Great Northwest trip

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Great Northwest trip

Postby dtrider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 pm

My wife and I just got back from a ten-day, 2330 mile trip from Boise to Wyoming, Montana, back through the Idaho Panhandle into Washington, and finally into northern Oregon to home. We hit Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier parks and rode through Hells Canyon. It was an awesome trip. Seeing the country on a bike is definitely the way to go, and a Goldwing is the best bike to use.

Outside Swan Valley, ID. Ran into some rain when we hit Swan Valley, but managed to ride out of it before too long.

The rain caught up with us again just as I got the bike covered at the hotel in Alpine, WY.

After Alpine we rode through Grand Teton National Park into south Yellowstone. The mountain range in Grand Teton are glorious!

Coming in to south Yellowstone. The trees were so thick at times it felt like I was riding through a green version of the concrete corridors of L.A. freeways (but much better).

Coming out of east Yellowstone headed towards Cody, WY.

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

dtrider

Re: Great Northwest trip

Postby dtrider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Beartooth Highway. Lots of tight turns, but awesome vistas. It was windy as hell, but at least it wasn't raining or foggy.

Coming down from Beartooth. Fantastic views.

Ran in to a family of bears coming down the road in Yellowstone. One of the cubs decided that the bike was interesting and decided to come over and check us out. Since mama was there, I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to hang around. When the bike started to move, he headed the other direction. When I checked my mirror, I saw mama standing in the road looking at us. She wasn't happy that we scared her boy. Good thing we moved on.

Right after the bears we came across this guy standing by the side of the road. Did not stop for a closer look. My wife got this shot as we went by.

Awesome riding in Yellowstone.

Lake McDonald in Glacier Park. There is now way that the photo can do the view justice. It really is something that you need to go see for yourself.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Flathead Lake in Montana. This is one big lake. The ride on the eastern shore was great.

Caught up with a couple Harley riders along the Clark Fork river. Not really a lot of fun being behind their noise.

Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho.

At Priest Lake in the Idaho panhandle.

Lake Coeur d'Alene Idaho. If you ever get the chance to ride Hwy 97 along the eastern shore, I highly recommend it. It's a fantastic ride.

Somewhere in Washington. Considering how windy it was when we went through there, I can see why they wanted the windmills.

Hells Canyon in Idaho. I don't mind the twisties, but with the rock wall on my left and the vertical drop to the water on my right, this road tended to make us a bit nervous.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:57 pm

By the pictures and your words, I'd say a good time was had by you and your wife. Thanks for sharing your trip and photos with the group!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:13 am

Love the pretty photos, but a couple I could pass by - especially the bears and the bison. :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:58 pm

That's the whole point of being out in nature - actually seeing nature. Just don't be stupid (like getting into the face of a bison for a "selfie") and you'll be fine.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”