My First Ride of 2015

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

My First Ride of 2015

Postby CWJ73 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:12 am

It's March 14, 2015 and normally Calgary is under a blanket of snow, but this year we have been experiencing an exceptionally warm winter. The roads are clean and there is hardly any snow to be found. I have to head out of town for a few errands so I could not pass up this opportunity to go for a ride. Today it is 15c (59f) and it is been like this for over a week. The sky is mostly overcast with the hint of a Chinook Arch to the west, but luckily the wind is pretty mild (for now).

I had been in the process of some basic winter maintenance, recently finished my install of the Shifter Brace and had been pulling apart the plastic to see what I can learn about my bike, so I put it back together and button everything up. It took a couple tries to fire the 1500 up and it ran a little rough to start but after 15-20min she was running smooth again. I suspect the roughness was from hastily completed winterizing. I doubt think I got enough fuel stabilizer run thought the carbs. My first stop is Chestermere Lake the location of todays errands. I complete them and headed to the North end of the lake for a picture. I don't have many pictures of my bike so I stopped at the James Peake Memorial Park and enjoyed the view of the melting ice;

It Pi day (3.1415 - March 14, 2015) and we have friends coming over tonight to eat, well, some pie, and I still had a few hours free so I decided to continue my ride to Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park to check out a campground that should be opening soon before I book any dates there.

In June 2013 Southern Alberta was hit with an EPIC flood. It was a 1 in a Century class flood that devistated so many communities, many of which will never recover and those that will still require many years to do so. In Calgary, well over 100,000 people, 10% of the cities population, was evacuated within hours and were force to stay away from their homes for days. Emergency services and first responder agencies were pushed beyond their breaking points. I personally worked 12 day in a row without break and incurred 55hrs of overtime in the first 6 days. It was an event like no other in the history of the Province. Wyndham-Carseland was no exception. It has been closed do to flood damage since June 2013. It is scheduled to open this Spring and I had hoped to see how it looked before booking some dates for camping but sadly it is still close. All roads and pathways in the park are blocked with warning signs everywhere.

Since I could not legally get into the park and check out the campground I decided to go check out the river. On the North side of the Bow River, across from the Park, there is a gravel access road taking you to the river bank. I took the bike over and down the road I went. It was a bit of a sketchy road, mostly washed gravel and packed sand and honestly I did not know what to expect. As I got about half way down I thought this might not be such a good idea. I could see the bottom was more sand than gravel, there was a lot of damp, not quite 'wet' soil and I am not all that experienced riding off road. Unfortunately I was past the point of no return with now way to turn around until I got to them bottom. But hey, I figure experience is gained from doing stupid things and I could not turn back so forward I went. It was actually not all that bad. The sand was strong enough to hold the bike and I was able to get a picture. The damp soil was a bit soft and slippery and I had a panic moment when I stalled out the bike while sliding around, but I never dumped it and made it out mostly clean.

After grabbing couple good pictures I headed home. The cross wind had really picked up at this point making the ride a really uncomfortable. I was leaned over at quite a significant angle just to keep going straight down the highway. At about 15km outside of Carseland the wind died down and it was smooth sailing all the way home. After 205km I was home, the steaks and potatoes were on the grill and our friends had arrived with some pie.

Craig

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: My First Ride of 2015

Postby Oldbear » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:02 am

You did get out for a good ride. I had the doors open on the shop as I worked on the bike and watched my kids... Neighbor was out all day on his bike and the world famous "Country Cousins Bistro" had quite a few bikers there for pie... I cried a little :cry: as I looked at the bike parts spread across my shop... I swear it was -20C and a foot of snow when I started the tear down. :oops:
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks for the story and pics. Weather is getting nice here in Illinois, but my wife and I are going away for 2 weeks visiting grandkids so I wont be riding until April. BAH !!!

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 am

The good weather did not last long. We got a dump of snow two days ago (nothing like out east thankfully) and we are looking at some more snow later today. Welcome to Calgary, the place where if you don't like the weather you just need to wait 10min because it will change. We should be back into more seasonal winter weather for the next couple weeks. My second ride of the season is going to have to wait for a little while.
Craig

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:12 am

That black windshield garnish along with the rest looks really nice. Wow. I'm liking.

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:29 pm

spiralout wrote:That black windshield garnish along with the rest looks really nice. Wow. I'm liking.

Thanks. It is a 'bra' like people used to put on the front of their cars many moons ago. It covers the window garnish as well as the front of the mirrors. I'll try to get a few better pics of it and upload tonight.
Craig

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Postby Mspinner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:56 pm

CWJ73 wrote:
spiralout wrote:That black windshield garnish along with the rest looks really nice. Wow. I'm liking.

Thanks. It is a 'bra' like people used to put on the front of their cars many moons ago. It covers the window garnish as well as the front of the mirrors. I'll try to get a few better pics of it and upload tonight.

I like that too!! Where can I get one of those? Looks like a great ride by the way....got tires put on today and woke her up from the winter sleep. Purred to life just fine. :) time to ride. :)

CWJ73

Previous

Postby CWJ73 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

Mspinner wrote:
CWJ73 wrote:

I like that too!! Where can I get one of those? Looks like a great ride by the way....got tires put on today and woke her up from the winter sleep. Purred to life just fine. :) time to ride. :)

I have no idea. It was on the bike when I got it and I have never seen a bike with the 'bra' on it before.

Craig

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”