93 or 83 route advice in Montana

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

93 or 83 route advice in Montana

Postby Solina Dave » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm planning a trip from the Toronto area, west through part of Montana. Maybe someone who lives out that way or has ridden out there can advise me as to which route would be best regarding mainly road condition (potholes etc.) and interesting sights.
South of Kalispell one is faced with two basic options heading south. One is Hwy.93 and the other is Hwy.83 both terminating in Missoula. 93 looks busier than 83. I prefer, not too busy, but I don't want to be caught on 83 and find it to be a hard ride. Any advice would be welcome.
Also, when crossing the mountains, east to west, would you recommend riding on Going-To-The-Sun Rd. or sticking to Hwy.2 from Browning to West Glacier? I would imagine the ride in either case would be spectacular, but do you think that the difference would be sufficient enough to warrant Going-To-The-Sun?

Thanks to everyone for any help.....................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Iaustin
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

Re: 93 or 83 route advice in Montana

Postby Iaustin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:05 pm

I would think hiway to the sun would be my choice ,been a long time since on the road but am planning a trip thru there one day

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 pm

If staying the night in the Kalispell/West Glacier/Glacier NP area, then I would take 89 out of Browning to 49 and take that down to 2 (very scenic and quite tight/twisty with a few rough spots) and then west on 2. - https://goo.gl/maps/Q3hzv
That way you can enter the park and ride Going-To-The-Sun Rd both ways! (IMHO best ridden west to east!)
89 south is a very good road and not as busy as 93!

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:44 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:If staying the night in the Kalispell/West Glacier/Glacier NP area, then I would take 89 out of Browning to 49 and take that down to 2 (very scenic and quite tight/twisty with a few rough spots) and then west on 2. - https://goo.gl/maps/Q3hzv
That way you can enter the park and ride Going-To-The-Sun Rd both ways! (IMHO best ridden west to east!)
89 south is a very good road and not as busy as 93!

Thanks Dusty,
I think my plan is to take 89 from Great Falls up to St.Mary, and Go-To-The-Sun from there to West Glacier. Then I'll make my way south to Somers. Like you say west to east may be a good run, but I'm sure it'll be breathtaking either way. 93 looked busy south from Somers, and I was wondering about the condition of 83, to the east side of Flathead Lake, and south to Missoula. I was told it was a good road so I think I'll try it and take 12 west from Lolo, just south of Missoula. I'll make a big loop south on 95, move over to 55, and go south to Boise. Then I'll take 21 up to Stanley and 75 south to 20 and Craters of the Moon. Then I'm considering another ride through Utah, as long as it doesn't look too hot. Good luck!! It'll be mid September by then anyway. Then I'm comin' back home through Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota (spend time in the Black Hills) etc.
It's a pretty ambitious trip, and I'm not getting any younger, so this could be my last "kick at the can" as far as long rides go. I've been to the Canadian west, the California coast, and Yellowstone on a honeymoon camp out. It's been 35 years since I was out this way last. It's been life changing!
Thanks again for your interest Dusty, and thanks to everyone else for their advice..................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:30 am

Well then, I'd detour along Hwy 2 when you get to Browning and take 49 back up to 89, as it is more scenic than continuing along 89 from Browning!
Where are you headed from Craters of the Moon?
Is the trip down into UT a separate trip altogether, or a part of this one?

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:Well then, I'd detour along Hwy 2 when you get to Browning and take 49 back up to 89, as it is more scenic than continuing along 89 from Browning!
Where are you headed from Craters of the Moon?
Is the trip down into UT a separate trip altogether, or a part of this one?

"Variety is the spice of life", so to try and maintain a high degree of spontaneity, I'll probably make several detours along the way. If Utah becomes a part of the equation, it will happen now. I'll probably take I 15 south from Arco, bypass Salt Lake City on I 84/40 to Provoa, then stay south to Cedar City. I'll go east on 14, and north on 89 to 12, through Dixie NF and east through Grand Staircase Escalante to 95. Then south across the Colorado River and Glen Canyon to 191, and north to Arches, with a detour on 313 into Canyonlands NP. A detour is possible at Salt Lake to catch the Bonneville Salt Flats mystique, and set a new land speed record. I do ride a '78 GL1000 you know!!
From Arches north-east to Devil's Tower to see the gophers, Black Hills, and back home through South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, and across at Sault Ste. Marie. Whew!!!
Attachments
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:19 am

Make sure you stop and fill up in Lolo, as there is nothing but wilderness and fast sweepers along US 12 until you get to Dale's, just east of Kamiah, ID !!

You staying in motels, or camping?

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks for that. I do see a Conoco on 13 just after you cross the north bridge into Kooskia, so that'll save a bit of a detour. I'm going south anyway.
Love wilderness, and the road seems good. It'll probably be motels on this trip. My camping days are pretty well numbered.
Have you got anything planned this year?
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Just 3, or 4 'weekenders' with my camper. One in Kingston for my riding group's National Rally, then in northern MI the weekend after, then another one in PA, another northern MI again and one in southern IL is all for this year, as I just moved from Beaverton, down to Alvinston, so between organizing things and a shop here and one of my twin daughters getting married in Sept, this year is pretty well a bust. :roll:

Wait til next year! ;)

I have an idea for ya, if you like twisty roads and basically goes along/near the basic routes yer thinking ... a little more remote, more scenic .... if you are interested in seeing them. (?)

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks anyway, but I think that it's pretty well under control now. I'm just going to go as planned and maybe consult with some of the locals along the way. I'll let you know how it went when I get back. Have a good time in your travels, and thanks for your interest.

"Assume Nothing"

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”