Planning a Ride from Saskatchewan to the Maritimes

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
TheRobbie1950
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

Planning a Ride from Saskatchewan to the Maritimes

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 am

My wife and I want to attempt a trip this Summer from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to the Maritimes and back with family visits in Toronto and Montreal.
We would love to meet any of this site's members along the way, and anyone who would like to tag along is welcome to do so.(we have no problem with sharing hotel/motel rooms to save some cash)
We are not exactly sure when we will leave yet. We are flexible on dates, and we are not on any kind of a time frame, but we do want to smell the roses along the way.
Send us a private message/email if you are interested and we can work out the details........... :D
Oh yes, and any helpful tips for a trip like this will be greatly appreciated.
Rob and Susie

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Planning a Ride from Saskatchewan to the Maritimes

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am

Tip! -make sure you both have a good rain suit!

Tip! - On the way east, sometimes it's wise to sit out a rain storm at your motel, as the predominant weather pattern is west to east. I have ridden in the same thunder cell from Penticton, BC all the way to just north of Kansas City, MO. If I had an extra day of travel time, I would have held tight for 1 day at the motel to let the cell move on.

Tip! - Enjoy the ride around the north shore of Lake Superior. Check out the falls at Kakabeka Falls, right by the Provincial Park entrance, just outside of Thunder Bay.

Tip - When you get to the cut off for Espanola, ON head south through Manatoulin Island to South Baymouth and catch the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to Tobermory and follow this route along the beautiful beaches of Georgina Bay, over to The Big Chutes Marine Railway lift(Pointer B) which are very unique, Then follow route north a bit to 38 and in to Bala, where you head south to Gravenhurst. See if the steamships Segwun and Wenonah II, which ply the Muskpka Lakes are docked at the wharf.

From there, follow the traffic into Toronto following Hwys 11 & 400.

Once you are done with the 'Big Smoke', head north and follow Hwy 7 east, as it is quite scenic and gets you away from the mayhem that is the 401!!! :roll:

I would cross over the Ottawa River here and follow that to 138, bypassing the craziness that is Montreal.

From there, follow 138 all along the magical north shore of the St Lawrence to Godbout, QC, where you pick up another ferry and cross over to Matane. (departs early!)

From there it's up to you which way you choose to go. East around The Gaspe, or south through the Matapedia River Valley. You can always take the other on the return trip

Tip! - Do the Cabot Trail anti-clockwise.
Tip! - a stop at the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site in Baddeck, is a must, as is the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic site, NS!! 8-)
Tip! - on your way back through ON, stop in at the Nation's Capitol and spend a few days checking it out
Tip! - Stop in and see The Big Nickel, in Sudbury

Best Tip! - Have FUN! and ride safe!! ;)

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:31 am

Hey thanks DB for the input.
All advice will surely be considered.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:Tip! -make sure you both have a good rain suit!

Tip! - On the way east, sometimes it's wise to sit out a rain storm at your motel, as the predominant weather pattern is west to east. I have ridden in the same thunder cell from Penticton, BC all the way to just north of Kansas City, MO. If I had an extra day of travel time, I would have held tight for 1 day at the motel to let the cell move on.

Tip! - Enjoy the ride around the north shore of Lake Superior. Check out the falls at Kakabeka Falls, right by the Provincial Park entrance, just outside of Thunder Bay.

Tip - When you get to the cut off for Espanola, ON head south through Manatoulin Island to South Baymouth and catch the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to Tobermory and follow this route along the beautiful beaches of Georgina Bay, over to The Big Chutes Marine Railway lift(Pointer B) which are very unique, Then follow route north a bit to 38 and in to Bala, where you head south to Gravenhurst. See if the steamships Segwun and Wenonah II, which ply the Muskpka Lakes are docked at the wharf.

From there, follow the traffic into Toronto following Hwys 11 & 400.

Once you are done with the 'Big Smoke', head north and follow Hwy 7 east, as it is quite scenic and gets you away from the mayhem that is the 401!!! :roll:

I would cross over the Ottawa River here and follow that to 138, bypassing the craziness that is Montreal.

From there, follow 138 all along the magical north shore of the St Lawrence to Godbout, QC, where you pick up another ferry and cross over to Matane. (departs early!)

From there it's up to you which way you choose to go. East around The Gaspe, or south through the Matapedia River Valley. You can always take the other on the return trip

Tip! - Do the Cabot Trail anti-clockwise.
Tip! - a stop at the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site in Baddeck, is a must, as is the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic site, NS!! 8-)
Tip! - on your way back through ON, stop in at the Nation's Capitol and spend a few days checking it out
Tip! - Stop in and see The Big Nickel, in Sudbury

Best Tip! - Have FUN! and ride safe!! ;)

Awesome post Ken!
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Definitely an awesome post, I just found time to actually go through the links and follow the maps.

Thanks again for the input RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:46 am

I can echo the tip of doing the Cabot Trail counter-clockwise. You will be on the "outside" lane, and get to see all the majestic cliffs and ocean views that you wouldn't see from the "inside" lane. I would also recommend taking your time and stopping frequently to see sights. 2 or 3 days is not out of the order - and there are lots of bed and breakfast places along the route.

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks for the input WA. Is there a specific link to locate Bed and Breakfasts? Or a good cheap motel site?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 am

TheRobbie1950 wrote:Thanks for the input WA. Is there a specific link to locate Bed and Breakfasts? Or a good cheap motel site?

Here you go:

http://www.bbcanada.com/nova_scotia/cap ... abot_trail

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Never mind about the accommodation links, I started to research the cabot trail and there is lots of info available on Cape Breton Island.

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:10 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
TheRobbie1950 wrote:Thanks for the input WA. Is there a specific link to locate Bed and Breakfasts? Or a good cheap motel site?

Here you go:

http://www.bbcanada.com/nova_scotia/cap ... abot_trail

LOL....thanks again WA, I just found that link.......:-)

onelostsock
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Postby onelostsock » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Equally as spectacular as the Cabot Trail is the circumnavigation of the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. My wife and I did that trip a couple of years ago and loved every minute and mile of it. We did do it in 5 days and stayed at a different venue each of those nights which made days of 150 miles +- easy and relaxing. The landscape is quite spectacular and the people are very friendly all along the way. And it is also advisable to make the loop counterclockwise so you are on the water side the whole way.And if in Maine, Acadia Nat'l Park in Bar Harbor is always nice for a day trip with Bar Harbor having many places to stay and eat(just a little busy in the summer). Good luck on your trip and safe riding.

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks OLS, we will definitely keep it in mind.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks to Dusty for the info. Wife and I are actually considering the same trip.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

fixdent
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby fixdent » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Let me know your dates....I live 2 hours north of the transcanada between Kenora, ON and Dryden. I may scoot down and have coffe with you along your trip.

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:52 am

fixdent wrote:Let me know your dates....I live 2 hours north of the transcanada between Kenora, ON and Dryden. I may scoot down and have coffe with you along your trip.

--
Gordon

Sounds good Gordon. What place would be best to meet up? We will plan to include that stop on our trip.
I did a google search of Red Lake (from your profile) and I see that you live in what is as close to it gets to Paradise? (although I would like some tropical temps for it to be my dream locale.... :lol: )

fixdent
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby fixdent » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:20 am

You will be travelling through Kenora (TransCanada Hwy 17 ) . From there you can either travel Hwy 71 through Fort Frances and onward to Thunder Bay. Or you continue on Hwy 17 through Dryden and onward to Thunder Bay. Through fort Frances is your best scenic route along Lake of the Woods. I could either met up with you in Kenora, maybe travel to Fort Frances ( 2 hours) and I would head back home up Hwy 502.

Or, if you stay on 17, I would meet you along there (Vermilion Bay) , travel to Dryden, ( 1/2 hour) and have lunch/dinner/coffee there.

This would all depend on your dates and if it will fit into my schedule. (I still work, but am self employed)

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:29 am

fixdent wrote:You will be travelling through Kenora (TransCanada Hwy 17 ) . From there you can either travel Hwy 71 through Fort Frances and onward to Thunder Bay. Or you continue on Hwy 17 through Dryden and onward to Thunder Bay. Through fort Frances is your best scenic route along Lake of the Woods. I could either met up with you in Kenora, maybe travel to Fort Frances ( 2 hours) and I would head back home up Hwy 502.

Or, if you stay on 17, I would meet you along there (Vermilion Bay) , travel to Dryden, ( 1/2 hour) and have lunch/dinner/coffee there.

This would all depend on your dates and if it will fit into my schedule. (I still work, but am self employed)

--
Gordon

I will let you know later when we get things sorted out and something definite.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:17 am

Dusty Boots wrote:I would cross over the Ottawa River here and follow that to 138, bypassing the craziness that is Montreal.

I must say, Dusty Boots, that you know your stuff. All good tips, and in fact some great ones. The one I quoted from you is one of the great ones. There is an alternative, and that would be to cross the river at Hawkesbury, only a few kilometers sooner than the Ferry to Oka, and it only adds about 20 kms to the drive, and saves the cost of the ferry. It is really an insignificant cost if one wishes to have a ferry trip, but in the interest of avoiding boats, my choice would be the bridge at Hawkesbury. I would still take 640 to avoid the craziness that is Montreal, though. :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

TheRobbie1950

Postby TheRobbie1950 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 am

TheRobbie1950 wrote:My wife and I want to attempt a trip this Summer from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to the Maritimes and back with family visits in Toronto and Montreal.
We would love to meet any of this site's members along the way, and anyone who would like to tag along is welcome to do so.(we have no problem with sharing hotel/motel rooms to save some cash)
We are not exactly sure when we will leave yet. We are flexible on dates, and we are not on any kind of a time frame, but we do want to smell the roses along the way.
Send us a private message/email if you are interested and we can work out the details........... :D
Oh yes, and any helpful tips for a trip like this will be greatly appreciated.
Rob and Susie

We are still looking for some brave souls to join us on this trip. We are very flexible as far as routes, times, etc., and think it would be great to have at least one other couple come with us :D
R and S

delly
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing GL1500

Postby delly » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:23 am

Hey, I see we are almost a year later now. That trip is on my bucket list. Can you share your experience with us? We live west of Toronto.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”