Vancouver Island

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Brad`s 2nd time
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade 1982 GL500 Silverwing

Vancouver Island

Postby Brad`s 2nd time » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:05 pm

My wife and I are going to do a tour of Van. Is. any good seafood shacks y the ocean you can think of ,we`re trying for Victoria - port hardy

Brad from Thrums

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Vancouver Island

Postby Mh434 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Barb's (right downtown, on the docks at Fisherman's Wharf in the inner harbor) is great - very much a seafood shack, with fantastic halibut & fries (very high ratings), and you can sit right on the docks while you eat. I don't know if she's still there, but for years there was a more-or-less tame seal that hung out on the dock under Barb's. Don't think it got many treats, but it seemed to like the company!

As you work your way up island a ways, Cowichan Bay (a very quaint little seaside village, just south of Duncan) has the Rock Cod Cafe. Excellent food!

A little further north in Nanaimo, there's the Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island (a cheap, passenger-only, 10 minutes-or-so ferry gets you there. Great place for a walkabout after a meal of outstanding seafood - the island is wonderful! Everyone gets around on golf carts (the island's roads aren't paved). We loved it so much, that my wife and I wanted to buy property there! Takes about 45 minutes to circumnavigate the island on foot. Lots of deer, ocean vistas, quaint cabins & houses, etc. to look at. All the street & place names are pirate-themed...legend has it that the island was actually used by pirates (although its history was primarily centered around mining).

That should get you started!

Brad`s 2nd time
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade 1982 GL500 Silverwing

Re: Vancouver Island

Postby Brad`s 2nd time » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Mh434 wrote:Barb's (right downtown, on the docks at Fisherman's Wharf in the inner harbor) is great - very much a seafood shack, with fantastic halibut & fries (very high ratings), and you can sit right on the docks while you eat. I don't know if she's still there, but for years there was a more-or-less tame seal that hung out on the dock under Barb's. Don't think it got many treats, but it seemed to like the company!

As you work your way up island a ways, Cowichan Bay (a very quaint little seaside village, just south of Duncan) has the Rock Cod Cafe. Excellent food!

A little further north in Nanaimo, there's the Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island (a cheap, passenger-only, 10 minutes-or-so ferry gets you there. Great place for a walkabout after a meal of outstanding seafood - the island is wonderful! Everyone gets around on golf carts (the island's roads aren't paved). We loved it so much, that my wife and I wanted to buy property there! Takes about 45 minutes to circumnavigate the island on foot. Lots of deer, ocean vistas, quaint cabins & houses, etc. to look at. All the street & place names are pirate-themed...legend has it that the island was actually used by pirates (although its history was primarily centered around mining).

That should get you started!
Thanks for the tips we had a house in Tahsis a Cpl 12 yrs back and my wifes dad lives in Victoria will definitely try protection island
Brad from Thrums

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”