Whats on YOUR Bucket List ?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Whats on YOUR Bucket List ?

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Okay, here is a thread I have not seen done, so I will do it ! What is you BUCKET LIST RIDE you are most determined to do ?
I will get it kicked off with my 2 Bucket List rides :

1) To ride to the Capitol of all 48 continental states, plus DC. spending the night in EVERY Capitol, NOT using Interstates at all. I have the route picked out as far as order I will hit the stops, but NOT the roads I will use. I will get out my map and pick my next days route each night, and call it in to my wife at home. That way if I do not check in , she knows where I SHOULD be to start looking for me. No day will exceed about 400 miles, and every 5th day (on average) will be a off day, for bike maintenance and laundry or _______ . I will have my trailer on this trip, and be doing some camping, and some motels.

2) Route 66, from L.A. to Chicago . I will stick to the original road for every possible mile. I will NOT have my trailer on this trip, and will be staying in Mom & Pop motels on this trip.

Well, those are my Bucket List trips, whats yours ?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Whats on YOUR Bucket List ?

Postby themainviking » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:44 pm

About the only thing on my wish list - not a bucket list, because if I don't get it done then I don't get it done - is to ride into Delaware and Maryland. They are the only two states aside from Hawaii that I have not visited by motorcycle. I believe the last time I mentioned this, I said Rhode Island and Delaware, but I found a T-Shirt from Rhode Island, so I had to rethink, and it is Maryland and Delaware. I have stayed at least one day in each state, usually a couple or even three or four, and I have lived in some of them, so they were easy. As far as capitals of the states, probably most. Route 66, I have also ridden, from L.A. to Chicago with detours along the way, but on one dedicated trip.

I guess, if I was to build a bucket list, I would put riding Australia, New Zealand, Europe and Asia, as I have not ridden a motorcycle in Europe or Asia although I have been there. Australia and New Zealand I have yet to visit. None of these places is high enough on my list to pay a lot of money to do it, but if someone were to get a group together to do it, I could likely be talked into it. I can pretty much fill my existing bucket list every day I get to ride. Yeah, I know, eh? Boring.........
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Plenty of great rides in Australia. But you need to plan carefully of where and when you travel because of some extremes of weather - particularly summer months. come on down - we'll' throw another Shrimp on Barbie. :D

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Uncle Fester,

I must be the luckiest person on this forum. I have done most of my "bucket List" of rides and some I never expected. I have done Rocky Mountain National Park, Going to the Sun Highway, Zion, Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, Acadia, the Cabot Trail, Four Corners of the USA, Passo de Stelvio, and many more lesser rides that were wonderful also. I have been blessed with rain, extreme heat and freezing cold on my rides and basically enjoyed every mile.

And I eagerly look forward to the next ride.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:04 am

My bucket list includes my ride to Alaska this summer on a gl1100. Hopefully I get to ride through the two states I have never been to. Washington and Oregon. I have been to Alaska for one and one half hours.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:17 am

My bucket list. Live a long healthy exciting life and die a quick painless death.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:29 am

I would love to ride up to my old neighborhood from here in Tennessee up to New Jersey. that would take me thru west Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, maybe stop over in DC to see some of the monuments and the Vietnam war memorial wall, then up to Pennsylvania, then finally into New Jersey. my wife and I have done this in our motorhome, but I would love to do it on my bike.

stuart.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:31 am

So when are you leaving to start this trip?

I would urge you to not ride your bike in downtown DC. Parking can be a real problem. Stay in motel/campground outside of town near a Metro station and take the Metro to the mall area. If you are into walking then you can go see just about everything from there.(I think GRey Line Tours still has buses In the area that allow you to get a special ticket and ride to the next attraction get off and catch a later bus to the next attraction)

If I were planning your trip I think I would plan to do a western loop up into WV and then western MD and perhaps Gettysburg and then go east across PA to NJ. There is a lot to see and don't forget the attractions around Philly like Valley Forge, Independence Hall among many more. Don't know where you lived in NJ but would suggest that some of the best riding is up around Port Jervis and in that north western area. Then return to DC and then go west from there to Front Royal to the Skyline Drive and take it to the Blue Ridge Parkway and points south. The DDay Memorial in Bedford, VA is worth a side trip. This could be a fun ride.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:45 am

harvey01 wrote:So when are you leaving to start this trip?

I would urge you to not ride your bike in downtown DC. Parking can be a real problem. Stay in motel/campground outside of town near a Metro station and take the Metro to the mall area. If you are into walking then you can go see just about everything from there.(I think GRey Line Tours still has buses In the area that allow you to get a special ticket and ride to the next attraction get off and catch a later bus to the next attraction)

If I were planning your trip I think I would plan to do a western loop up into WV and then western MD and perhaps Gettysburg and then go east across PA to NJ. There is a lot to see and don't forget the attractions around Philly like Valley Forge, Independence Hall among many more. Don't know where you lived in NJ but would suggest that some of the best riding is up around Port Jervis and in that north western area. Then return to DC and then go west from there to Front Royal to the Skyline Drive and take it to the Blue Ridge Parkway and points south. The DDay Memorial in Bedford, VA is worth a side trip. This could be a fun ride.

this trip isn't "set in stone" but I would like to do it beings as I used to live up in Allentown PA and in NJ as well. it would be like going home to see some friends and neighbors I haven't seen in a very long time.

stuart.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:38 pm

These all sound like some great trips. I wish each and every one of you the best of luck on your trips. . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:34 pm

Like some have said, my bucket list is just about closed off. One of my remaining things to achieve, is to be "Shot by a jealous husband at 98!" :D
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

djoyner
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Postby djoyner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 pm

If the good Lord is willing and the crick don't rise, I will knock off a few items on my bucket list this summer:

Glacier, Yosemite, Redwood, Sequoia and Death Valley National Parks.

The Golden Gate Bridge and the Pacific Coast Highway.

Lolo Pass and the Columbia River Gorge.
D J
2006 VTX 1300S
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate

Visit me at:[url http://www.dennisjoyner.net][/url]

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:33 pm

redial wrote:Like some have said, my bucket list is just about closed off. One of my remaining things to achieve, is to be "Shot by a jealous husband at 98!" :D

LOL.

stuart.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”