Old Fogey invades the USA (Again!)

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Old Fogey invades the USA (Again!)

Postby Old Fogey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Hey guys,

Once again, I'm heading to the States and Canada. It would be great to meet up with any of you who can make it to the various events that Doug and I will be attending.

This time I land 12th June and our first event will be the AHRMA races in Grattan, MI on Saturday 13th. Vintage road racing at it's best. Pray that the weather is good for it.

Next up is the Vintage Bike Day at Gilmour Motor Museum ( http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/) on Sunday 14th. There will be a fairly large contingent from NGW there too. This place is amazing; be sure to make time to take in the cars as well as enjoying the bikes.

A few days break; hmm... not really. I have to pull the engine out of mine to fix a recurring clutch problem.

Then we are off to Paris, Ontario. The bike club there is putting on their usual show, but this time it's a showcase for the 40th Anniversary of the Goldwing. (http://www.cvmg.ca/event-1860955)
The CVMG Paris National Rally June 19 - 21, 2015 to be held at the Paris Fairgrounds on Silver Street in Paris Ontario.
The NGW guys will have a tented presence and a display of Wings, and we would welcome any of you that can drop by and say hello.

So that you will recognise me, I'll be the handsome one in the crowd. If that doesn't do it, look for an orange baseball cap with Old Fogey on it. I might even manage to persuade Doug to wear his orange Cyborg cap, but that is none too likely. :lol:

We may also be heading for the dirt track racing in Lima, Ohio the following weekend, Saturday 28th, but that's not set in stone yet. ( http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/events/e ... &year=2014 )

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Old Fogey invades the USA (Again!)

Postby redial » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:42 am

Old Fogey,
I do not want to carry your bags, as I bet they will be full of GW 'souvenirs' that you might just need when you get back home :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:51 pm

redial wrote:Old Fogey,
I do not want to carry your bags, as I bet they will be full of GW 'souvenirs' that you might just need when you get back home :roll:

Well, I'm not even there yet and in the bags to come back so far:
Complete set of 82 1100 front calipers and master cylinder for the 79 I have here.
An Airhawke for a customer
A pile of crankshaft bearings
Several Randakk carb kits
Plus other stuff that has been gathering at Doug's place over the last few weeks.

What I need to find is an 1100 plenum complete with all the operating mechanism; throttle arms, quadrant, choke linkage etc. Basically everything other than the carbs., to complete a set I have here. If anyone can help with this or even parts of it, please PM me. Stuff like that just never appears over here.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Just as I thought! Who pays the excess baggage charges?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 am

Hm, it sounds like the Paris event might be some fun, and it's not all that far from me, only a few hours' ride.

If not, please feel free to stop by on your travels - it sounds like you may be coming fairly close to where I live! You could make a trek to Cyclemax, which is just down the road from me.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:25 am

WingAdmin wrote:Hm, it sounds like the Paris event might be some fun, and it's not all that far from me, only a few hours' ride.

If not, please feel free to stop by on your travels - it sounds like you may be coming fairly close to where I live! You could make a trek to Cyclemax, which is just down the road from me.

That would be real good, to meet the Main Man behind the Forum. If you can't make Paris, in all probability we will be at the Flat Track racing in Lima on Sat 27th (not 28th as I had posted) if you fancy meeting up with us there. Only a couple of hours away from you I guess.
Image Image

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Back home in the UK after an eventful trip. The Paris show was awesome. Unfortunately I lost my camera on the way back to Michigan, so no pics I'm sorry.
We had to head straight back to Muskegon as I had trouble with my bike. For some time I had not liked the noisy engine, plus I had drive issues from a standing start.
This drive problem had become much worse by Paris, so much so that we slabbed it back from there to avoid traffic lights. I brought a new output shaft fitted with a new shock absorber spring with me as I was convinced that was the main problem.
When I pulled the crankcase filter there was pieces of metal in it, so a strip down was in order. In doing so, one of the long 6mm case bolts snapped off in it and we could not get it out.
The metal problem was a severely chewed up primary chain oiler. I can only guess that this was installed wrongly when I built the engine. Fortunately the primary chain was still good, in spite of the lack of oiling.

A 78 bottom end was dug out and checked over. For many reasons I transferred all my internals to these cases. Everet Powersports broke the shipping record to get a full Vesrah gasket set to me.
In spite of many setbacks, it is now all back together but for some unknown reason I have lost all electrics. Doug will investigate this as I ran right out of time.
A huge thank you to all my wonderful USA and Canadian friends who again made this trip so memorable.

Image Image

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”