Around Lake Michigan

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Koebes
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE
1985 Honda Elite 250

Around Lake Michigan

Postby Koebes » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 am

Hello all...
I'm planning a trip around Lake Michigan for Memorial Day Weekend! Kind of a short notice & just Wingin it :lol: ....and my first overnight Wing trip!
I'm leaving from NW Ohio and riding up through Michigan.
My question is: should I take Rt 31 along the lake or Rt 37 or Rt 131 from Grand Rapids to Traverse City ? This isn't a SS 1000 ride.....I have extra time; I'm just looking for the scenic route.
And on the other side .... From Escanaba to Marinette : Rt 2 or Rt 35 ?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Re: Around Lake Michigan

Postby Breakdancer » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi Steve,

In my honest opinion for what it's worth, here goes. At least part of it anyways. After crossing the Mackinac Bridge jump right on 2. There are some great views of the bridge from the north side. It is very impressive. 5 miles long. It's a great ride all through the U.P. (upper peninsula). Then 35 down to Marinette, for sure. There I would take 41 south. Just as your getting into Green Bay, hop on 43 south and cross the Bay Bridge. From that bridge to your left is a nice view of the bay, and on your right you can see Lambeau Field. Home of the world famous Green Bay Packers! (Sorry, I'm bias, but they are Americas' team! Ha) A few short miles after the bridge you'll find 54-57 north. Stay on 57. That will take you up to Door County. My wife and I ride up there as often as possible. A nice day trip. She likes light houses and well.. I just like to ride. If in Sturgeon Bay around lunch time, Greystone Castle has the best prime rib sandwich you ever ate. It's a 5 hour ride just for lunch sometimes. LOL.. Just out of Sturgeon Bay you could take 42 all the way to Northport, kind of traveling up the west side of the county. Or what I do, in Sturgeon Bay take Bay Shore Dr. (hwy B) along the lake. Then turn on Horseshoe Bay Rd.(hwy G) and ride into Egg Harbor. Next town is Fish Creek. In this little town there is a VERY interesting store called The Hide Side. My wife likes to look at purses and nick nacks, and I like to look at the nice collection of things that go BOOM. From there we head up to Northport. Sometimes we take a ferry to Washington Island, then another to Rock Island.( No vehicles on the Rock ). She does love those lighthouses!! Then bring 42 back down till you meet up with 57. This will bring you down the east side somewhat. Come on back down until you can get on 42 south again.It kind of makes a little loop. That will take you down to Manitowoc. There is a Maritime Museum there. Some neat stuff, and a submarine too. From there I usually start heading back to my home turf. BTW, you might want to pick up a State Park sticker. Peninsula State Park right next to Fish Creek is a pleasant ride. Climb the lookout tower if you have time. These are just my thoughts.... Being a holiday weekend, you can expect traffic...Remember, we are invisible... Enjoy the ride and I hope you have pleasant weather!! Oh... also, on lower Michigan, 31 is an awesome ride between Traverse City and Petosky!! ;)
Attachments
Cana Island Lighthouse
Cana Island Lighthouse
West view from tower at Peninsula Stae Park
West view from tower at Peninsula Stae Park
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:13 pm

It has been a number of years but I took the western route US 31 along the coast up through Michigan. Most of the smaller towns had some fantastic old homes. I remember especially enjoying Petoskey. I think it was later in June but there was a huge CruiseIN in St Ignace and lots of great old vehicles to see.

I also took RT 2 on around to Wisconsin and then down along the coast there. Yes, I did stop at Lambeau Field and take a tour, then it was on to Milwaukee which has a nice waterfront.

You should have a great time. I understand there is a ferry across Lake Michigan that you might want to take coming home just for the boat ride.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun May 17, 2015 10:08 pm

I took some time to follow the routing on a map, and look up Wikipedia for a description of the area.

That will take you down to Manitowoc. There is a Maritime Museum there. Some neat stuff, and a submarine too.

It is interesting to note that ship building in WW2 included submarines, landing craft, and other vessels. Did the subs go underground to get to the ocean? Or is there a canal or river that leads them to an ocean? Interesting place, but I bet it is too cold for Southerners in winter.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Mon May 18, 2015 9:30 am

It's been two years since I've done that trip, but we rode the west coast from Grand Rapids north, the Tunnel of Trees, Traverse City and Bay City, across the Mighty Mack, to Ontonagon and up to Copper Harbor. There is an outstanding microbrewery there and we spent the night with the owner talking brewing and of course tasting his wares. From there we visited Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains State Park. Crossed over into Wisconsin and made stops in Green Bay (Packer fan was with us) and Milwaukee(had a Harley fan too). Rode into Chicago, did some sights and then through Indiana(best seen late at night- but don't stop!)and back to Grand Rapids. It was quite an adventure and the U.P. can be breathtaking. Take plenty of pictures and plan on making lots of stops.

Koebes
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE
1985 Honda Elite 250

Postby Koebes » Thu May 21, 2015 5:15 am

Thanks for all the great information. I might postpone the trip to another weekend due to weather and as member pointed out the fact that's its a holiday weekend with tons of traffic.
I will post pics and info when I do go.....
Thanks again & ride safe
Steve

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu May 21, 2015 7:49 am

redial wrote:It is interesting to note that ship building in WW2 included submarines, landing craft, and other vessels. Did the subs go underground to get to the ocean? Or is there a canal or river that leads them to an ocean? Interesting place, but I bet it is too cold for Southerners in winter.

The great lakes (all of them) have channels, rivers and locks to transport boats and ships to the St Lawrence Seaway, and thereby to the ocean. We have many Aussies who manage to survive winter in our cold climates. Takes real men though. :lol: :twisted: :lol:

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”