Prince Edward Island Vacation

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
onelostsock
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Prince Edward Island Vacation

Postby onelostsock » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 pm

My wife and I have rented a beach house for the first week of Sept.15' on the western side of PEI for our yearly bike ride/vacation. We will do day trips from that home base and was wondering if there are any "must do's" while staying on PEI. We do plan to get the Woods Isl. ferry to Nova Scotia to go zip-lining for the day since we were not able to do it on our N.S. vacation in '14.(It was just too many miles from where we were staying for a leisurely day trip).But neither of us have ever been to PEI and wanted to get some ideas on things to do that maybe are not necessarily in the guide books.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and websites too if that would be of help.(We will be going from here in Brooksville, Me. to PEI in one day and then one day back so we won't have any time to spend in N.B. Maybe next time!) Thanks in advance for any ideas!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Prince Edward Island Vacation

Postby themainviking » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:34 am

If by west end, you mean Tignish (North West), then you will have a good ride each day to get to anyplace. You can still get to anyplace on the Island and back each day. If you ride the North highway (6) round to Charlottetown, and the 2 or even the 1A back to the west end, you will pretty much have access to over half the Island. Do not forget the Anne of Green Gables tourist traps near Cavendish. Now, if you were a golfer, there are some of the nicest golf courses in the world in PEI, one of the nicest being in New Glasgow. At the very least, you will be able to eat all the fresh fish and mussels you can stand, but being from Maine, you are probably fairly used to this already. All of PEI is beautiful, even the areas that are mostly sand, as they are backed by ocean vistas. Try getting lost on the back roads and then finding your way back to known highways. That will let you see some of PEI that nobody else normally sees. One branch of my family is in New Glasgow, and I try to get over there to visit the island every couple of years. I love it in any season but winter. Situated as it is, the Island is somewhat protected from any serious storms by being in the lee of the mainland, almost like being in a Port in a Storm. Summer weather is really excellent most years. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”