San Diego and North up the Cali Coast.

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Al Waters
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Gold Wing

San Diego and North up the Cali Coast.

Postby Al Waters » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:23 pm

I enjoy reading the adventures out here as it gives me a pretty good wish list. So I will toss mine out here that was just completed last week. I used the Tyre program that WingAdmin suggested and imported it to my Garmin. Trip Advisor and Yelp were a big help on places to stay and eat. And it was smart to make hotel reservations in advance in some at some of our stays.

We left the San Diego area early on a Friday to get through Los Angeles. Traveled though Solvang and Cambria and stayed in Sam Simion (Hearst Castle area). Saturday was the run up the 1 to Monterey. Only 100 miles but there was so much to see it took us all day.

On Sunday, we got back on the 101 crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and headed for Healdsburg above Santa Rosa. On Monday we headed out the 128 (beautiful ride) to Fort Bragg to Eureka (of course stopping by the Riverwood Inn and going through the drive through tree) and more Redwoods.
Tuesday was real interesting. We doubled back and did the Lost Coast Highway to Ferndale (Victorian homes) to Petrolia to Honeydew and back through the Avenue of the Giants and on up to Gold Beach, Oregon. Not the most comfortable on a Wing but really scenic.

This is a must. We took the day Wednesday to ride the 104 Jerry's Jet Boat Ride up the Rogue River.

Thursday was head back home day. We did the Mystery of Trees where Paul Bunyan and Babe are located staying the night in Fort Bragg.

Friday we decided to shoot over to the Napa Valley by way of the 20 to Clear Lake and on to Fairfield. We got there in time to take the Jelly Belly Jelly Bean factory tour.

Saturday we headed down the 101 to Morro Bay and stayed in San Luis Obispo.

Sunday morning was the last day of heading back home. 2290 miles.

I could go in to a lot of details about the Craft Breweries we went to and downtown restaurants that were really unique but I would suggest going to Yelp and Trip Advisor as there were many to choose from with very good ratings.

There were towns that probably would have been better to stay at but there was something unique that we wanted to see where we did stay.

The low the whole time was 54 and the high was 99. We were very fortunate.

Thanks,
Al WAters

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”