Ride Through Colorado


Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:12 pm



Hi All

I just wanted to share a little video of me and 3 of my friends riding on one of my favorite roads in Colorado. This is the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Silverton. What a great ride.
Please watch and let me know what you think.





David



User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dingdong » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:41 am

Good Memories for me. Thanks for the vid. I have ridden from Durango to Ouray three times. I recall a couple of pucker factor spots along there what with the road having no guard rails.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:42 pm

dingdong wrote:Good Memories for me. Thanks for the vid. I have ridden from Durango to Ouray three times. I recall a couple of pucker factor spots along there what with the road having no guard rails.


yes there are several spots that are straight down without guardrails. Great road though.
Thanks for watching the video and for commenting

User avatar
Mag
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Silverlake, WA
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby Mag » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:35 pm

I like how all of you "dance" back in forth in altered positions when changing lanes. Oh, and surprised after 3 mins when you had the still pics of each other, I was expecting a still of the tanker truck behind one of you, lol.

Good times, glad you had them, and thank s for sharing.

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Enjoyable well put together video, I noticed when parked up you had your screens covered, why was that?
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Mag wrote:I like how all of you "dance" back in forth in altered positions when changing lanes. Oh, and surprised after 3 mins when you had the still pics of each other, I was expecting a still of the tanker truck behind one of you, lol.

Good times, glad you had them, and thank s for sharing.

Thank you fir the nice comments. If you would like I can get a shot of that tanker for you. I am sure it would look real cool in slomo

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:34 pm

LegsandaWing wrote:Enjoyable well put together video, I noticed when parked up you had your screens covered, why was that?

Hmmm I don't remember that I guess I will have to go back and watch for that. I know I usually throw something over my windshield when parked outside because I don't like the sun hitting my dash.

User avatar
Wilcoy02
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: Marengo, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15


98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Great ride. Thanks for the video. I lived out there for a year and boy do I miss it.

Where did you mount your camera? What kind of camera?

I ask because that is what I want to do on my ride to Alaska. I want to post a daily journal with a video like this.

Thanks again for sharing.

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:17 am

dheaton wrote:I know I usually throw something over my windshield when parked outside because I don't like the sun hitting my dash.


If that is the case, I do not have to worry about too much sun, perhaps why I have never seen it in the UK, unless I have and missed it.

Perhaps the reason behind the tinted screen apart from cosmetics.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dingdong » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:16 am

With some shields especially the Tulsa tall the sun reflects off of the inside if the shield and warps the dash plastic. I too have a cover for mine.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:16 am

Hello
I mount my GoPro Hero 3 camera on top of the left mirror. That way if my remote dies I can still operate it manually.
Thanks for watching and commenting.


Wilcoy02 wrote:Great ride. Thanks for the video. I lived out there for a year and boy do I miss it.

Where did you mount your camera? What kind of camera?

I ask because that is what I want to do on my ride to Alaska. I want to post a daily journal with a video like this.

Thanks again for sharing.

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:19 am

dingdong wrote:With some shields especially the Tulsa tall the sun reflects off of the inside if the shield and warps the dash plastic. I too have a cover for mine.

I have seen that and don't want it to happen to my dash so just to be safe I cover mine.

User avatar
fixdent
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:22 pm
Location: Red Lake, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby fixdent » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Looked like a great trip.....and very nice video.

I just got out of the Canadian winter, down to Phoenix for a couple weeks. Man, I wish I had my bike down there.

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 pm

fixdent wrote:Looked like a great trip.....and very nice video.

I just got out of the Canadian winter, down to Phoenix for a couple weeks. Man, I wish I had my bike down there.

--
Gordon

II am sure you are enjoying it down there. Thanks for watching the video

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:27 am

I enjoyed the video. It looks like you and your group had a great ride through some of the prettiest scenery anywhere in the world! Even the snake(s) and lizard(s) had a good time... I looked hard when you panned to the sage brush, hoping to get a glimpse of a big old Mule Deer, but didn't see any :-) I love Colorado ... no disrespect to anywhere else on the planet, but the beauty of Colorado is unrivaled in my opinion... there are a few places as nice, but I can't think of any better... well, MAYBE parts of Alberta...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks Hawkeye for the comments. I appreciate you watching the video and commenting.
By the way have you ever been to Boulder, Utah? Just sayin



HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I enjoyed the video. It looks like you and your group had a great ride through some of the prettiest scenery anywhere in the world! Even the snake(s) and lizard(s) had a good time... I looked hard when you panned to the sage brush, hoping to get a glimpse of a big old Mule Deer, but didn't see any :-) I love Colorado ... no disrespect to anywhere else on the planet, but the beauty of Colorado is unrivaled in my opinion... there are a few places as nice, but I can't think of any better... well, MAYBE parts of Alberta...

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Never been to Utah. After I wrote that, I thought about some of the other spectacular places on the planet that I've only seen in photos, and I guess I did get a little carried away LOL
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

User avatar
Uncle Fester
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm
Location: Bethany, Ok, right off Route 66 !
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:35 pm

I loved my various rides on the Million Dollar, but the drops take away from my enjoyment, SOME. . . A favorite ride of mine in Colorado is the Big Thompson canyon from Estes Park to Lions, much shorter ride , yes, but vey scenic with the river on one side The rivers changes sides from time to time, and the canyon walls going UP on the other side, much less of a pucker factor , so that makes it more enjoyable for me. :D
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Image

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:00 pm

I have done that one as well. Yes, a very nice ride


Uncle Fester wrote:I loved my various rides on the Million Dollar, but the drops take away from my enjoyment, SOME. . . A favorite ride of mine in Colorado is the Big Thompson canyon from Estes Park to Lions, much shorter ride , yes, but vey scenic with the river on one side The rivers changes sides from time to time, and the canyon walls going UP on the other side, much less of a pucker factor , so that makes it more enjoyable for me. :D

User avatar
CMReynolds1
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:56 pm
Location: Oregon
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby CMReynolds1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Thank you for the great video. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Ride Safe,
Taz


TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

dheaton
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am
Location: Boulder, Utah
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby dheaton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Thank you for watching and commenting


CMReynolds1 wrote:Thank you for the great video. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

User avatar
redial
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 am
Location: Kapunda, SouthAustralia
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby redial » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:28 pm

On my last trip to the USA, we did that journey. Being used to driving on the left of the road, that part of the drive certainly had the old rear end sphincter working overtime. My wife was particularly nervous, she was sitting in the passenger seat! :shock: She was certainly nervous with that big drop on her side, and no guard rails whatsoever.

In Oz, we would have guard rails on a road like that, at least on the pucker side. Great video, and thanks for sharing.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:39 pm

redial wrote:On my last trip to the USA, we did that journey. Being used to driving on the left of the road, that part of the drive certainly had the old rear end sphincter working overtime. My wife was particularly nervous, she was sitting in the passenger seat! :shock: She was certainly nervous with that big drop on her side, and no guard rails whatsoever.

In Oz, we would have guard rails on a road like that, at least on the pucker side. Great video, and thanks for sharing.


A number of years ago, I drove from Toronto to Las Vegas over two days, and two days later did the same trip back. On the way out, when I went through Denver and the Colorado mountains, it was the dead of night. I fell in behind a local with Colorado plates who was flying over the mountain roads at insane speeds. Some of the curves I took at a higher speed than I probably should have, but he was pulling it off, and I had a better car, so I figured I was OK.

On the trip back, I did the same route in the daytime. I was absolutely horrified to see that the curvy mountain roads that I had been flying over at 80+ mph in the pitch dark, had sheer cliff drop-offs, literally a few feet from the edge of the road where I had been driving - with no guard rails of any kind!

User avatar
Wilcoy02
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm
Location: Marengo, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15


98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Ride Through Colorado

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Yes in Colorado they believe that everyone should realize the dangers out west. If there is a sign of some sort -- like danger-- They REALLY mean it.

Glad you made a safe trip.




Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chickenlegs and 1 guest