Early fall ride. Northwest Arkansas or Va / West Va.

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Rigger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Early fall ride. Northwest Arkansas or Va / West Va.

Postby Rigger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Got a free week or so. Both destinations are about the same distance. Thinking Harrison County, Ar. Also have brochures on Virginias.
Thoughts / comments pls.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Early fall ride. Northwest Arkansas or Va / West Va.

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:16 am

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 am

Been there so many times I could run a tour group.... Which I've done 3 times. Almost first name basis with Killboy. Cherohola, Moonshiner, etc.
just looking for new territory.
Appreciate your reply.
Ride safely.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:35 am

I don't recall a Harrison County Arkansas but there is a Harrison, Ar. (town) That area is a great place to ride. A little East of Harrison is Eureka Springs. This would be a better destination if you plan on spending a few days riding the area. There are bunches of riding roads near the area. State hwy 23 (Pig Trail). I rate it excellent. East of there is Push Mountain. Also excellent. North are roads up into Missouri. One that you can take a nice ferry ride across Table Rock Lake. If you are into tourist attractions Branson and Silver Dollar City aren't far. Just be prepared to fight a lot of traffic there. I could go on and on.
In fact we go there every Labor Day weekend. Will be there this Saturday morning. Attending a meet and greet. A bunch of guys and gals from the Steve Saunders site started a meet there about 10 years ago and we go every year. Common down.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:22 am

Harrison is what I meant. Just rec'd som literature from that area. Eureka Sogs to Hot Spgs Byway 7 (?) is said to be nice. Thinking of staying at The Hub in Marble Falls, Ar. Riding solo this trip so looking for economy. Hub is $60 per night.
Tnx again. Where ar you from?

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:57 am

I guess you've probably ridden Skyline Drive and the Blueridge Parkway already... There are so many beautiful places in the US to see. I'm kind of fond of Eastern Kentucky, near Whitesburg, Pound Gap (Pound, Va.) and the areas on both sides of the Virginia / Kentucky border.

I also like the ride from the Southern part of Virginia, near Farmville, up Rt. 15 into Pennsylvania. Last time I went to Gettysburg, that's the way I went. If you enjoy visiting Civil War sites, that is a great ride through the Shenandoah Valley. There are lots of places to stop and see/read hystorical markers, beautiful scenery and the road was in good condition a couple of years back..

I've never ridden through Arkansas, but a friend of mine lives in Russellville and he is alwys telling me about the great riding there. I figure either way you go, you can't lose. Taking time to go on an adventure beats being at home or at work any day in my way of thinking.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Rigger wrote:Harrison is what I meant. Just rec'd som literature from that area. Eureka Sogs to Hot Spgs Byway 7 (?) is said to be nice. Thinking of staying at The Hub in Marble Falls, Ar. Riding solo this trip so looking for economy. Hub is $60 per night.
Tnx again. Where ar you from?

That is a very nice ride also. Rode it only once though. Not quite as twisty as some of the others I mentioned but worth the time spent. Hot Springs is a nice town too. You will still be close to the other routes I mentioned if you have the time.

I am from Oklahoma City. Arkansas is the closest state with nice riding riding roads so we go there often. Have a great and safe trip.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 pm

First of all....Get a Butler Map (Ozarks) . I would cross the river and pick up 60 and work your way down to 160 which will pick up 412 to NW Ar. Mo 60 and 160 are the only east west roads to make time . Any road south of 60 or 160 is great. Hot springs area is great as Springdale ,eureka springs ,Fayetteville area. Just came thru Mo and all the roads are in good shape. Mo 35 mph curve signs have forgiveness . AR curve signs, not so much. AQ Chicken House in Springdale AR. is worth the trip. This NW is corner is pretty steady traffic. If your camping, the state parks are double nice. 7,9,59 pig trail,are just a few good highways. If you have time,71 south to Mena and do Talamena Drive. It will all be good...your on vacation. Have a good ride....
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Intruder14
Motorcycle: 2003 Gold Wing

Postby Intruder14 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 pm

First, listen to Redbud. As much as I love Fontana, DO go see the Ozarks. I liked Cherohola better than The Dragon, but then, I'm an old 'winger, right?! Every place has it's own thrill. Seems like I've been everywhere BUT the Grand Canyon, but I keep coming back to Arkansas. Deadwood (yeah, I know), and the Black Hills were awesome, but there is something peaceful about the Ozarks.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:42 am

I have a sister who lives in Russellville. I was there in July and made the run up to Branson. There is a lot of great riding and beautiful scenery in the Ozark mountains...........
Bill

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am

Appreciate all the replies. I'm now thinking of holding off till October and try to catch some colors....

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”