Americade?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
rjlv25
Motorcycle: 2004 FXDLI Low Rider
1987 GL1200I Interstate
1982 GS1100L (SOLD)
1982 KZ1000LTD (SOLD)
1979 KZ750B4 (Traded)

Americade?

Postby rjlv25 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm planning on riding to Lake George on Friday morning (6/5) and back home on Saturday. It's about a 4 hour ride for me. Never having been there, does anyone have any suggestions? I recently started a new job, so couldn't get any more time off. Got a hotel booked (luckily). Wondering if there's anything that shouldn't be missed. Thanks.

Rick

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Americade?

Postby harvey01 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:18 am

No matter how you view it you will miss a lot! You are limited with time so you may not be able to take any of the tours or boat rides.

Plan carefully as you are probably planning to get a day pass so do you want it for Friday after you arrive or for Sat before you depart.

Probably the best event you will have to opportunity to attend will be the vendor show. You have to have a full pass or a day pass to get in but then you can wander around for hours looking at stuff to buy. This is a great place to try on jackets, pants and helmets to see what you like. Probably boots also.

I am not sure what events are scheduled for Friday night but hopefully it is something going on.

Have a wonderful time, and enjoy seeing so many bikes in one place.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Depending on how much walking you like to enjoy, when you get your day pass, check out the trolley ticket. $10 I think, gets you unlimited riding on the trolley cars. This can save a lot of walking if your hotel room and bike parking is not near the vendors area or the display areas. Otherwise, plan to look hard for parking, and also to walk your boots off. I spent five days there last year, had the trolley pass and still probably walked 30 miles. A well planned hotel location is probably a good idea.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

rjlv25
1987 GL1200I Interstate
1982 GS1100L (SOLD)
1982 KZ1000LTD (SOLD)
1979 KZ750B4 (Traded)

Postby rjlv25 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Thank you guys. I got a hotel in Saratoga Springs and probably was lucky to get that since it was only a couple weeks ago. It should be interesting.

rjlv25
1987 GL1200I Interstate
1982 GS1100L (SOLD)
1982 KZ1000LTD (SOLD)
1979 KZ750B4 (Traded)

Postby rjlv25 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Just as an update, my brother bailed out, so I ended up going by myself. $10 for parking, $10 for entrance to the expo, and $16 for a t-shirt. 2 hours of walking around and I managed to ride away without the kickstand pad that I just bought. Also, $8 for a hamburger is ridiculous. Probably won't go back.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 am

It does not sound like you got a whole lot out of it. I spent five days there last year and enjoyed every minute. I registered and everything. For those who register, they have draws for prizes all week, and I won two dinner cruise tickets on one of the lake boat tours, which took care of dinner for two nights as I was alone. I also won some other scag, just because I stayed to the end and checked every day. Harley Davidson fed me lunch on two days from their free Sausage on a Bun stand, and Indian took me on a lunch ride on their bikes. All in all, breakfast is almost the only meal I had to buy. I did walk a lot as I mentioned before, and I camped about three Kms from the venue, so had to ride in every day. I bought the $10 Trolley pass, so parked the bike and trolleyed everywhere. I found that if I caught the trolley, and rode it to the end of the line and back, it passed right by the vendor area entrance on the return route. Then I could catch it there later and it would return me to my bike. It took me a day to learn that trick. The trolleys are air conditioned so it was a break from heat at the same time. Sorry to hear you did not enjoy yourself.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”