Hocking Hills Ohio

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Hocking Hills Ohio

Postby nitefuzz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:18 pm

First week of September 2015, nine of us will be riding everything we can for seven days in Hocking Hills, Ohio. Looking forward to a great time. Does anyone have any suggestions on some must ride routes while we are there.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Hocking Hills Ohio

Postby redial » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Somewhere on this site, WingAdmin did a video of his ride to this place. My wife was taken there by friends, and she has some happy memories of the place. As I intend to go there on a next (?) trip, I am interested in what you discover. Have a happy ride.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:15 pm

We have gone there so many times, this place is truly a biker's paradise. We stay in a cabin, there are a ton of outfits that own and rent out very nice cabins in the area - complete with kitchens, hot tubs, etc. If you do the same, make sure that the cabin is motorcycle-accessible. The last one we stayed at was not, I had to ride my wife's bike in and out of it, as she was not capable of making the tight turns on the steep gravel/dirt roads leading to the cabin - and missing one of the turns meant plummeting down a steep forested hillside.

That said, the quality of the roads (asphalt wise) is spectacular, and you will find nothing but hills, twists, turns and gorgeous scenery. There is limited traffic, so you won't be stuck in lines of cars or bikes.

We typically set the GPS on the bike to "home" while at the cabin, then go off riding aimlessly, intentionally getting lost and taking every random road that looks interesting. We've done this for years and still haven't come close to seeing them all. When we've had enough, we hit "Home" on the GPS and it takes us back to our cabin.

Apart from riding, there's tons to do and see - there are a large number of caves and jaw-dropping caverns to tour - most are a short walk from the road, with ample parking, and it's all part of the national park system, so they're all free.

If you like canoeing or kayaking, check out the Hocking Canoe Livery, where you can rent one: they drive you up river several miles and drop you off, and you can paddle (or just drift) back to where you started.

I almost hesitate telling people about the hidden gem that is Hocking Hills, because I don't want it to be spoiled and overrun with tourists! :)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:28 pm

I almost hesitate telling people about the hidden gem that is Hocking Hills, because I don't want it to be spoiled and overrun with tourists!

And what is wrong with us tourists? Without us, with all our cash, there would be less minimum wagers working for minimum wages, looking for a cheap deal :shock:

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”