2015 summer bike ride

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

2015 summer bike ride

Postby Tepcro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 am

I and my wife just got back from a trip to and around Colorado.
If you go from Arizona like we did, I recomend that you forgo seeing the 4 corners monument. (my bike bottomed out several times in the parking lot potholes)
We stopped in Cortez Colorado the 1st night and found a really good place to eat Tequillas Mexican Restaurant.
The next day we traveled to Durango and got some pics of the train pulling out.
We visited the fish hatchery next to the Annimas River which has rafting trips this time of year.
We next stopped in Silverton, we didn't eat lunch there insead we had a picnic lunch fron the grocery dtore and went to a nearby campground.
That day we traveled thru Ouray and stayed the night in Montrose. (Too many miles for 1 day but the hotels were like 300.00 a night)
In Montrose be sure to eat at Teds Steakhouse, the food and service was great!!!
The 3rd day we headed East toward Gunnison but before we got there a wild hare got me to turn off on 149 towards Lake City and Creede, we stayed the night in South Fork at a place called the South Fork Lodge and Cabins. Mike was a great guy and while the cabin was small and a bit quaint it was very comfortable.
we then traveled theu Pagosa Springs and to Santa Fe then Albuquerque and back to home.
5 days and too much riding!
Man am I tired, but it's a good tired!!!

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: 2015 summer bike ride

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Good tired! I've been there myself a few times. I live up near Toronto, in the Great White North, so I don't think that it gets quite as hot up here as it would down your way, but it's been in the mid thirties (celcius), forty with the humidity. That's about 95 to 105 degrees fahrenheit. It gets like that, even up here, for a couple of weeks, or even a month every summer.
I'm taking a ride, near the end of August, out to Montana and Idaho, and all points in between. I was originally planning on making the full tour and shooting down into Utah and Colorado, but I think that might tend to leave me somewhat beyond, "good tired", so I've cut it back.
Your ride looks to be about a thousand miles. I'll bet it was beautiful. I've been down there, but not for a long time. Was it hot in the desert between Albuquerque and Cortez? I guess it would be a little bit nicer when you got into the mountains and forests in Colorado and back down to Santa Fe. I'm glad you and your wife had a real good trip. I hope that you have many more.
I see that your a relatively new member, so welcome, and keep the stories about your travels coming. They get me goin'! Ride safe, and watch out for the hare.....................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:57 am

Hello Tepcro,
Perhaps you needed to have some "hare of the dog" to keep you going ;) I enjoyed your trip narrative, as I have been to some of them, and could relate to your trip. Keep smiling, and dodging dogs and hares!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 am

Sounds like you and your wife had a great trip. Good for you guys and coming home tired is not always a bad thing!

I have learned that when traveling with the wife to limit a days travel to 350 or less miles, depending on how much sightseeing we want to do. Sometimes it is best to just go to an area and then take a few day rides from there rather than try to see it all in one trip.

I once did a Four Corners ride(not the place but the four corners of the USA) and was constantly frustrated because I did not always have enough time to sightsee along the way. I would like to do the trip again and instead of having 21 days for the certified ride, and take 4 or 5 weeks to do the ride. And then I would only see a smidgen of what is available.

I wish you and your wife many more hours of fun and enjoyable rides!

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”