tying down a wing on the Spirit Of Tasmania & touring Tassie

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
YAR
Motorcycle: 2002 Wing GL1800 A

tying down a wing on the Spirit Of Tasmania & touring Tassie

Postby YAR » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi am considering a trip to Tassie Leaving Melbourne Australia on the Spirit Of Tasmania Ferry.I would appreciate any tips especially on how they tie down Wings on the ship and any Touring tips on places to see in Tassie
Thinking we will use cabins /motels to stay in as scared of the rain in a tent Ha ha (gettin to old and need creature comforts ), .
It would be great to here from anybody who has done this trip
Cheers Ray

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Re: tying down a wing on the Spirit Of Tasmania & touring Tassie

Postby charliektm400exc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:31 pm

They have trouble with Wings.
I've just used their straps, but run them through the frame under the side covers. Then they pull them down from there.

The left hand side is hard to feed through, so I keep telling myself to slip a double ended loop strap through the frame before the ride, so I can just slip their strap straight through that.

The only place where rain is a serious issue is the west coast. Hobart is the second driest capital city in Australia. Adelaide is the only place that has less rain then Hobart. East coast gets even less rain.

Allow much more time to travel and see things then you would normally. You can easily fill up 4 weeks in Tasmania if you stop and look as you travel. Although the distances are very short by mainland standards, there is so much to see, and the roads are so windy that it takes a lot longer. Not sure which part of Australia you are from, but one problem we have here is people who come down who don't do lots of cornering. There are so many spots, but particularly the west coast where there aren't any straights between corners and riders who are going a bit quick, or are not well practised on multiple corners get into trouble. They get around one corner, then the second sends them a bit off line, then the third a bit more and the next one they are off the road.

Send me a PM before you come and we'll try and hook up.

Charlie

YAR
Motorcycle: 2002 Wing GL1800 A

Postby YAR » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi Charlie
Thanks for your input, with the strapping down I had assumed they would use the pillion handle grips on the 1800 at the rear ?? but do they strap the front some how ? or is it just the one strap ? I suppose nobody has taken a picture of a 1800 when strapped . where a bouts did you intend to put your own strap ,in relation to say the battery position,
Have not made definite plans yet so just fishing for info
Thanks Ray

charliektm400exc

Postby charliektm400exc » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 pm

You can't use the pillion handles, they aren't strong enough.

So what I'm talking about is strapping towards the front. You leave the bike in gear, with the side stand down, and they put a velcro strap around the front brake leaver to make sure that is fully on.

I put it around the large square section part of the frame in front of the battery. But that has been when I have had to do it with their straps in a bit of a hurry. Haven't fully worked out where I will put my little strap. I don't think it will matter as long as it's around the frame, and can't slip forward once tension is put on it.

Currently setting up my Mercedes Sprinter so I can carry the bike inside, so will have to work out exactly where to put the straps for that, so I'll try and remember to post.

Have a search for tying a goldwing 1800 down to a trailer and you will see the points I'm talking about.

Charlie

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

The GWRRA Gold Book shows how to strap a GW. Also, check out this site for how to Search for this subject: "strapping a goldwing".

I dont think that the method that you suggest is correct, but it is logical. Dont forget to get some "soft ties" to take the 'rub' factor off the shiny bits.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

charliektm400exc

Postby charliektm400exc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 pm

redial wrote:The GWRRA Gold Book shows how to strap a GW. Also, check out this site for how to Search for this subject: "strapping a goldwing".

I dont think that the method that you suggest is correct, but it is logical. Dont forget to get some "soft ties" to take the 'rub' factor off the shiny bits.

You only get to use two points when tying down on the Spirit Of Tasmania, so it's a matter of adapting what full method.

I'm using the full method to tie mine down inside my Sprinter.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”