Florida Bound this week (Apr 8-2015)

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Florida Bound this week (Apr 8-2015)

Postby FM-USA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:44 pm

I thought this should be in ANNOUNCEMENTS but couldn't post one there, so here it is in CHAT.
Running a quick trip to Jupiter, Florida for a friends wedding.
Will be running a hopefully UNdisasterable trip with my Wing hauling my trailer.
Again hopefully I'll skirt the predicted rain(s).
Last week the buds went down, trees were lining the super-slab in all directions. Harleys in trailers _ :roll: _
Current plan is leaving sometime early Wed. AM and be at the destination Thurs late or Fri by 3PM (camp checkin).
Shooting down I-94 (thru Chicago) I-65, I-24, I-75 then a few hrs rest just south of Atlanta.
Hitting the final (planned 10 hr) leg I-95 to campground in Johnathan Dickinson S.P..
Due to phone budget, anyone with Verizon wireless free calls but still uses minutes...
Since I'll be riding *"hang in there" till I pull over. ( * Then came Bronson)
(rev #s) 0 0 2 2 9 1 2 (7 4 8) can say hi.
(again rev) m o c . a s u @ m v f

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Florida Bound this week (Apr 8-2015)

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:33 pm

I hope you have a safe and dry ride to the Sunshine State. I imagine the weather will be marvelous .... watch out for those Burmese Pythons crossing the highway :-) Keep in touch too...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:42 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I hope you have a safe and dry ride to the Sunshine State. I imagine the weather will be marvelous .... watch out for those Burmese Pythons crossing the highway :-) Keep in touch too...

IF my (poor) luck holds out, I'll not even see a Gator.
Mid 70's a week before Rt-10 in the Bayou was officially open, I scooted around the barricades and cruised it from the west and looking over both sides, not one I saw. But ride'n a super-slab knowing no one else is on it was quiet and dreamy.
80's went to Florida twice and 90's once, hit the back roads, again nut'n.
I'm beginning to think they're figments of peoples imaginations.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:27 pm

I used to spend a lot of time in the woods, hunting and just generally poking around. Years ago, I went to Florida to visit my Sister (She lives in Zephyrhills) and took my 35mm camera to a state park (Pasco River flows through it) to get some pictures of "wild" alligators. I walked a long time, looking for a large slide in the sun (winter time) and finally found a nice 12-footer basking in the full sun on his/her slide. I backed away from the bank to get my camera setting right and as I crept back to the bank of the river to get the pictures, some children came walking down the path, laughing and playing... and before they got close enough to be seen, that gator vanished into the river.. It was the only decent sized gator I saw on the entire trip... that wasn't in a "zoo" of sorts... They're not as easy to see as I recon most people think they'd be.

I have seen them in the ditches, from the road, but I bet if you stopped to have a good look, they'd slip into or under the water to get away. I've been told the only gator you have to worry about it the one that isn't afraid of you.. Probably lots of fat lazy ones along the golf courses in Florida.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Ya, I know they're skittish but for those who are aggressive,....
I'll pull out my Sneaky Pete and shoot there eyes out. :shock:

. . :o
. . . . . . :lol:

The Bus Driver
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda F6B

Postby The Bus Driver » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 am

Hope you have a great time here in Florida. We are going to be very warm this week.looking at some possible 90s thur April 12th.I am just north of the Ft.Myers area,(Port Charlotte).When I am riding east of the urban coastal areas its not the 'gators or the snakes I am looking out for it's the wild feral hogs!! Take Note!! Tony--

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:27 am

I'd be amazed if you saw either a python or a gator. If you go into the everglades you would have to really go looking to find either. Not too common to see a gator on the roads either, but it does happen. Usually it will be a small one. Don't get caught using "Sneaky Pete", or you may be here for a much longer "vacation" than you expect as there is a season for gators and you have to be permitted. ;) Lots of gators on the backwaters all over the state. Have a good ride and watch out for the cagers who are blind! :shock:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:06 pm

"..looking out for it's the wild feral hogs!"
__ I'll install my "OINK OINK" horn. :o
Out west, it's the "MEEP MEEP" horn.

AND if I'm running through Washington DC, it's.. ..

"Ca'CHING Ca'CHING"
:lol:

-------------------------------------------------

"Don't get caught using "Sneaky Pete", or you may be here for a much longer "vacation" than you expect as there is a season for gators and you have to be permitted. ;) "
__ ummmm, "Sneaky Pete" is my cue stick.

-------------------------------------------------

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:00 pm

UPDATE:
"I've returned to the scene of the crime."
Safe and in the same number of pieces as I left with.
Total miles 3,045 in 4.75 days. Two nights were spent around the pool chat'n with the groom and brides mothers and others.
Arrived at the campground and set up camp. Boy scouts were nearby and asked if I needed any help. Quaint, I seen they waited till I was on the last tent pole. One kid noticed and asked why I was wearing wool socks and quilted jeans. I said I just rolled in from N. ILL where it was 39*F when I left and needed to get my tent up before dark.
Pretty much uneventful while down there, but on the way back was slightly different. Riding I-95 north I ran into a bud that left 30 minutes before me. He said he'd follow to watch by rear, he knew I was hit 1.5 yrs ago from the rear. Just passing Titusville Fl. we ran into a semi-severe storm, my bud said it was severe. Everyone's definition is different. ANYways, it was torrents, couldn't see more than 40-50 ft ahead and cars pulled over. That was great for me since "I" didn't feel it was quite that bad but my bud said it was. Cars pulling over made me feel like I was Noah, LOL! .
Winds were from the east waving the treetops pretty good. Then I noticed the trees on the left were now flopping and that meant the wind changed direction. So I shifted my weight to the left and WAP! got hit with a gust. If I didn't shift the weight I would have been blown sideways a bit, I road on. Unknowing my bud was taking pictures and one second I was visible the next GONE! Well, his wipers couldn't keep up with the down pour but my Rain-X shield kept up nicely. Just as the torrent ceased I noticed some down trees and the rain culverts were geysering about a foot. Gee didn't seem like that much rain fell, I was hunkered down behind my windshield. Only part of me that got wet were my knees on down. My silicone sealed glove covers worked out GREAT!
Stopped for fuel and my bud asked if that was my first storm to ride through. NOPE, I road through worse a couple times. That's why I didn't pull over, to me it wasn't that bad. His wife offered a beach towel to dry off. I laughed and said I was dry except for my shoes, unbelievable she said. Well that opened the opportunity for me to say, "That's another difference tween a Wing and a HD" (which was IN there trailer at the time)... but didn't.

Indy to home was the toughest stretch. Lack of sleep caught up with me and had to pull over to snooze 3 times before hitting I-80. Can't be tired and run'n next to the big rigs.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:12 am

Biggest problem there, is the cagers that think they can see but actually can't. Rainex makes it look like you are standing on the porch looking out through the rain. Good stuff on car windows, but thought that you weren't supposed to use it on bike windshields.? If they are now making one that works well on plastic, I need to get some. Time for Florida's afternoon daily showers.
I have used rainex on cars and be driving at night and not knowing it was raining till I met a car going the other direction. then you could see it splashing because of his lights. I have some Raincote that I am going to try out. Glad you got back home safe. :)

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 am

I'm not sure why others have problems with Rain-X on Lexan windshields. I've used it on one shield for 6 years and never a problem. I spray it on the shield and wiped it on.
I don't use much and use a very small rag, toe cutoffs from cotton socks. I keep wiping until dry streaks show and when that happens I'll use a clean dry rag and buff it out. ALL strokes are up and down only so no swirls happen.
Deb used a gas station squeegee once to do me a favor. Ya, when I got back from paying the fuel it was too late, several circles of rock scratches :o . Lucky me I kept my dads very old bottle of (Dupont) plastic buffing compound for fiberglass boats. Took 2 years of general cleaning and those deep scratches were almost gone, as were the micro swirls. Nice clear shield... within reason.
It's a shame Dupont changed that formula, the new stuff just don't cut like the old stuff.

By the way,
I have used Windex on my plastic windshields "BUT" I spray it on a rag first wait a few seconds then wipe. I've never let it sit on the plastic for very long, maybe 5 seconds or so, so it doesn't sit there long. That might be the key?

Helpful hint:
JUST one squirt in your cars windshield wiper reservoir is all you need. One spray bottle will last you a good year or three. I've never had problems with that stuff and hoses or pumps.
I'm currently using Rain-X on our kitchen ceramic counters. After 8 months of wiping it's still beading up water and food is easier to wipe. OH, has a GREAT SHINE also!!! I emailed the company before doing that, they said once dry it's food safe.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 am

I miss called this stuff as Rain Cote, it is Rain Coat. :oops: Comes in a pump spray bottle and 4 squirts and the shield is done. Soft cloth is included in the box, just buff it in till you can't see it and you are done. Basically just spread it around. Just follow their directions, easier than Rainx, and thats easy! Works like there is no shield there, rain is gone. :D I will be using this stuff for a while. :D

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 am

Rain-X
Comes in a pump spray bottle and (bike windshield) 1 squirt and the shield is done. Basically I just spread it around with my fingers then use an old clean cotton sock. Just buff it in (top to bottom only) till you can't see it and you are done.
Just follow their directions, easier than '' ? '', and that's easy!
:P

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:03 am

FM-USA wrote:Rain-X
Comes in a pump spray bottle and (bike windshield) 1 squirt and the shield is done. Basically I just spread it around with my fingers then use an old clean cotton sock. Just buff it in (top to bottom only) till you can't see it and you are done.
Just follow their directions, easier than '' ? '', and that's easy!
:P

Regular Rain-X should never be used on plexiglas or acrylic windshields. However, they now have a new version specially made for just this type of windshield:

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-620036-Pla ... ingdocs-20

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:16 am

Rain-X for plastic... GREAT.

I've been using the regular stuff on my Wings windshield for many-many years now and no ill effects.
;)
I'm now using it on our ceramic counter-top.... and we're still alive.
;)
Personally, I'm thinking all that is HYPE to buy the other brand... whatever it is.
8-)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 pm

FM-USA wrote:Rain-X for plastic... GREAT.

I've been using the regular stuff on my Wings windshield for many-many years now and no ill effects.
;)
I'm now using it on our ceramic counter-top.... and we're still alive.
;)
Personally, I'm thinking all that is HYPE to buy the other brand... whatever it is.
8-)

Rain-X themselves repeatedly state that original Rain-X should never be used on plastic, acrylic or plexiglas surfaces. It's on the bottle, it's all over their web site.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”