Intro and advice

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Intro and advice

Postby Rob H » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello everyone

We are new to the forum and are planning a trip to the U.S. at the end of May for a month. We have bought a Wing in Austin and plan to travel for the month of June. Our question is once we have travelled North and out of Texas do we turn left and head West or right and go East? Our initial plan was to head up towards New York and then head down the coast to Florida and the Keyes and then make our way along to coast back to Austin and then ship the bike back to Europe for a trip later in the year.
We would appreciate some advice..............

Thanks
Rob & Lucy

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Intro and advice

Postby CMReynolds1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:37 pm

WOW, it is your choice! I live on the West Coast and I love it. Grew up on the East Coast and did not like East Coast attitude. I know I will hear a lot from folks on that side, but the few tend to represent the many. I am a member of the Pioneer Family of Cleveland, Ohio. So I don't say this lightly! But the West coast, actually the N.W. part of the U. S. is awesome. Great scenery and great people. From San Francisco north to Canada and then into B.C. is just too beautiful for words. Think about that route!
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Postby Mspinner » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 pm

I live in wisconsin...very nice roads. Upper dells area, upper Michigan . Very pretty. Great food. Fish fry!! Good ppl. Google " summer fest" I believe it's around that time. Can't beat it!

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Frankly, that's an unanswerable question as stated. The country is pretty big, and pretty much all of it is wonderful to somebody. I think before anybody could really answer you, you will need to tell us what you would be interested in seeing/doing. Do you like forests? deserts? mountains? flat lands? big canyons? We have it all, and more. A month wouldn't be anywhere near enough to see it all. Give us some guidance on what you think you would like to see and do and we can give you all kinds of advice.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Welcome. For the time that you have allowed, I would suggest this route. Going from Austin TX, I would go north to Ohio, then go east and check out Niagara, from the Canadian side. Then head down to Boston MA, then onto New York City. After leaving NYC, travel south to Washington DC. Then through some of the prettiest areas of Virginia, Tennessee, and onto Austin. There are lots of things to see, and a rest day is always good if you find a good spot. I would recommend staying off the Interstate Highways, unless you have to (the evens run east-west, and the odds run north-south). For the first timer, make sure you have a GPS with uptodate maps!

For casual accommodation, join a group (like Holiday Inn or Marriot), and you can book ahead or take pot luck. They usually upgrade members.
Have a happy day, and enjoy yourself.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I know it was a bit of a loaded question that could have a million answers. Just wanted to see what was out there. The country is massive and as such must be very diverse, I can imagine!

I think I would need a good couple of months to do it all.

I have also been looking at the weather and it appears the the guys on the NE side are being punished with some heavy snow which reading some sites seems to not want to go away. It better clear before June, otherwise I am going to go West! :D

Regards Rob.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 pm

The entire USA is a sight to see,
But I-95 in New York you don't want to be.
Folks on the east coast might not be great,
But over on the west coast, there is a earthquake!
In the north east, your toes might freeze,
And then in the south, be 98 degrees!
Out in the plains, there's no trees or stores,
But you might find a hawk, or a eagle that soars.
And when you come, be expecting to see, other goldwing riders, in the land of the free!
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Welcome to the site.... Enjoy your journey which ever direction you choose.... Gorgeous both ways.. :D

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:14 am

Love the poem........Thank you!
Did not realise the Goldwing riders were so talented!

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 am

Take a look at all the "rides" listed. If you want some twisties and mountains, beautiful scenery and good places to eat, this area is a must:
http://tailofthedragon.com/
http://www.dealsgap.com/index.html
http://smokymountainrider.com/

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:12 pm

It is really hard to answer your question--do I go west or east? It depends on what you want to see.

Now I am just a poor boy from Virginia who has been able to ride motorcycles since 1966 and have toured a great deal of this country. I don't understand the above comments about East Coast versus West Coast but I certainly agree that I-95 in New York and Connecticut is best avoided.

First, if all you want to do is ride great roads, they exist in every state and area. Some offer greater beauty and some offer greater technical challenges for the rider. Of course the Southwest is flatter with a lot less trees and greenery than other areas and especially the east. And it boasts the loneliest road in the USA. You mentioned the snow and cold, that should be gone by June pretty much everywhere.

Second, what else do you want to see? Are you looking to see unique scenery, would you prefer mountains to ocean or do you want flat and level? Do you want to see locations that are special because of the history that happened there? While the east coast is famous for the first settlements by the English in Virginia and Massachusetts, California did have Spanish missions built there. Are you interested in the Revolutionary War or Civil War history?

Based on experience if I could just ride in any state which would I choose. West VA would be my first choice, fantastic twisty roads, great scenery, and a lot of fun places to visit. Second would be Colorado with its mountain roads and great scenery. Both are great areas for riding. But there are so many other areas.

One simple solution would be to ride the National Parks like the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, the Great Smokie Mountains, Acadia national Park in Maine, "Going to the Sun Highway" in Glacier National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park and then there is the beauty of Utah with Zion and Bryce National Parks.

So trying to suggest which way to go is really tough and there are a lot of Pros and Cons each way, it just comes down to what do you guys want to see and the choosing the priority. If I can help you with planning please let me know.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Well, I'm all out of poems. The only reason I made reference to east and west coasts is that they had been mentioned further above, and I was just having a little fun...needed some words that rhymed....there's nice people everywhere I suppose....
For someone to come to the USA to see the sights,, and only have one month or so, you'll only see a fraction .....
America has some breath taking sights, and It's sad to say, that I believe it may serve you well to research the areas and towns to avoid. I feel awful to mention such a thing, but safety in itself is beautiful.
There may be some areas in some cities, that may not be so beautiful.
I think you may find the north east, and most mountain ranges most attractive in numerous ways.
You asked for input, and though in may seem shallow to some, I put me in your shoes.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:20 am

Out with the map ! Going to stick pins in all the suggestions and see what we come out with. Think I better ask the Boss if I can extend by another month! Or 2.????????................3 maybe?

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:32 am

67 days to go! So looking forward to it!

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:25 pm

I certainly envy your upcoming trip, I'd love to have the opportunity and time to travel another country again, especially on a bike. Something you might consider beyond what you wish to see and the previous suggestions might be the weather. I ride in pretty much year round and have lived in the south east, south west and now the north west. Come June you may you may wish to have several optional routes as the southern areas are going to be getting hot to very hot and anywhere from bone dry to humid as steam room. the mid-west can start a cycle of storms in tornado alley that would certainly limit your traveling and fun. I'd certainly avoid the big city thing and interstates if you want to see the US and not speed through it, and big city riding will be more stressful and probably mean sitting in traffic more than anyone should have to. I've been cross country a dozen times across the south on I-10, I-20 and I-40 and I found I-40 more fun if you aren't trying to make time and get somewhere. I do love the northwest Idaho, Oregon, Washington and I think the same could be said for Montana and the Dakotas yes there are occasional rain showers and fog along the coast, but there is a nice combination of open areas, mountains and coastal rides without the traffic problems I've run into on the east coast. The Midwest was greener and less wide open areas and I enjoyed but I found myself endlessly changing in and out of rain gear (I could see far enough to ride around the rain). With limited weather gear you'll want to avoid the extreme temps and if you can avoid constantly sheltering from rain storms you'll have more fun.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for all the info and replies? So much to see and do!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:44 pm

I am not going to participate in this discussion solely because I do not want any of the 50 states of US to send me "hate-mail".....it is all depending on what you want to see and when really traveling....
- Going in our Spring/Summer, I would really go west, and be in the Ariz/Cali/New Mexico areas....nice weather to ride in.
- Upper NW states (Oregon, WA, Idaho, Montana, etc) is going to get you some of the most mountains, hills, trees, water, green scenery with blue skies that you will ever see.
- NE states - Welcome to the States history, a lot of neat places to see, since that is where the states were developed and moved west.
- MidWest - Kansas, Missouri, Tenessee, etc., etc. flat riding, neat history, nice people to be with
- SouthEast area - Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, etc., etc., lots of history, flat lands, lots of good foods and the places to see.

Guess what I am seeing, the US is so different in all areas, the one thing constant, especially when on a bike, lots of friendlies out there.....I think it will take a couple of long trips to get the idea of all this country has to offer

(Ok, how did I do?? Did I piss anyone off yet???)

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:48 am

Mag wrote:I am not going to participate in this discussion solely because I do not want any of the 50 states of US to send me "hate-mail".....it is all depending on what you want to see and when really traveling....
- Going in our Spring/Summer, I would really go west, and be in the Ariz/Cali/New Mexico areas....nice weather to ride in.
- Upper NW states (Oregon, WA, Idaho, Montana, etc) is going to get you some of the most mountains, hills, trees, water, green scenery with blue skies that you will ever see.
- NE states - Welcome to the States history, a lot of neat places to see, since that is where the states were developed and moved west.
- MidWest - Kansas, Missouri, Tenessee, etc., etc. flat riding, neat history, nice people to be with
- SouthEast area - Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, etc., etc., lots of history, flat lands, lots of good foods and the places to see.

Guess what I am seeing, the US is so different in all areas, the one thing constant, especially when on a bike, lots of friendlies out there.....I think it will take a couple of long trips to get the idea of all this country has to offer

(Ok, how did I do?? Did I piss anyone off yet???)

Nah I doubt it! Just good advice :P

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:47 am

Welcome to the site. You could do like me and do the whole works..... I am doing a loop around the US, from CA to MO to FL to MD, PA and back across WI, MN, ND, MT and back home. Plan to take about 6 weeks. My route will take me about 8000 miles or more depending on the detours..... Enjoy your trip and your new Goldwing.
Bill

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 pm

bstig60 wrote:Welcome to the site. You could do like me and do the whole works..... I am doing a loop around the US, from CA to MO to FL to MD, PA and back across WI, MN, ND, MT and back home. Plan to take about 6 weeks. My route will take me about 8000 miles or more depending on the detours..... Enjoy your trip and your new Goldwing.

I thought about the whole works but I only have 4 weeks!

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:49 pm

redial wrote:Welcome. For the time that you have allowed, I would suggest this route. Going from Austin TX, I would go north to Ohio, then go east and check out Niagara, from the Canadian side. Then head down to Boston MA, then onto New York City. After leaving NYC, travel south to Washington DC. Then through some of the prettiest areas of Virginia, Tennessee, and onto Austin. There are lots of things to see, and a rest day is always good if you find a good spot. I would recommend staying off the Interstate Highways, unless you have to (the evens run east-west, and the odds run north-south). For the first timer, make sure you have a GPS with uptodate maps!

For casual accommodation, join a group (like Holiday Inn or Marriot), and you can book ahead or take pot luck. They usually upgrade members.
Have a happy day, and enjoy yourself.

I wouldn't go to NYC on a bet. Went by there once, and there are more idiots there that in San Francisco. Those people are nuts to live in those places. Stick to the back roads and small towns and enjoy your trip.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Dallas is huge, be careful traveling through there, avoid rush hour for sure 4-7, the drivers there are fast, some drive 80-90 all the time.... trucks will be all up and down I-35 from Austin to Dallas for sure.. Texas people love to tailgate you.. Personally I would bypass Dallas and travel side Highways...So many drivers there, a back up can take the fun out a ride.. Texas has great highways though. On a second thought, you won't forget it anytime soon, Dallas is huge gotta go thru it... I have been reading alot of potholes in the Northeast region lately due to the winter, that's something to consider...I have never been down the east coast but I have been up the gulf coast... from Florida...Sounds like you are set...and ready man... Enjoy yourself where ever you decide to go...the thrill of your ride is going over the Apps. Mountains in the Carolina's or north of there in the Virgina's....

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:38 am

Hello everyone!

We arrived! Had some delay getting here but are now in Austin. got the bike had a bit of a ride with it!
Tomorrow We are changing cambelts and some fluids and Tuesday morning starting off to New Orleans

Regards
Rob & Lucy.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 am

Good luck on your trip and keep in touch.
Bill

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:06 am

Looks like a nice ride! Keep us posted on your sites and your take on our sites. Its great to hear other's thoughts on things we just take for granted.
Attachments

Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”