so the wife wants to road tripe to Maine

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
honda1982
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade 1988 GL1500 1990 GL1500 trike

so the wife wants to road tripe to Maine

Postby honda1982 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:13 pm

so wifey wants to go to Maine we live in Iowa im more of the 2 lane kind of person an i like slow spent 20 years in AZ drivin tow truck between Phx an Tucson when i left traffic on the interstate was runnin 90 plus i had my fill of haulin ass my question is what are the good places to see an what camping options are there between point A an B will probably have 7 to 10 days to do this ride an am just looking for suggestions. have looked at the map an thought ah ah witch way do you go. since ive covered western US by myself there are not manny places left to see for me. an so the journey begins lol thanks for your incite

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: so the wife wants to road tripe to Maine

Postby redial » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Although it is not recommended for 7-10 days, you need more than that, you could spend your time in Oz! Lots of two lane roads, or to put it another way, not many multi-lane roads. There are places that I have not seen in Oz, but not many. You can free-camp, or stay at caravan parks with all the facilities ranging from a place in the grass with a toilet block in the distance, upto flash manicured lawns with swimming pools and beach walks.

The weather can be warm, but never too cold (for Northerners). The people mainly speak English, and you can relax and see places that you have never seen. Memories are always better than dreams!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 pm

The first recommendation I would make is to insure you are planning enough time. There is a lot to see between the two states and I would suggest a circle route that will take you to see stuff when headed east and that you have a second route to go home to see more.

Maine offers a lot to see. It has the northern beginning/end of Rt 1 in Fort Kent (southern end is n Key West) and right next to that is Madawaska where there is a park honoring the folks who did the Four Corners Tour. Down on the coast you absolutely want to go to Acadia National Park--camping reservations are probably a good idea. There is a town on the coast along Rt 1, I think the name is Fort Knox and there is this new bridge which has an observation site high above the roadway with great views. Eat some lobster!

Because of its border with Canada, it is very convenient to cross the border and look around. If you have any plans to do that(actually it is a nice ride from Sault ST Marie, MI to Madawaska) I urge you to get your passports if you might do this. Gas is more expensive in Canada but everything else is close in price. I am not sure what the exchange rates are or what they will be in the future.

Whether coming or going, I would go see Niagara Falls. And you really want to see it from the Canadian side,

Also if you are a history buff, you might want to slip down to Boston, MA and hike the Freedom Trail. Side trips to Lexington and Concord are worth the time. There is an interesting colonial type restored village west of Boston called Sturbridge Village.

Of course then you have all of the sites in New Hampshire(Kancumancus Highway) Vermont, New York stay to the north, and of course there is Pennsylvania with Independence Hall, Valley Forge, and Gettysburg. I don't know if they still do tours of the Harley Plant in York. Rt 6 across northern PA is a good ride according to many. The Delaware Gap in eastern PA is beautiful and the roads around the area are fun to ride.

I would suggest you find some good maps and info on what is available to see and then you and your wife can plan a trip around what you want to see or visit. I like to use Microsoft Street for planning my travels but it is not being updated. If you belong to AAA they have great maps and tour books full of stuff to see and places to stay or camp.

I also like to have time planned into my trip so if I find something interesting, I can stop and visit it.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Sounds like a great trip. I used to drive truck from central Wi. to New Brunswick. From where you live, That's 2,600 - 3,000 miles round trip. Doable in 7 days, but you have to stay with the program. Maine is a beautiful state, as well as upstate New York. Sorry I can't tell you all the neat places to go. Not too many scenic overlooks you can see while dragging a 53' trailer. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride.
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:58 pm

i live in maine you probably want to visit the coast and have a lobster roll and eat at one of our great diners,boothbay harbour would be nice and you will have to visit acadia national park

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:17 am

From Iowa, I would be temped to head up into Wisconsin and into Northern Michigan and then over into Ontario and into Maine that way and then back thru upstate NY. Lotsa beautiful country and things to see in Ontario...........
Bill

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 am

meessage me ill give you good area in n.h and maine to go ive been riding these for years now im starting to tour qubec area we have a camp up by sherbrooke

walex
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby walex » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:55 pm

We are planning a trip Maine first week of September. Leaving from Missouri and going to dragon tail (Deals Gap) then up to Maine. Plan on taking the Appalachian mtn way. We are looking forward to this big trip. We will do this over 12 days. Any advice?

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”