The Delights and Despairs of the Female Rider

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Mrs. WingAdmin
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

The Delights and Despairs of the Female Rider

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Last year at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show, I left in despair. Literally, I almost cried. I wanted so much to go find a bike that would fit me. I'm little - 5'2" (ok, 5'2 3/4") and pretty tiny, but curvy. Last year there were so many bikes I could just barely tiptoe, totally useless for me. I remember there was just one that I felt comfortable on: the tiny Suzuki S50. This year, I found 4-5 bikes that not only I could sit on with my feet flat on the ground, but that they were not so heavy that I couldn't hold them up. Last year's show I would spot some cruiser with a low seat, and I'd get excited: "look, a bike that's short, a bike that's short!" I'd then get on it and say, "oh gawd, I can't even lift it off the side stand!" It seemed like every manufacturer was racing to make bigger and heavier bikes, ignoring the growing women's market. So I'm absolutely delighted that this year not only were there a bunch that fit me and that I could lift and ride, but there was one that I loved - now all I need is $7000 to buy it!

I need new gear. My boots are worn out. My mesh jacket is worn out, my non-mesh jacket is worn out with broken snaps, my pants are totally worn out with broken zippers. My gloves are worn out. Literally the only thing I have is a helmet. I've been looking for new gear for ages - literally a couple of years now. I've ordered so much gear and sent it all back, because nothing fits. If I can get it around my hips, the waist is so huge I could ride while pregnant. If the legs are the right length, the knee pads are around my shins. If my jacket fits my body, the armor is so loose it flops around so uselessly that there is next to no chance it would cover my shoulders or elbows in a crash. If I get a jacket where the armor fits correctly, it's so tight that I can't breathe. And you can forget about finding a jacket that has multiple liners that pull out - with the liners in, it's breathtakingly tight. If you pull out the liners leaving only the shell, it's so loose you can pull it off me without undoing the zipper!

So as usual, I hunted around for some women's gear at the show. I found that there was less, far less available than in previous years. I talked to the owner of a British gear booth, and he said that they don't even sell women's gear anymore, and pointed me towards the men's extra small, in hopes it might fit. He said that many motorcycle gear manufacturers, them included, have abandoned making women's gear because it's next to impossible to fit women - and as a result, they were having between an 80% to 95% return rate. He said women's bodies were too varied and hard to fit, and women were too picky when it came to their gear. He said women would try on gear while they were standing up, thinking that they should fit like they were regular clothes - but in fact it should fit for when they are seated on the bike. This is why the arms and jacket back would be made longer, and the knee armor would be low. However, when women would try the gear on, they'd instantly declare it too big or ill-fitting, and send it back.

His parting words were, "I'm sorry, I don't envy you. It's just a waste of money trying to make gear for women, it's a horrible business choice."

So what do I do? I have a small curvy body. I need gear!

It almost seems like men's gear is designed without comfort even taken into account - but then you look at your body, and it's pretty much straight up and down, so it's easy to get something that's going to fit fairly well. So if you have hips, and a tiny waist, like me, and you try to move, it's pulling in ways that is uncomfortable, it's hard to be comfortable. All women know how hard it is to find clothing that fits AND is comfortable. So motorcycle gear on top of that is just a nightmare. Because you've got to be comfortable if you're riding for hours.

And it has to fit, or else the pads won't stay in place, they won't stay where they're supposed to be. You can't have loose-fitting stuff. If I wore a men's extra small, even if the sleeves were short enough, it's going to be too wide and moving too much. Even my mesh jacket today, I'm constantly having to pull the pads back to where they're supposed to be. And it's nearly impossible to find a jacket that has multiple layers - if it fits with the inner layer, by the time you take those liners out, the armor flops all over the place. So I always need multiple jackets, I can't have a jacket that adjusts to the weather by adding or subtracting layers. Which means I need to have enough storage on my bike to carry along an extra jacket.

So I am looking forward to getting on my new CTX700...but the search (so far in vain, for two years now) for new gear goes on.

Me on the CTX700
Me on the CTX700

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: The Delights and Despairs of the Female Rider

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:26 am

1/ I was expecting
Mrs. WingAdmin wrote: My boots are worn out. My mesh jacket is worn out, my non-mesh jacket is worn out with broken snaps, my pants are totally worn out with broken zippers. My gloves are worn out. Mr Wing Admin is worn out

2/ I would not call any of my ballistic Kevlar gear comfortable, no matter how baggy, the Kevlar pads press on my knees, the waist is somewhere between my waistline and my armpits held up by braces. I used to go straight up and down, but I must have grown hips around my waist. Wearing only a T shirt and the lining removed, my jacket feels like I am wearing a tent.

3/ My only concern used to be 'will I be able to zip the jacket and trousers up if I put on a stone in the next few years', I never really considered comfort. At almost 60, and 16 stone I do not ask myself that any more.

4/ I almost got my daughters (who look same age and build as you) to ride pillion to light parades for the weekend, until I took them to try on some gear
My hair
My nails
Look fat
Too loose
Too tight
Not wearing that.
Boots!!! they will make me walk like you dad.

I thought it was just my daughters

5/ Thank god Mrs Big Blue has not been on the back of my bike since 1982, looks like I have escaped soooo much.

6/Damn you look cute.
Mrs. WingAdmin wrote:Image

oh, and the CTX suits you :)
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Wow, giving up the PC800 for the CTX? I would think mostly the same bike (both Vtwins, PC has more storage, etc., etc., and a lil more muscle I would think), but that is the practical in me, I like the color though, that red is nice!

On the clothing, men's clothing somewhat the same way but not as far off as women. My wife had a hard time when she was driving, she started on a vtc500, up to 700, then a GL1100 lowered. I loved riding with her as a fellow rider more than her being a passenger (she was a good passenger, but I seem to get way more careful on riding with 2-up than being alone). She never went the route of a riding suit, she is 5.3 and "bigger boned". She says the kids did it, lol. She went the leather route, chaps and jacket just because it was easier finding something that fit for her, so not as much of an issue.

The cycle companies are just coming around more on smaller more nimble bikes with more power than they had. Even HD has their smaller vtwins riding this year, they are a marketing powerhouse and realize they have a real untapped market. Unfortunately give it time, there will be more choice out there, but nothing is ever going to fit perfect.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Mag wrote:Wow, giving up the PC800 for the CTX? I would think mostly the same bike (both Vtwins, PC has more storage, etc., etc., and a lil more muscle I would think), but that is the practical in me, I like the color though, that red is nice!

She loves the PC800...but even with the lowered shocks and seat (and it's been lowered a good inch and a half), she's still on her toes - and the PC800 is a V-twin with the cylinders sitting bolt upright, so a fair bit of the weight is up top. That makes it really tough to hold upright if she comes to a stop on any kind of camber. The CTX has the NC700 engine, where the cylinders are leaned way forward, putting most of the weight down low, for a very low C/G. That makes a tremendous difference, and with the fact that she can flat-foot it, it makes a world of difference.

Oh, and she came bounding downstairs with a big grin on her face, saying "Big Blue thinks I'm cute!!" :)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:15 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Mag wrote:Oh, and she came bounding downstairs with a big grin on her face, saying "Big Blue thinks I'm cute!!" :)

Oh, you can let her know that we ALL think she is cute... and way too good for you Scott. Good thing she loves you.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:09 pm

themainviking wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
Mag wrote:Oh, and she came bounding downstairs with a big grin on her face, saying "Big Blue thinks I'm cute!!" :)

Oh, you can let her know that we ALL think she is cute... and way too good for you Scott. Good thing she loves you.

No kidding. You should hear her giggling like a school girl because you said that you all think she's cute. :)

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:58 pm

Well you are cute.

Anyway on to the meat of the matter.

Try Klim gear. They make it for women. It only comes with a Gortex outer shell, as they expect you to use whatever you like underneath to keep you warm, but being Gortex and well designed it's fully waterproof, and with lots of airflow in summer.

My wife just got some, and she thinks it's great.

But the thing she can't find are gloves with fingers that are short enough so they don't catch on the controls all the time. Have you found anything?

Charlie

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:18 pm

So now I guess Scott will need to start learning how to work on another bike ha ha. The poor guy just cant win so i guess we will be seeing a new spot on GoldwingDocs for your new bike. Hope you get it as you do look good on it I would say (hot) but I dont want to tick Scott off and wind up getting booted out. Just kidding Scott you know all of us here love your hard work and dedication to keeping the site up and running. ---------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Mrs. WingAdmin
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:49 pm

:D hee hee hee... (blush)... La La La... :lol:

Mrs. WingAdmin
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:51 pm

:D you know, flattery we get you everywhere with me! :lol:

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Yes, cute....and on a bike, NICE! Makes sense on the 700, and being able to be flat foot is a big thing. My wife had a hard time at first because of the positioning on the wing.

So....now we will see customizing and repair/maintenance on vtwins.....COOLS! And plastics need to be removed so Admin does not feel like he has to let go fully of Wing plastic removal....very good.

She still giggling??? lol.

Eboness
Motorcycle: 2013 GL1800 Airbag Red of course.

Postby Eboness » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 am

Well if truth be known, I believe there is nothing sexier than a woman motorcyclist, and my wife agrees. Mrs Wingadmin, we are luckily here on the left coast because on Vancouver Island in a small town called Mill Bay is a little company called Westcoast Roar. It's run by two very good lady friends of ours who have search the world over for manufacturer's who make motorcycle clothing designed for women. Now most of it is from Europe but they have found some made here in North America. Check them out at http://www.westcoastroar.com Also remember you will get close to 25% off just because of the U.S. to Canadian money exchange right now. Surprisingly enough one of their main suppliers is Olympia. :)

Take care and ride safe.
Former 3PPCLI Canadian Armed Forces Member 1975-1982

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 am

im trying to get my wife to want a bike of her own. she's ridden bikes before, but that was when she was a little girl on a dirt bike. she's afraid of riding one of these big wings. I told her I would get her a smaller bike, Honda cm 400, vt500, Honda shadow or something along those lines. something small enough for her to handle yet have enough power for highway riding. I personally think she could handle it and it would be cool if she had her own bike so we could both ride somewhere together on our own bikes. now im not saying I don't enjoy her on the back of mine, but it would be nicer to see her on her own bike.

stuart.

memphismike
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS

Postby memphismike » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:12 am

This is so my Wife. Trying to find gear for her as a co-rider on the Wing has been impossible. I have told her I think she is going to have to go the Leather Chaps Route. She did Find 1 Joe Rocket Jacket that fit, but it failed in the claimed "Waterproof" arena.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 am

memphismike wrote:This is so my Wife. Trying to find gear for her as a co-rider on the Wing has been impossible. I have told her I think she is going to have to go the Leather Chaps Route. She did Find 1 Joe Rocket Jacket that fit, but it failed in the claimed "Waterproof" arena.

yeah, sometimes its kinda hard finding woman's riding apparel that lives up to its claims of being waterproof. even I have trouble finding things for myself that is windproof and waterproof. its a never ending search for the right riding equipment.

stuart.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 am

A terrible mistake has been made...... :shock: I couldn't help but to notice it right away....You shall be called out on it at this time..... In the post you placed a photo of yourself sitting on the bike and it states below it..... Me on the CTX700 ..... If you want something like that you need to think differently so the old man gets it,,, Should read... Me on MY CTX700 :lol: gorgeous bike I see why you like it, love the color...And you can swing your leg over it.. Cool post.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 am

yes, that bike suites her very nicely. looks like she was molded right on it. fits her very well. hey wingadmin, looks like you might be adding another bike to your stable. lol.

stuart.

mastrjo
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby mastrjo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 am

I see you are petite, and I can sympathize with the issues with fit as I am a tall women I have the opposite issues. For me, nothing in women's gear is long enough. The arms are short, the jacket rarely comes to my waist, and the legs are too short. I have a similar issue with regular clothes, because I am curvy, the hips & thighs are tight, and the waist is huge. I have tried men's wear, and agree that they just don't fit right. I did have a really nice women's gold wing jacket, made by Joe Rocket, but cannot seem to locate a new one. Don't manufacturers realize we would buy more if it fit? Give us options, and give us the 'accurate' measurements for the hip in a sm-med-lg, and maybe we would be able to buy the right size! as well as the length for short-reg-long. We do know that the clothes fit different on the bike - duh! We Ride! Most of us wouldn't mind if we had to wait a little longer for our order, if the items fit! Just so frustrating.
I have to laugh at the heels on a majority of the women's "riding boots"!!! Sorry, I like heels but we do not all of us sit on the back, and since I have a heel-toe shifter they would not work at all! I wonder if it would be worth getting into making women's riding gear, and if it would be a viable business? I guess the problem is we are still in the minority and manufacturers are looking at making large profits.
Another note on women riders, a friend said that women riding their own bikes can intimidate men. I say then be afraid! I watched shock & terror stream across a man's face. He asked (sarcastically) what I would do if my bike fell over, and I replied that "I" would pick it up, and yes, I could pick up a my wing :lol:!!! Many don't realize you don't have to be the hulk, or superman to pick up a bike.....you just have to know how.
As they say, ride safe & keep the shiny side up!

Mrs. WingAdmin
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Maybe what manufacturers need is to put elastic-type panels between the armor (or under it) so it can shape more to a woman's curves? I wonder if there is an elastic that is strong enough to hold-up in an accident? But look at Skinny Jeans---every woman wears them these days, no matter what their body-type is. How is this possible? They are super stretchy so they hug every curve and conform to our legs whatever their shape.

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:25 pm

WOW, that's really you??? I thought you were one of those models that walk around looking cute at all motor shows. WingAdmin is one lucky guy. Good luck on your quest, finding equipment to fit you.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:39 pm

Mrs. WingAdmin wrote:Maybe what manufacturers need is to put elastic-type panels between the armor (or under it) so it can shape more to a woman's curves? I wonder if there is an elastic that is strong enough to hold-up in an accident? But look at Skinny Jeans---every woman wears them these days, no matter what their body-type is. How is this possible? They are super stretchy so they hug every curve and conform to our legs whatever their shape.

What about Velcro backing that would let you place the armor where it needs to be for a comfortable fit?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

mastrjo
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby mastrjo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:50 pm

That gives me an idea. If buy something that is a little large, I could look at modifying the placement with HD velcro! Thanks for the idea!

MasterDaniel904
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Goldwing

Postby MasterDaniel904 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:39 am

I tried to teach my girlfriend to drive my '96 wing with no luck. Then a couple of smaller bikes that were down for maintenance more often than not. After two years as a passenger, we were picking up parts for my fork rebuild when she caught sight of one of the new Can-Am Spyders. However, a used 2010 was closer to our price range. 1000cc's, does 75mph (standard highway speed here in NM) easily.

I am now making payments

Okay, it's not a "true" motorcycle, but it is stable, low, and with electronic shift, was easy to learn. She did a 250 mile trip the first weekend we owned it!

At the dealer
All seasons. No exceptions.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:41 am

MasterDaniel904 wrote:I tried to teach my girlfriend to drive my '96 wing with no luck. Then a couple of smaller bikes that were down for maintenance more often than not. After two years as a passenger, we were picking up parts for my fork rebuild when she caught sight of one of the new Can-Am Spyders. However, a used 2010 was closer to our price range. 1000cc's, does 75mph (standard highway speed here in NM) easily.

I am now making payments

Okay, it's not a "true" motorcycle, but it is stable, low, and with electronic shift, was easy to learn. She did a 250 mile trip the first weekend we owned it!

IMG_20150207_160815758_HDRc.jpg
At the dealer

that's fantastic. good for her. hope she has many a happy rides on it.

stuart.

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:21 pm

MR WING IS ONE LUCKY GUY ,,VA VA VOOM

Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”