Traffic Tickets in Texas


Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
BSMCHighway
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:20 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby BSMCHighway » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:49 pm



I was given a traffic citation in Texas, after a accident whereas I went down in some oil on a overpass in the rain. The citation was for unsafe speed, and the Officer stated that anyone was has a accident in bad weather, receives this type of ticket. He further stated I should have been riding slower, even though I was riding with the flow of traffic. Another vehicle and semi truck slid in the same oil and wrecked. The kicker was when I contacted the court in Big Springs, Texas, I was given the option of paying $175 fine for a plea of guilty, or $275 deferment fee to have the ticket dropped, provided I didn't get a ticket for a period of 60 days. This has got to be the largest scam I have encountered.



User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:16 pm

I'd definitely consider that adding insult to injury.

Just a word of caution for anyone who may be riding or driving through Waverly, Virginia.. on Rt. 460 between Petersburg and Wakefield... go the speed limit or slower. At any given time there are as many as 4 (yes, FOUR) town, county and or state Police monitoring traffic on a stretch of road less than a mile long, with speed changes from 55 to 45 to 35 and then back up again on the other end of town... they write dozens of tickets every day and today was no exception... I'm sure, because I just rode through there and there were two people pulled over while I rode through town...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

User avatar
redbug
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am
Location: Broken Arrow,Ok
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby redbug » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Yep, everything is bigger in Texas.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

User avatar
Fiberthree
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Behind the windshield
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:56 pm

BSMCHighway wrote:I was given a traffic citation in Texas, after a accident whereas I went down in some oil on a overpass in the rain. The citation was for unsafe speed, and the Officer stated that anyone was has a accident in bad weather, receives this type of ticket. He further stated I should have been riding slower, even though I was riding with the flow of traffic. Another vehicle and semi truck slid in the same oil and wrecked...


Did the officer that issued the citation have proof (radar documentation) that you were exceeding a safe speed or was he just ambiguous in assuming because you were the victim of unusual road conditions that you must have been going too fast? Sounds like a traffic lawyer would have a field day with this type of nefarious "fund raising" system of handing out tickets to motorists traveling through their town on unsafe roads.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

BSMCHighway
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:20 am
Location: Sacramento, California
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby BSMCHighway » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:12 pm

His declaration was based on having a accident in increment weather. As far as contesting the citation, I was given the option of pleading not guilty and returning to Big Springs, Texas from California for court (if found guilty the fine was $175.00) or pay $275.00 for a deferment program whereas after not receiving any further citations with a 60 day time frame, the original citation would be dismissed. Either way both options would be less expensive than traveling back to Big Springs, Texas. Good racket for revenue, I would say, even considering the cost of an attorney.Can't win that situation just because of ethics.

User avatar
roadwanderer2
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 am
Location: sweetwater, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi
Contact:

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 pm

BSMCHighway wrote:His declaration was based on having a accident in increment weather. As far as contesting the citation, I was given the option of pleading not guilty and returning to Big Springs, Texas from California for court (if found guilty the fine was $175.00) or pay $275.00 for a deferment program whereas after not receiving any further citations with a 60 day time frame, the original citation would be dismissed. Either way both options would be less expensive than traveling back to Big Springs, Texas. Good racket for revenue, I would say, even considering the cost of an attorney.Can't win that situation just because of ethics.


did the officer at least have the decency to ask you if you were hurt?, and if you were, did he try to render medical assistance or call the paramedics? because in some states,(like here in Tennessee), you can get a citation for "failing to rendering aid" to a hurt motorist.

stuart.

harvey01
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby harvey01 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 am

BSMCHighway,

I certainly understand your feelings! It does sound like a scam! However the issuance of a ticket for a single vehicle crash in bad weather is a very common thing across the USA, not all states but many.

And I think you are missing the point that Texas is telling you, if you pay the $275 you basically buy your way out of the ticket and hopefully it is not on your record. Or you can return to Texas and appear before a judge and have the case presented in court. The most you will be fined is $175 according to your statement. That is certainly the cheaper deal and maybe you can convince the judge that there was in fact an oil spot of the road that did cause at least two crashes so the fault was the road and not you. And he might dismiss the case. In all honesty I doubt that happens.

We all need to be cognizant that when we travel in different states or countries we have to obey their rules which may be different from our home state. And one of the unfortunate results of travel to different states is if you do receive a performance citation, if you want to talk with the judge you will have to return to that state at your expense. Or you can buy your way out for $275 and be thankful that Texas offers you this way out of the problem. Especially if this keeps the ticket off your record. here in VA you probably would have received a Reckless Driving ticket and you have to appear in court--there is no way to avoid this. (yes for lesser infractions you can just pay them off but not a Reckless Driving ticket) If found guilty in court you may be able to convince the judge to let you go to "driving school" which is 12 hours of classroom information and costs at least $125. Plus your Saturday and a Monday evening. The Texas buy out program sounds easier to me.

And just to echo Hawkeye, there is frequently radar on Rt 460 in Waverly. Another trap is on I-295 just north or the Temple Ave Exit. This is heavily patrolled for about a mile and they get a lot of violators many in excess of 80MPH so if in that area slow down.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
auctioneeral
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 pm
Location: shamong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby auctioneeral » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 am

HawkeyeGL1200 I drove big rigs and know all about 460 route. A matter of fact the whole state of va. is bad as far as look at it. I could wait to get thru the state of VA. every time.

HAwkeye I used to deliver cars to a fellow in ashland who brought the cars on ebay in long island,ny and i would pick up and deliver down there. He was a sheriff. Because i would have to drive into this little town and meet the guy at the jail. First time i did it i was scare.

User avatar
roadwanderer2
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 am
Location: sweetwater, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi
Contact:

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:52 am

auctioneeral wrote:HawkeyeGL1200 I drove big rigs and know all about 460 route. A matter of fact the whole state of va. is bad as far as look at it. I could wait to get thru the state of VA. every time.

HAwkeye I used to deliver cars to a fellow in ashland who brought the cars on ebay in long island,ny and i would pick up and deliver down there. He was a sheriff. Because i would have to drive into this little town and meet the guy at the jail. First time i did it i was scare.


sorta kinda makes ya think if that was a set up lol.

stuart.

User avatar
auctioneeral
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 pm
Location: shamong, New Jersey
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby auctioneeral » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 am

The very first time i did it. It was just talking on phone with the buyer and setting up pick up time and delivey time. He told me he would meet me at a old run down gas station right off the main hwy. Well i sat there like 15 minutes at this old garage 2-3am in the morning waiting. And next thing i knew was flashing lights coming down road and pulled right in to parking lot. It was like what did i do. This sheiff got out told me to follow him to this farm and he would show me were to drop car. When to farm drove into this field loaded with junk cars. He told me he had to go and gave me directions were to meet him to get paid. Well it ended up being a county jail. I rang door ask for him he paid me and i left. Week later doing same thing but i just went to farm drop off and when to jail for payment. I hauled about 25 cars for him. We sat there one night talking about all the cars and he said they have programs in the schools and jails for the people to work on cars.

User avatar
roadwanderer2
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 am
Location: sweetwater, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi
Contact:

Re: Traffic Tickets in Texas

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 am

auctioneeral wrote:The very first time i did it. It was just talking on phone with the buyer and setting up pick up time and delivey time. He told me he would meet me at a old run down gas station right off the main hwy. Well i sat there like 15 minutes at this old garage 2-3am in the morning waiting. And next thing i knew was flashing lights coming down road and pulled right in to parking lot. It was like what did i do. This sheiff got out told me to follow him to this farm and he would show me were to drop car. When to farm drove into this field loaded with junk cars. He told me he had to go and gave me directions were to meet him to get paid. Well it ended up being a county jail. I rang door ask for him he paid me and i left. Week later doing same thing but i just went to farm drop off and when to jail for payment. I hauled about 25 cars for him. We sat there one night talking about all the cars and he said they have programs in the schools and jails for the people to work on cars.


that must have been a scary situation the first time you did that. its nice to that some towns/counties have such programs for the schools and the jails, it give the students and inmates something to do and learn for their lives in the real world if they wish to pursue an auto tech career.

and with this being said, im taking a break. I need to make something to eat for breakfast. i'll be back in a little while.

stuart.




Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chickenlegs, MSNbot Media [Bot] and 1 guest