trans-canada: breaking camp (video)

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
seattleboatguy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE

trans-canada: breaking camp (video)

Postby seattleboatguy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 pm

I left my 1500 SE in Oregon last winter, and then rode it back to my home in Virginia this summer. Much of the trip was through Southern Canada, and it is really beautiful up there. I mostly camped at night during the trip, and every morning the "breaking camp" routine was pretty much the same. So, one morning in Medicine Hat, Alberta, I thought I would made a video just for fun of all the stuff I did each morning when loading up the Wing. I'll be adding more videos of the actual ride in the weeks ahead as time allows. The link to this first "breaking camp" video is:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: trans-canada: breaking camp (video)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Nice! I particularly like the painter's drop sheet idea. I'm looking forward to more videos from your trip. Just a couple comments:

1. Checking your oil has to be done in a very specific way: the bike must be on the center stand, the dipstick is removed, wiped clean, and reinserted - but NOT screwed into place. Then pull back out and read the oil level. Reading the oil level when the dipstick has just been unscrewed, or when the bike is not on the center stand, will give an incorrect reading.

2. That's not your transmission fluid, it's your rear brake fluid reservoir. The transmission uses engine oil. :)

seattleboatguy

Postby seattleboatguy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:06 am

Well, I just learned two very important things. Thanks for taking the time to give me a little coaching, WingAdmin. I need all the help I can get.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks for posting that. That's why I love my trailer. :) :lol:
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:24 pm

I bet in the rain this packing would be more interesting just to keep stuff dry as possible.

I agree on the trailer, it really simplifies with camping gear and other stuff.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

jacksprat54
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Postby jacksprat54 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Nice video! I thought I knew it all(well, most all of it) when it came to packing a bike for a camping trip. Thanks for a couple of new ideas! One question; where's your camp stove? :D

seattleboatguy

Postby seattleboatguy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 pm

jacksprat54 wrote:One question; where's your camp stove? :D

I did not take a stove with me.

jacksprat54
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Postby jacksprat54 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:21 pm

seattleboatguy wrote:
jacksprat54 wrote:One question; where's your camp stove? :D

I did not take a stove with me.

Must not be a caffeine fiend like me! ;)

deadendbill
Motorcycle: 2005 HD Road King
2009 Suzuki C50T

Postby deadendbill » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:59 am

Nice video! There appears to be some kind of rack on the dash of the bike that has the camera bag and other stuff fastened to it. Can you provide any info on the "rack"? A problem I have on a cross country ride is keeping the camera handy. I like the note book right up front too. There is value in that video due to the small stuff / tips shown. Well done! Thank you

seattleboatguy

Postby seattleboatguy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:51 am

deadendbill wrote:Nice video! There appears to be some kind of rack on the dash of the bike that has the camera bag and other stuff fastened to it. Can you provide any info on the "rack"? A problem I have on a cross country ride is keeping the camera handy. I like the note book right up front too. There is value in that video due to the small stuff / tips shown. Well done! Thank you

Hi Bill. The "rack" you refer to is pretty low tech. I made it out of plexiglass. I glued some soft cork-like gasket material to the bottom so it would grip a little better and scratch my dash area a little less. The plexiglass is held in place with 2 straps I made. The GPS and Xm radio mount to the plexiglass using suction cup mounts. My camera and water bottle clip to the plexiglass with carabiners. Normally, it works reasonably well for a low-cost home-made solution. However, the suction cup will occstionally un-sunction itself, which can make for a lot of excitement at 60 mph. I am looking at either glue or bolts in the future to keep the suction cup gizmos in place 100% of the time. Here is a picture...

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”