Agent Orange Cheese and the Bush Monkeys

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
futhashi
Motorcycle: 1982 interstate 1100

Re: Agent Orange Cheese and the Bush Monkeys

Post by futhashi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:08 pm

In act it was not in jest. I could say that sis what I believe happened but have no basis, or frig, why can't I make up stories as rhey did?

They had no basis whatsoever to have done what they did.....geeeze, guess im going to have to post this soon eh!!!!!

futhashi

Post by futhashi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 pm

We were in Durango, Co, and decided not to do the San Juan loop. Supposed to be quite the ride but it was 7 hours long and we were kind of beat not to mention the tent campsites in Durango were on the expensive side over $30.

I might have to go back some day to do that. It is supposed to be quite something.

We also decided to do a reversal on our route. From Durango, we were supposed to head back west to the Grand Canyon, to Las Vegas, to Yuma, to Roswell and so on until my friend's, Fulvia's departure date of Sept 20 from Phoenix, because of the hickups and delays I had to get out of Canada, Fulvia now has until Oct 11 to vacate the US. She is thinking about it.

Because my extra terrestrial signals were getting strong we decided to do a change up and headed south to Santa Fe where we spend a couple nights and now am in Roswell where the signals are much stronger. If I don't post again you can assume they came and took me home....the experiment is over! YEA!!

Yesterday we spent a couple of nights at a campground, called Rancheros, about 8 miles south of Santa Fe. It was all right and this morning, I ran into another Kanuck working there. Paul was from Winnepeg. We had a long chat about "Agent Orange and the Bush Monkeys". Not often I get to chat with earthlings about that toooo much. Hope to hear from him again. 

It was Sunday the other day in Durango and that means, problems with the wing, The Sunday before it was the hitch and this past Sunday it was a lock on one of my side bags that **** the bed. And of course all the Honda shops in the universe are closed on Sundays and Mondays. It seems the dust cover that is inside where the key goes and moves over when the key is inserted kind of shattered inside. Luckily it was open when that happened and I too the lock barrel out of the latching mechanism. I was careful to not let the pins, or in this case wafers, spring out. I wrapped it with tape and took it to a couple of locksmiths. One in Durango said forget it. can't be fixed and sent me on my way. the other in Santa Fe took a closer look at it and could not see anything inside the key hole that he could fix without taking the chrome cap off and destroying it.

With the key in, two wafers were sticking up and not flush with the barrel as they should be. He said, well take them out which he promptly did and said the lock will still work with only just 3 wafers in. And it did but am having more problems and have decided to leave it open since I almost got stuck in the closed position the other day. We store all our valuables in these locking bags and so it is a bit of a worry. I have been using a bicycle cable, but heck, is that ever inconvenient.

I will eventually run into a Honda place but I suspect the lock is something that is discontinued.....Wonder what's going to happen this Sunday...Hope it's aliens!!

Anybody out there in New Mexico have any Honda Line side bag parts?????

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Post by Breakdancer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:04 am

Agent Orange Cheese and the Bush Monkeys I thought "Oh ya, you have to read this one". Holy cats!!! I about fell off my putier chair a couple of times laughing. Not at you, but with you. Wow, what an adventure!! I'm sure there are quite a few of us nuts that are looking forward to your future posts. Keep em coming!! ( need more pics please ).
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

futhashi

Post by futhashi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:33 am

Hey BD,

yea, I'm working on the pics. It's a bit hectic riding, trying to have some fun, relaxing, taking and organising pics, and figuring out how to submitt them in some sort of order. Anyhow that is in the works. they however will be pics starting from my first post and I will try to have some sort of description.

Still looking for a lock or bike junkyard on my way.

Ride safe and stay well,
Antonio

futhashi

Sundays and Tuesdays, or The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Post by futhashi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:37 am

Well it wasn't Sunday, when things usually went wrong but it was Tuesday when my 1988 Chevy Sprint alternator, from the mod, **** the bed....the bad,went up in flames, and started spewing out smoke...the ugly, but ....“the good” thing was that my stator still worked and was the great back up that allowed me to continue my trip, without delay. This happened in El Paso and I'm now in Tucson where my alternator is now being rebuilt at an alternator spot. This alternator lasted 10489km, 6517 miles. Not bad... I guess.

While in El Paso, I searched for a bike salvage yard, still looking to find a solution for my rear bag lock. Found a spot in Tucson, http://www.crcyclestucson.com/about.html, I had phoned some bike shop in Tucson, since I was heading that way, and he said to try C and R, and that he was a Goldwing Nut. Well Don and Roger, or is that Roger and Don...got them mixed up while I was there. They were incredibly non-arrogant, incredibly sincere, and probably the most honest and “authentic” guys I have run across on this trip. They had a bunch of old Goldwings and respective parts rusting out back and I got “after market” spare clutch and fuel cables at half the price than from the Honda dealer I got a quote from in Roswell.

Thought it a good idea to get an inspection done for the next 8000 miles while I was there and “Rosebud” came out in flying colours, at less than the cost of the what they had quoted. Honest or what!!

These guys were great and answered all my questions because they wanted to help. Not sure there are a lot more like them around.

I initially went to C & R to get a lock latch assy to be able to fix same on my GL1100. I grabbed two from the back lot for $5.00 and took everything to Bruce's Locksmith on Broadway street. He could not do much with the extra locks I brought him but he did manage to utilize 3 of the pins in the original lock. The same as the lock smith in Santa Fe but this now works much better with the different keys I have. I am keeping all the parts, latches and such, in case I can find a way of getting a good cylinder with all 5 original wafers(pins) to once again fit the original keys....someday, hopefully

Going to, hopefully, pick up my rebuilt alternator tomorrow and do some touring, spend another night in Tucson and then head to Yuma the day after tomorrow.

Still have to post a bunch of things including: some of my most recent thoughts, some pics and the nazis'. I am finding it hard to do all....but will find a way.

futhashi

Post by futhashi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:39 am

"shat" the bed

futhashi

zips, alts, and shats

Post by futhashi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 am

The alternator took a few more hours than the 24 they had told me when I brought it in to “Tucson Alternator”. They phoned later in the day to say it was ready and cost $120.00. It is a bit of a “money grab” which I will mention when I go pay for it in the morning. The same exchange unit they have on their web site, even though they did not have one in stock, is $84.99. I am guessing it would be that price no matter what repairs they would do to it, but as I am just passing through, they see fit to charge extra to repair mine.

http://tucsonalternator.com/PartDetails.asp?IDNum=58397

So it is soooooo difficult to find gas down in the US without Ethanol. Some wizard way back when told me that as I get further south, especially Texas, that they don't use ethanol....NOT!! The last time I saw non-ethanol gas was in South Dakota. I keep looking at different brands and there are no shortage of different brands with every state I enter. The more south I went the worse it has got and I don't believe there is any such thing as ethanol free gas in the southern states.

Don from C&R Cycle http://www.crcyclestucson.com/about.html, while doing an inspection on my wing, mentioned that there was a spark plug knock and asked about the quality of spark plugs which were NGK changed out in Sturgis during my glove in the air vent trick. He looked in my gas tank with a flash light and said this is a brand new tank, though it was an 82. Both he and Roger agreed it was the "shitty" or "shatty" if you see the first word with an S followed by a bunch of "*", gas they had down here and were charged wayyyyyy too much for that shatty gas. He said to stick with Chevron because of something or other additive and Shell with nitrous additive, even though they both had ethanol. He also gave me an additive to add to my fuel to counter act the affects of ethanol.

Admittedly, at first, I did not notice much difference but eventually when it was off and on with the ethanol in the northern states, I did notice some excessive pinging.

The other thing with filling up the gas tank is that when we entered Colorado, and south, the pumps kept asking us for our zip code and that would be the one used by the credit card for billing. Since the American zip code is 5 numbers, I started using 12345 and most of the stations worked with that. Some did not and if we were very low on gas and it was late, and the place was not open, the card was rejected at the pump and we could be screwed....luckily that has not happened yet, but is a very clear and present reality. We would have to set up camp at the pumps until morning.

Canadian postal codes have 3 letters and 3 numbers so that won't work on their pump-side keyboards. Since Fulvia is buying the gas with an Italian Visa...that is not going to work. Now, in the southern states, the 12345 does not work at all. So we have to be very careful.

Off to Yuma tomorrow to spend a few days. I might see about getting a crown on a tooth in Los Algodones , Mexico, and new souls on my comfortably worked in, but very hot boots.

We decided to take a break from tenting(another post, coming up) and found the Rodeway motel for $32, with taxes is $38 per night, in Touson. Not much more than a KOA camp site. May do the same in 3:10 to Yuma

Still have lots of posts to catch up with but...darn..... it takes time and energy. Got to get some pics out too. And then there's the nazis'!!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:19 am

We have very few places where gas can be purchased without ethanol in it close to where I live. I have taken to using a little two cycle engine oil in my gas tank at nearly every fill up. It may not do anything for my motorcycle engine, but it does make me feel better. Someone (can't remember who) told me the 2-cycle oil helps to lubricate the engine as ethanol doesn't have the same lubrication qualities as gasoline (it's "dryer") and my GL1200 does seem to run better with a LITTLE of the oil in the gas.

I was told to use the kind of 2-cycle oil for outboard motors. If I recall correctly, the rating is TC-W3 or something close to that. It is supposed to be "low ash" producing 2-cycle oil, and it doesn't smoke as bad as the stuff they sell for chainsaws and weed-eaters. I buy it by the gallon, at Walmart... the "SuperTech" brand, and I add 3-4 ounces per fill up. If the bike smokes a little at idle, I skip a tank or two to clear out the excess oil in the fuel.

Some people have told me they have experienced an increase in miles per gallon in their bikes when they add a little oil. I can't report much, if any increase in economy, but the engine does seem "quieter." I know it is subjective, and I'm sure someone will give you an alternate opinion. It's just something that may give you a little relief from the ethanol and if you experiment with a tank or two and you don't like it, you can always stop adding oil to your gas.

Be safe.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

futhashi

Post by futhashi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:25 am

Hey Hawkeye,

Thanks for the advice. I have never heard of the oil. Wish I had the opportunity to ask Roger and Don at C&R cycle about it.

I think your safe with your opinion, there doesn't seem to be any other opinion on this site, and I sure do appreciate yours, or any other that may show up out of the blue.

Stay well and ride safe.

futhashi

Battle of the Bands

Post by futhashi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:26 am

In Roswell we stayed at the only place that would except tents. The Red Barn, about 2 miles west. The other places were state parks more than 10 miles out. The Red Barn was set up for RV; only but the lady there, Leigh(sp?) fit tents in where ever she could and since she was not full gave us an RV spot with a grassy spot next to the gravel pull in.

A temporary caretaker there, Ricky Ricardo or as he introduced himself, Richard, had a nice little shadow 750. He also had a small compressor that he insisted I use to top up my ride. It was welcome as my rear tire and rear shocks were a tad low. Leigh and Richard (not related) were very nice and very accommodating, we stayed for 4 nights ay $15.00 free showers, $1.00 for ice cream, $1.50 for laundry and ice, all on the honour system. Ricky Ricardo is a tad deaf so you can hear his TV really loud in the evenings.

The last night we stayed there , Saturday, leaving Sunday, at about 5 am, the RV next door to me came alive with what appeared to be an alarm set on a TV and a soap-opera playing. It was so loud that I was convinced there were outdoor speakers. I assumed it was an alarm because it happened the morning before but did not lats too long because buddy had to go to work. Sunday morning was probably his day off and it lasted a very long time, and he obviously chose to ignore it as to shut it off. Meanwhile in the cabin in front of us Ricky R, was restless around the same time and turned his TV on, with different program on it and very, very loud. It might be that they do this on Sundays to see who can out do the other, “battle of the bands” or as with my experience tenting in this era of RV's, they may have thought OK, it's time for the tent to go. It was kinda nice since we wanted to get an early start anyway, and we had everything set up including the tent trailer part with tarps so we got some shade and relief from the thunderstorms about on those days.

Eventually, they both shut down and we kept o packing up and left while both were, no doubt, catching up on their sleep.

Although I enjoy it, I have found travelling with a tent very frustrating. I'm thinking 90% of the places that call themselves campgrounds don't allow tents. There i even a KOA that does not allow tenting in Tucson, first time I have seen that.

Most tenting is way, way out of town, so I have have to do something, it's a lot of driving. In Yellowstone we were tenting out of ton in a gov campground, Bakers Hole CG, and we got a bit damp one morning after a downpour so we strung up a piece of twine to dry out out sleeping bags and anything hat got hit. The caretaker came over and said were were not allowed to tie anything to the trees but if we had a couple of vehicles, like an RV towing a hummer, we could tie up between them.

The last place in El Paso, Mission RV, tents were only allowed a a maximum of 3 night and it was empty. Guess they don't need the money. There was a rule of no working on rides there, so after my alt fired, I had to covertly dash up to continue my sewing and drinking cold beer at the picnic table when the golf cart went by, every now and again.

Some places it is just so darn hard to find a places where it does not say, no tents!!! It sucks. Shity, and/or shaty.

Yesterday we went for a very nice twisty and turny ride through the west Sanguaro national park. Where the numerous and majestic Sanguaro cacti live. It was an incredible drive. We then headed up to Biosphere 2 and just made it for the last tour at 4:15 pm and so it was just the 2 of us. We were wondering that there had to have been a Biosphere 1 since 2 does come after one, but quickly learned that "ONE" is the planet Earth. I'm into that and so the Agent Orange Cheese thing and so another post.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Post by Breakdancer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Antonio,
From the research I've done on this, not a ton but some, Seafoam seems to be right up there in the ranks to counteract the effects of ethanol. I've also heard about Hawks' remedy of using two stroke oil for outboards mixed in the gas. I did some surfing this morning and read about an additive made by Star bright called "Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment". It also displaces water and should help to keep the carbs clean. I've never used it. Have always used Seafoam myself. Also, Briggs and Stratton has a stabilizer to ward off the effects of that nasty corn gas. Star Tron can be found at some auto parts locations, while Seafoam and B & S Fuel Stabilizer can be had at Lowes, Walmat, or I would imagine almost any auto parts location. Not sure what they have down in that part of the world for auto parts. Pep Boys? Just my 2cents.

On another note. You sparked my need to get out and ride instead of just riding to work and back. Last Sat. my wife wanted to go to a truck show, (semi trucks), in Eau Clair Wi. and also meet Alex Debogorski. This guy drives on the ice roads (Across the center of a frozen lake), up in your part of the world. CRAZY!! Anyways, it was only 250 mile round trip. They were calling for rain most of the day but figured why not, but we're taking the bike. Had a great time at the show. Rain was holding off and met Alex. What a nice guy. The clouds were starting to build and it was getting later in the day so figured we better head out. Topped off the tank and made it maybe 6 miles and it started sputtering and coughing. Ahhhh. Now its getting darker out and I can barely hold 45mph. Lets see here, 125 miles from home, starting to pour, and only one set of rain gear. So while I'm getting soaked, and my wife is high and dry, I'm hoping I can make it to the next exit where there is a gas station. 2 miles from the exit the bike clears up. Running great. I thought maybe it cleared itself out. The rain let up and I thought all was well. 50 miles later she started bucking again,(the bike). And now it started raining so hard I was wondering if this is the part where the tornado crosses the highway and we start seeing flying cows. Now the bike would run good for a few miles and then start acting up. Back and forth. We made it to another gas station where i put in a half a bottle of isopropel to displace the water. Hoping that's all it is. Capped off with some more premium and took the back roads the rest of the way home without even a burp. I hope this isn't an electrical issue. I'll have to put some more miles on to find out. Oh, and when we got home, a half a can of Seafoam. Crossing my fingers.... Hope you guys are having a great time. Googled the Biospheree 2. Cool..Looks like its somewhere on another planet.(wouldn't that be fun) ;)
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, so I'll try to make this brief. I've tried Star-Tron and it didn't seem to "do" anything. Maybe that's the point? I've also used some other product(s) recommended by various other sources to "offset" Ethanol.

Sometimes I wish I paid more attention in Chemistry Class, as it may have helped me more than I know when it comes to actually knowing what products can do to improve performance. Ethanol loves water. If water gets in your fuel, the ethanol will absorb all it can. The fuel will get milky looking if it is saturated with water. A local motorcycle mechanic (He does it for a living) told me ethanol is also a great solvent and it will dissolve things we don't normally want it to... He has told me twice now that the majority of his business is carb rebuilds caused by gasoline "sitting" in carbs for extended periods of time. What used to be considered an extended period of time was a few months. Ethanol in the gas has been a game changer. If the gas has ethanol AND has a fairly high percentage of water in the fuel (1% water, in his words is saturation where the "gas" isn't "gas" any more), sitting for as little as 30 days can ruin a set of carbs. This is one reason I started putting massive quantities of fuel stabilizer in my "stand by" generator at the house.

I don't know if adding a little 2-cycle oil will do any good. So far it doesn't seem to have done any harm. I've also been told that the information I just wrote (above) is bogus on a different web site. It isn't something I necessarily believe in... however, it always makes me wonder what profit is in it for a motorcycle mechanic (who is making a good living by all accounts rebuilding carbs) to lie to me about what he sees when he takes these carbs apart? He sells me a few parts and we talk bikes when I go in there.... he has never worked on anything I own.

Anyhow... my thoughts on your previous comments about most campgrounds no longer allowing tent camping. I wonder if they feel like "transient" or "homeless" people are more likely to tent camp than "regular" folks and by doing away with tent camping they can cater to a different class of camper... obviously I won't be camping in one of the places that doesn't allow tents. I don't have enough class for a hard camper.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

futhashi

Post by futhashi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:39 am

Hey Breakdancer and Hawkeye,

Great to hear your comments on this stuff. I don't think it would be called hijacking a thread when one has their own ideas to share and maybe help. Happy to hear from anybody, especially if it helps. I am posting the same thing over at Goldwingfacts and "Azgl1500 sent me a link to all the non-alcohol distributors (not the liquor stores) in your nation"

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

At first when it came up all in blue pin-ups designating locations, I thought...WTF.... was I thinking and where the heck have I been looking as it seems you would trip over one in every block, "BUT" when you zoom in to where I am....in "oil" country, they are very few and far in-between.

Going back a bit: None in Moab, wish I had this map in Durango, only one outside Santa Fe, wish I had this map in Roswell, none in Las Cruces or El Paso( no refineries there, what! :o ), One in Deming but it was in town and not the one we stopped at on the highway, none in Tucson, and one in Yuma(Yea!!) which I am going to go on the hunt for in an hour after I finish my coffee. Love's travel stop #349, 2931 E Gila Ridge Rd, Yuma, AZ.

Cheaper than a tent site at a KOA, if you can find a tent site, we decided to stay at a local motel for $24 plus tax a night. It's not bad and nice to have a personal bathroom though I suspect there might be the odd roach joining us sometime, not something I have not done before. It's got a pool, fridge, microwave and coffee pot. By the time I get to the bathroom, my feet are black from the carpet....guess that means the carpet is a tad cleaner now :roll:

The battle of the bands from my previous post may well be seen as the battle between the RV's and the tents. Guess who is loosing? I don't remember it ever being like this, but I have not done this extensive a tenting trip in a frac of a long time. Never too old...eh wot!! One RV guy in El Paso came over to chat and I was a bit frustrated over the 3 day limit for only tents. I mentioned that when I win the 50 million dollar lottery I was going to buy all the RV lots in his country(though Canada is little different) and have them "no RV's" allowed only tents he would have to go Walmart camping. Which brings me to the point that a lot of these gravel pits call them selves campgrounds, so when we see a sign on the highway "Campground 1 mile" we might get a little disappointed when we arrive.

"Campers world", as I stopped in Las Cruces to find some tarp poles, found out that they should change their name to "RV Shat"!!!

futhashi

alternator revisted and renewed

Post by futhashi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:11 am

Got my Alternator back yesterday from: http://tucsonalternator.com/PartDetails.asp?IDNum=58397

The guy at the counter was no where as good looking as the gal respresented at the top of this web page. I might have mentioned that if they would have had my alternator, 1988 chevy sprint, it would have cost $84.99 with free shipping, getting the core back was extra but not relevant in this case.

I was going to be charged $129.99. This made absolutely no sense to me as I was just giving him the same business, with no investments just hanging around on a shelf.

On Saturday, yesterday, I asked to see the manager and buddy said he could help as he was an owner. I mentioned that the one he might have had on the shelf, but did not, could have had all the repairs that mine had had and I could have got it for $84.99. He started with how rare it was and started to read off the parts and labour put in, where I stopped him and again said that would not have mattered if he was putting this one on the shelf to wait for a buyer for $84.99. We settled for $101,62, including all the taxes.
I think he caught on in the end, but I did not get it for $84.99. That price may now change on their web site, I would think....

Replaced: brushes, brush holder, bearings, regulator, rotor.
For some reason I thought this alt was good for 35 amps but when buddy looked it up, he said it was a 55 amper and that I could now squeeze quite a bit more than that out-o-er!!!

I have to make time some day soon to intstall it
Attachments

alt renewed 1
alt renewed 1

alt renewed 2
alt renewed 2

alt renewed 3
alt renewed 3

futhashi

Who put the “no” in etha-no-l??

Post by futhashi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:52 pm

The page: http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html, which apparently has all the ethanol free stations in the USA pined on-line each with an address, I found one station in Yuma:

Love's #349, 2931 E Gila Ridge Rd, Yuma, AZ; 928-341-9100; ethanol-free

This morning I quickly swilled down a few coffees and headed out for the hunt. Found it and pulled up to the pump and found the warning that I have grown to know and love....”may contain up to 10% ethanol”. So much for that map. Now when I bring that up, I see those blue pins turning red in my minds eye. Maybe an indication of the political colour scheme down here..... Though I think it healthier to stick with the blue for a couple more terms.

So count Yuma out, and maybe so many others for ethanol free, This may have been a thing of the past as is tent camping about to be. I dare say an update might be in order for “pure-gas.org” as it finds it is not as pure as it thought.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:19 am

I tried that map a while ago. It showed an "ethanol free" station about 22 miles from the house, so I loaded up a couple of 2-gallon gas cans and went for a ride. I was also disappointed to find the "this fuel contains 10% Ethanol" on the pump. I deleted the link to the "ethanol free" gas station thingy when I got home.

There's one station just west of Windsor, Virginia on the south side of highway 460 if anyone reading this is in that area. It's too far for it to make any sense for me to go there regularly to fill up, but I do use their fuel when I'm in the area.

futhashi

Post by futhashi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi,

I just phoned the "Love's" in Yuma to make sure they might have had one pump I did not see yesterday with ethanol free. The gal on the phone confirmed that yes indeed they had "NO" bananas, or ethanol free gasoline at their station, so I too removed this one from "the" map....hey, sounds like a revolution refining!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:56 pm

futhashi wrote:Hi,

I just phoned the "Love's" in Yuma to make sure they might have had one pump I did not see yesterday with ethanol free. The gal on the phone confirmed that yes indeed they had "NO" bananas, or ethanol free gasoline at their station, so I too removed this one from "the" map....hey, sounds like a revolution refining!!
Just a hint - if you have a (boat) marina anywhere nearby, they will normally have ethanol-free fuel.

futhashi

the mighty river that wasn't......anymore

Post by futhashi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm sorry but I just got a chuckle from what you said, and what In have been just learning on this grand adventure, and I realize you are referring to others by bigger waterways, and I appreciate the input.

The thundering Colorado river going through the many canyons including the grand and some lakes where there are probably power boats ends up as a teency weency trickle in Yuma, compared to what it was. I was watching a time lapsed film at Biosphere 2 outside Tucson about a bunch traveling the Colorado in It's entirety. They started with snow shoes and then mostly kayaks and then at the end it was a hike to the Sea of Cortez. The last subtitle was " We made it in 133 days to the sea of Cortez. The Colorado River did not"

It was impactful!

Evilrick
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1977 750K (hot rod), still miss it sometimes.
650 Trump. 450 CB, 400 Suzi dirt & street, 2 or 3 360 Enduro Yamaha's, 400 TM Yamaha (dirt only), 350 Kaw, 125 Enduro Yamaha, even had an 106 Allstate when I was real young, Sears sold them about 50 yrs ago. Do I really need to list the rest?

Post by Evilrick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Sounds to me like your having a good ride. Always wanted to do a yr. long trip, but never had the money or the bike I would trust. All these years later and the urge is still there. Since I got my new (kinda) Oldwing, I been planning a ride. Gonna get to know the old girl a bit first. Maybe do a little clean-up and touch-up over the winter. Hoping to go for a ride next yr. The plan is to go I don't know where and stay for however long it takes to see all I want to see, and then go somewhere else. Any way, that's the plan, took a long time to work it out.
No matter where you go, there you are. It's not the destination that matters. Getting there safe does.

Intruder14
Motorcycle: 2003 Gold Wing

Post by Intruder14 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Antonio, thanks for the story. I don't have anything to add, except encouragement. You make me glad my Wing is only 13 years old, lol. But trips like yours make the best tales. Keep 'em coming, guy.
Steve

jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Post by jdavidsmit » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 am

What a great trip, sounded like fun even with the few problems.
Where are you now? what has happen between Aug and Nov?

David
David

Metal Mangler
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing
2012 Goldwing (totaled got rear ended)
1988 Goldwing (Sold)
1980 Goldwing (Sold)

Post by Metal Mangler » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:45 pm

just found your post yesterday I have read your entire post. I see where you stopped posting.I hope you plan on finishing your trip as I do think it is quite interesting. Seems like you're having a wonderful time I've took a couple of trips 5 days or so but never nothing like this sounds like it would be grand .please finish.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

barnaclebill
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing SE Trike conversion (Totally submerged in 2011 floods),
rebuilt with replacement 1992 engine

quite an outstanding write-up of a fabulous journey, and do hope that it continues.

Post by barnaclebill » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:00 am

My utmost admiration goes out to you! It's every biker's dream to get out on the road - forever! I'm way past it now (80-y-o-a), but still push my "Oldwing" (I like that description) every day, but my days are numbered. Quite an outstanding write-up on an incredulous journey, and the envy of every biker around. Looking forward to the next round! Take care, and enjoy your ride.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 am

You know how to get the attention of us poor people that have to stay home! Now that you have our attention with a procative subject, and an unfinished story:
  • When are you going to write the RCMN episode?
    How did you formal complaint turn out?
    Where are you currently?
    Are you having a good time?

Sorry for the questions, but it is like waiting for the other shoe to drop!

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.