Coalinga to Kings City, CA

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Semephore
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A aspencade

Coalinga to Kings City, CA

Postby Semephore » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello all, I was surprised to see that no one here had posted about the 198/33 yet so I thought I would remedy that right now. This road is a hidden gem along the west edge of California's central valley, the grape capitol of the world! The best bit starts as you leave west out of the city of Coalinga. We live near Lemoore Naval Air Station so this road is close and makes for a great weekend ride, so my young son and I loaded the Goldwing to take some pics.
Coalinga itself is a quirky little town to see.

This old restaurant, about half way up, has been closed for a while but still a nice backdrop for pictures.

Some random beauty in the middle of nowhere.

That's mine.

Friendly faces.

It is what it is!

So if you are in the area, or will be passing through the I-5 near Nacamiento, this is 52 miles of some of the smoothest switchback riding to be had in southern California. Enjoy!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Coalinga to Kings City, CA

Postby dingdong » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:45 am

Thank you for the pics. I agree, great riding area... except..... My wife and I were there in June. East on 198 going into Sequoia Natl Park there are some switchbacks that are the most severe and steep that I have ever experienced. Made me decide that I don't like switchbacks very much.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Semephore
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A aspencade

Re: Coalinga to Kings City, CA

Postby Semephore » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:04 am

This side of the 198 is on the west end of the valley, but I agree some of the ascending 180 degree turns in the sequoia's are a bit sketchy, especially with a passenger.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”