Ohio to Yellowstone in late August

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
coke43
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE

Ohio to Yellowstone in late August

Postby coke43 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 am

Planning a trip to Yellowstone area at the end of August-first of September. I am looking for any suggestions/recommendations any of you may have. We need to start making reservations real soon, I know it's too late to get any lodging in the park. Where to stay, what all to see, roads that can't or should be missed. Also, how hot-how cold has anyone experienced. I'll be picking my wife up at the airport in Cheyenne, Wy, the first 18 hours of the ride may be a little much for her.
Thanks for any input anyone may have.

James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Ohio to Yellowstone in late August

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:04 pm

I would recommend going from Cheyenne to Thermoplis, Wy. then on to Cody. Thermopolis is where the Hole In The Wall gang used to hang out. There is a great hot springs there and two hotels right close to it. One is a Best Western, can't recall the other. Cody has an awesome western museum that you don't want to miss. Cody is also an East side entrance to the Park. I used to live in Wyoming and there are great things to see on that run up from Cheyenne.

From Casper you go west to Shoshone and turn right. It will run along a beautiful canyon and river. You will love it and then you enter Thermopolis.

Cody may still have some places to stay also. There is a Best Western, Holiday Inn, and some local set ups. There is a historic hotel in downtown that Wild Bill used to own, The Irma, and may still have rooms available. Never stayed there so don't know what it is like but have eaten there and you should try it, great steaks.

Thermopolis is worth a half a day or so, but Cody is worth 2-3. Many fun things in Cody. The Park is close enough that you can stay there (Cody) and go up to it. Of course it depends on where in the Park you want to go. Good Luck, PM if you have any other ?'s.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:02 pm

If you plan to get to Yellowstone after Labor day you may be able to get some reservations in the Park. That is sort of the end of the prime tourist season. Make sure you don't miss the Tetons south of Yellowstone.

There is so much to see in that area, have fun, take your time and enjoy!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

CMReynolds1

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:58 am

Coke,
I did some more checking on routes. There are basically 2 (4 but 2 out of the way). I have attached both maps for the routes I would go and for the sites you see. One goes through Rawlins and you will go past 4th of July Rock. A nice ride. 4th of July Rock is a National Monument, if the settlers didn't make it there by 7/04, they would deal with snow in the Rockies. Many, many etched there names in the rocks. Kind of neat.
The second goes up to Casper and then picks up secondary roads. I described its sites on the first post. But I am putting both maps here so you can see. By the way my map program says Cheyenne-Rawlins-Cody is 393.1 Miles and Cheyenne-Casper-Cody is 412.6 miles. If you go the Rawlins route, there is an old Territorial Prison that you will go by. It has a museum and I believe tours.
Either Both routes run you through the Wind River Reservation. No big deal, just a factoid.
Also either way takes you through the town of Shoshone. Very small town! But, there used to be drug store (Rexall) there that had great hamburgers and awesome milk shakes made with local handmade ice cream.
Dress accordingly, it will be warm in Wyoming this time of year. Also remember to move slowly for a day or two. The altitude takes a day or so to get used to. So, plenty of fluids and don't over exert first day or so. Wyoming averages ( my guess) 5000' altitude with passes at 8000'! Since you will drive there, you will acclimate easily. The wife will be the one to feel it so suddenly, since she flies in.
Also, mind you gas and mileage. Only gas in the towns along the way. Too deserted to find anything in between, except maybe a friendly rancher.
PM me with any other questions. I could also get you an actual mileage breakdown of the route you chose with turns, etc.

Hope some of this helps
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

coke43

Postby coke43 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks so much for the info. We're going to try to finalize our thoughts this week. CM, I really appreciate the local facts. There is a good chance I'll be getting back with you soon.
James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

CMReynolds1

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:39 am

How did your trip go? I hope you had a great time.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

coke43

Postby coke43 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 am

Hey Chuck, thanks for the thoughts. We are knee deep in the trip right now. Slight change from the original plans, she flew into Casper. We are headed north this morning. What a terrific ride so far.

CMReynolds1

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:02 am

Enjoy and be safe. Keep us posted.
Ride Safe,
Taz

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 am

If you are looking to stay in West Yellowstone the Evergreen Motel and the One Horse Motel are great places with decent rates.

In Yellowstone make sure you go to the Canyon and walk down to the falls. One of my favourite things in Yellowstone. Old Faithful came in last.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

coke43

Postby coke43 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Man, what a trip. 4273 miles of amazing scenery and beautiful weather. Anyone going that way, I highly recommend riding up through the Wind River Canyon, north of Casper, Wyoming, a truly majestic ride. 4 days in Yellowstone, in or out of all 5 entrances to the park. Beartooth highway (only got to do the easy half because of time) then Chief Joseph highway. East to Custer, SD and Devil's tower, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and the Iron Mt. highway and Needle's highway. WOW! Wall Drug, the Badlands, the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD, thru Chicago and home. I would recommend this ride to one and all.

CMReynolds1

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:48 pm

I am glad you had a great time. Some beautiful country and lots of history! I hope you enjoyed Wall Drug as much as did. I have been there 3 times and love it!

Ride Safe,
Taz

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”