So cal to Jamestown tenn

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Rocketman1709
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500se

So cal to Jamestown tenn

Postby Rocketman1709 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:55 am

Greetings
I live in so cal and was thinking of riding my wing to Jamestown tenn. I have only two weeks total for the round trip and visit time. I thought of taking interstate 40. This would be my first cross country trip. Can someone shed some light when would be the best time of the year to do a trip like this and is 700 to 800 miles a day possible.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: So cal to Jamestown tenn

Postby harvey01 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:14 am

700 miles in a day is very doable! The question is how does your body feel after the second day? Do you then need the rest of the week to recover.

How many miles is your average ride in a day now? How much can you increase this and still be comfortable? I would suggest a couple of weekends with 500 plus miles per day to see how it works for you before starting out across country.

Remember there may be severe heat in the southwest portion of the US. Stay Hydrated! I would advise reading about hydration and food and water intake from sites like the Iron Butt Association. You don't have to do the big miles to benefit from their experience. What is the best time to avoid the heat may not be the best time to be in TN. You sort of have to pick what looks the best and go ride. I suspect mid September to mid October would be good. But that is in Hurricane season. back in 2003, right after a hurricane ripped through VA in early October, I did a cross country trip and while up north had some cold weather and when down south on the return trip it was just a little warm

The Interstate highway system is the way to go if speed is the most important part. Personally I would pick a road like US Rt 50 and follow it to about the Mississippi and then take some backroads to Jamestown. That way you see more and get closer to the real US than just cruising down the interstate.

Also be aware that 700-800 miles a day does take some discipline, you have to minimize time at gas stops, short lunches and push on when you might like to sit back in air conditioning and relax for a few hours.

Please contact me (PM) if you wish to discuss further and I hope you enjoy your trip.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Rocketman1709

Postby Rocketman1709 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks Harvey for the insight, let me chew on those thoughts and I'll get back with you

Thanks again
Roy

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:58 am

I wouldn't make that trip in July or August. Early June is good and September should be fine also. Here in mid America the rainy season starts mid September though. If you really plan on 700 to 800 miles a day you will have to stay on the interstate. You will never make that mileage on secondary roads.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Rocketman1709

Postby Rocketman1709 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks so much for the insight :D

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”