers. Tools are a good thing, they may take up a fair amount of room, but better to have than have not. Not only for you, but you never know who you might meet. Invest in a good seat cushion or gel pad. After day number 2 in both directions my ass was wore out. I will be purchasing one of them soon. Cruise control is a godsend. Always watch for idiots (which is a daily practice). And, most bikers, whether Harley riders or otherwise are generally good folks. I had fellow bikers waving to me across 4 lanes and 200 foot wide medians just to say hi. As one big ol' gnarly HD guy said to me along the way, "It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride."

Here are some pics although not many, cause as I came to find out my new Galaxy S4 is not well suited to taking pics while motoring.
Rubber side down Ya'll
Jake

Packed and ready to go
Packed and ready to go

Liking Mo
Liking Mo

Stonehenge Rolla MO
Stonehenge Rolla MO

Another 81 I met on the road
Another 81 I met on the road

Scenic overlook WI
Scenic overlook WI

Where I stayed
Where I stayed

Motorized Bar Stools!
Motorized Bar Stools!

Perfect
Perfect

heholdem

More Pics

Postby heholdem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 am

Grandma, part of the reason for the trip
Grandma, part of the reason for the trip

Turned over 50K
Turned over 50K

Where I was when it happened. Front view
Where I was when it happened. Front view

Where I was when it happened. Behind me
Where I was when it happened. Behind me

Thermostat fix O'Reilly's Keokuk IA
Thermostat fix O'Reilly's Keokuk IA

Love the open road
Love the open road

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: All in all it was a good trip

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:57 pm

It's really cool to see someone out touring with an Old wing.... I have an '82, and I've been on a few day trips. 200 miles on one of them. I love the bike and it sounds so much cooler than the 1500's my two buddies have. I've had her running for a month and a half and I've logged over 1500 miles. I don't think I've driven my truck in two weeks.

anyhow Love the old Wing... is it an interstate or Aspincade?

BigDee
Motorcycle: Former Rides:
1962 Honda CB90
1974 Yamaha 500 Basket case
1971 Honda 450
Current Ride:
1981 GL1100i Interstate

Postby BigDee » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:40 pm

My '81 1100 has just turned over 53,000 and except for the usual maintenance (tires, timing belt, repairs to PO's poor repairs, etc.) I love the bike. Took a short 2 day trip to the coast without highway pegs. Not recommended. But the ride was fantastic. Went down the Smith River which has some of the greatest twisties around. Because of the cage traffic the speed never gets out of hand but that just leaves more time to enjoy the ride.
Spent a lot of time in the part of the country you rode through and I know just where you were going. Wish I had heard of the Wing-Ding when I was back there. :roll:
He who throws dirt loses ground!

heholdem

Postby heholdem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Urban, mine is an 81 Gl1100 Interstate.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”