Riding In Southwestern Ontario

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Riding In Southwestern Ontario

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:06 pm

I probably should be using the Trip info. section, but I thought that this time I'd maybe keep it a little less formal, and a little more from the heart,if you know what I mean. After all, motorcycling is a very passionate thing, at least to me it is, and also I'll be riding solo for what it's worth.
First of all let me say that at the current exchange rate of 71 cents on the dollar, it's highly unlikely that that this boy will be travelling stateside this year. I rode down there earlier this year, and had a great time. What a beautiful country. But the money end of it sucked. This year I'm staying on this side of the line.
I live in Solina which is basically in the Oshawa, Ontario area, and I've traveled many miles in Ontario. But to avoid having to cross the busy greater metropolitan Toronto area I haven't, for quite some time now, ridden southwestern Ontario that much.
Anyone who lives out that way, or has ridden out that way, might be able to pass on some information regarding likely roads and areas to travel. I'd be looking at at few days, to maybe a week or longer, depending on how much fun I'm having. A route with perfect paved roads, no cars or traffic, and no built-up areas, and perfect weather, and good restaurants, essentially boxed in by Lake Erie, Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, and east to Orillia, and south to my place, would be good. Is that asking too much?
Give it some thought. I won't be going for a while, for obvious reasons, but planning keeps my mind active, and enthused. I like to plan my play, so I can play my plan. :roll:

Thanks everyone, and have a real Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!!...........................................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Riding In Southwestern Ontario

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:17 pm

No traffic? .... in Ontario? :D

Do you prefer to travel in a clockwise, or anti-clockwise direction? Camping or motels?

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks Dusty, here we are again. I remember you saying that you were moving from Beaverton down that way to Alvinston, so to be honest I wasn't too surprised to hear from you. I hope that's working out well for you. I love that country with its miles of open farmland. Long and free rides. Good therapy.
I used some of your suggestions on my ride out west this year, but as it turned out the trip was shortened a bit when I decided to turn south at New Town,ND and head to South Dakota and the Black Hills, and the Badlands etc. What a great ride, but hot. Four days straight over 100ºF. Stopped off at Devil's Tower. The fires in Montana and Idaho forced the change in plans. At one point I heard that the largest fire in the nation was 1/2 a mile of the highway through the Lolo pass, so I decided to put it off until next time. One guy told me that they'd been smelling smoke coming from the west, in eastern North Dakota.
I think that this coming season I'll take a lot of 1 and 2 day rides, and probably a couple of slightly longer rides. The one I'm thinking about here will be motels all the way, and I'll keep it counter-clockwise to keep the lakes on my right, and take numerous tours inland from that. Thanks for your interest Dusty.

Come on spring..............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:45 pm

I'll work out something for you over the next week or so, Dave, seeing as it's a busy time of year with family etc. Have to run up to Bowmanville and Pontypool for a few days, spending Christmas with a couple of my daughters, but I'll get back to you and this thread! ;)

Until then, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :!:

Dusty

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks Dusty. I appreciate that. If the weather down there in the banana belt is even close to what we've got, and will get, I'm sure you can see that there's no rush.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year also, to you and your family.

..........Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:22 am

Here's something I came up with, having ridden 95% of these roads.
Excellent swimming (with motorcycle only parking) at Port Stanley.
This will give you something to research over the winter, as there are lots of smaller falls, museums, photo ops etc! ;)

It's in 7 parts ....

1st leg - https://goo.gl/maps/ZU9JqqPNq9S2

2nd leg - https://goo.gl/maps/pdMrxwab29E2

3rd leg - https://goo.gl/maps/S62kvePzsb22

4th leg - https://goo.gl/maps/csVJbrt4PJT2

5th leg - https://goo.gl/maps/qyn1jWHNinr

6th leg - https://goo.gl/maps/6BRLtadYjUA2

7th leg - https://goo.gl/maps/KSXoYPJZPVM2

Dusty

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:44 am

(I'm going to bump this over to the Trips section)

My experience with Southwestern Ontario riding is that it is...rather boring. Boring in that everything is so flat. Those receding glaciers really scraped everything flat. I have no great love of riding in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) simply due to the horrendous, continuous traffic, but if you can fight your way through it, there are far nicer riding roads in Northern Ontario, and some great scenery and roads.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:39 am

Remember to ride the Elora Gorge, and the roads around Elora. They are not so boring.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:01 pm

themainviking wrote:Remember to ride the Elora Gorge, and the roads around Elora. They are not so boring.

Thanks for that Viking. I've travelled that area before. It's beautiful around there. I'll put that on my list.
I've ridden around Ontario for nearly 40 years and have seen many places, many times. But the southwestern area, only a couple of times, because of the nasty traffic conditions and congestion just to get there from my place. It's too bad because I really like that wide open feeling. It's almost prairie-like. I just rode the Dakotas last August, it was huge. It keeps me humble. I like riding everywhere, but I like to mix it up if I can.
I'm thinking about another ride up 17 on the Ottawa River, and through North Bay. I was born in Sudbury. Maybe I'll see you on the road.

Thanks again...................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Solina Dave wrote:Maybe I'll see you on the road.

Thanks again...................................Dave

If it is spring, summer or fall, and the salt and snow is gone - there is a really good possibility.

ImageImage

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:45 pm

If you take a look at the route I provided Dave, you'll notice I have him riding by not only Elora, but also the Forks of the Credit.
The Blue Mountains are part of the Niagara Escarpment and are home to many ski hills. The area between Orangeville and Newmarket along Hwy 9 is on the Oak Ridges Moraine (the headwaters of many large rivers is southern Ontario) is also quite hilly

While the SW may be flat and rather 'featureless' to some (I once compared the area around my new place as being similar to SW Kansas, but with way more trees!), a lot of people say that about the Prairies, yet they have their own beauty.

The ride along the St Clair River Pkwy is really very nice, dotted with lots of nice little riverside parks (perfect for taking a break/having lunch), small towns and museums and great views. Not often do you get to ride alongside of a Great Lakes Iron Ore ship! ( the colour of the waters of both Lake Huron and the St Clair river, are really quite stunning if you've never seen them before!)

The ride from Fort Erie to Niagara on The Lake, along the Niagara Pkwy, for the most part is low on traffic and high on scenery!

An engineering marvel is the Big Chute Marine Railway (part of the Trent/Severn Waterway), that I have him visiting on the way over to Georgian Bay.
I also have him riding around the high traffic volume areas/roads

There will be enough to make an interesting ride for either 4 - 5 days, or a couple of weekends

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:24 pm

The area around the Forks of the Credit is spectacular for riding (I used to live about 10 miles from there), but stay away from there on the weekends - everyone and their brother goes for a drive through there, and you end up with traffic jams - not exactly what you're looking for on a nice weekend ride.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:30 am

You are correct. That is beautiful country with great roads around the Forks. Some other good rides you may have taken, having lived nearby, would be to the north of there, and the 8th line (Rd.1) from Hwy.27 just north of Bond Head, west to Hwy.10 north of Orangeville, through the Hockley Valley.
Also just north of Shelburne there's two beautiful runs. One is north from Shelburne on Durham Rd.124, and then east on River Rd. from Hornings Mills through Terra Nova to Hwy.18. The other, is also north from Shelburne on Hwy.10, then east from Corbetton on Rd.21 through Honeywood to Lisle, and CFB Borden.(aka Camp Borden.)
That's just a couple of beauties, and there's many more, all the way north to the Collingwood area. Something to consider for next year.

Did I say, "come on spring" before?.......................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:57 am

Dave, if you are willing to come just a little bit more north, well, a hundred clicks more north than Orillia, we have some of the most gorgeous riding rodes that there are. Specially if you like twisties. From Huntsville to Sprucedale, on the west side of the four lane, are all the back roads like #2, #141, #518, #3. The whole wedge of country between highway 11 and hwy 69 is filled with these backroads. All in good condition and almost all paved. I get down there at least twice a year for a twisty run. But then, the starting point is only a hundred Kms from my home.

ImageImage

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:56 am

Good morning Viking, and thanks for those suggestions. Some I know, and some I haven't been on yet. I've ridden up that way many times over the years. You could live to be a hundred and never see it all.
Rd.#2 from Huntsville to Sprucedale I haven't tried yet, and I've often been tempted, as I rode by, to leave Hwy.11 just south of Huntsville, and go west on Rd.#3 to Rosseau at Hwy.141. They'll both have to go on the list for 2016.
A real nice road, if you make it down that way sometime, is Swords Rd., just about 15 kms. west of Rosseau on Hwy.141. It goes north through Swords to Hwy.518 at Orville, and then you can take 518 east through Sprucedale and on to Hwy.11. That's a nice highway, as you know.
I don't mind a long ride, or any ride for that matter, but I find that I have to cover a lot of area that I've already seen many times just to get to new areas. Also, the farther north you go the fewer suitable riding roads you have to choose from, because of less development, and climate conditions also hampering that development. A lot of gravel, and not a lot of pavement off the beaten path.
Thanks again Viking. I'll ride those road suggestions for sure..........................................Dave

PS.........I forgot to mention that I like Hoagie's Diner.
"Assume Nothing"

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:18 pm

Solina Dave wrote:PS.........I forgot to mention that I like Hoagie's Diner.

Depending on time of day, and who works there today or another day, they can be good and they can be awful. I have had some really terrible meals there and some really good ones. That is pretty much standard, I think, for greasy spoons, and we have a lot of them here in this town. Ivan's, Burger World (two of them), Auntee Jane's Too, Hoagies. These are all basically chip stands that have moved inside in order to operate year round. My favorite food. Love french fries. And I do not believe I ever met a bad one. If you come through here and have planned in advance, I would love to join you at any one of these places. Fine dining is what is in short supply in this town.

ImageImage

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Dusty Boots wrote, "This will give you something to research over the winter. It's in 7 parts."

You're right there Dusty. Actually those routes bring back a lot of memories. At one time or another, it seems I've ridden over all these roads before. It's probably time to do it again.
I appreciate your interest in providing me with very good route to follow. It covers an excellent ride around the perimeter of southwestern Ontario, and I'm amazed that you got it all together in just over 16 hours. It would have taken me a lot longer than that, so thanks again.
Like I said, I've traveled that route before, and I'm thinking that I'd like to mix it up a bit with a bit of a zig-zag ride to various areas more inland between Lambton Shore, and south to Rondeau Park on Lake Erie. That's nice riding also, between St.Catherines and Stoney Creek on the Ridge Road, and through the vineyards. You know, a person could almost spend their entire life traveling around Ontario, and not see half of it. It's a beautiful thing!

Thanks again Dusty, and I hope you had a good Christmas..........................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:49 am

Heck ... seeing as I have ridden most of it, I had the route for ya inside an hour once I started in on it, Dave. Just got busy doing other things before I posted it.
You're right about a lot of roads to ride here. That's why towards the end of the season when the weather becomes so unpredictable, I like to explore all the local roads within a couple hours ride of me, including gravel roads, as they are not so dusty then. ;)

Back at ya for a Happy New Year!

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:44 am

DB

You are on the other side of TO but you are most welcome to join us , St Catharines Garden City Riders, for our monthly breakfasts and/or weekly rides.(bring your own hoe)

There are other chapters of the GWTA closer to you.

http://www.gwta.org

If you are going check out the GWTA Booth - January Motorcycle Supershow

2016 North American International Motorcycle Supershow"​​​
Date/Location: January 8 to 10, 2016 / International Centre, 6900 Airport Rd Mississauga.

Our midwinter breakfast is Jan 16 in St Catharines.

Ed

fixdent
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby fixdent » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:12 pm

Here is my Northern Ontario trip planned for end of June 2016. I just purchased a new Leesure Lite camper and anxiously waiting to use it.

https://goo.gl/maps/V6MX2VB3zUU2

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

briand53
Motorcycle: 1986 1200GL A

Postby briand53 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:23 am

There are great roads north of Toronto that are great riding (I live near Hockley Valley as an example). Problem is this will be a slower passage but far more beauty and 100x safer then Toronto roads. As for me I always travel north of TO unless it's Friday13,th in Port Dover or heading state side. Stateside visits are not cheep with our dollar running around 74 cents on the US dollar.
If you would like to see some good roads north of TO I'll show you some on this section of your trip.
Stay Warm till next season! (-15C now) Brian

delly
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing GL1500

Postby delly » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Don't forget the farming community of Waterloo Region. Good old home cooking in restaurants in Milbank and Wellesley.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks Delly. That's what I'm looking for. I've been out that way before, over the years, but usually just passing through it seems. This time I think I'll spend a bit more time exploring the area. I like the quieter, more laid-back feel of the country, and the country roads, through there. Nice farms in the Mennonite areas. I'll put those two towns you mentioned for home-cooking on my list, not that I really eat all that much. :lol:
I'm always riding solo, so my explorations are quite varied, and quite spontaneous in nature. I'm not much for staying in one place for too long, so I'm not really into visiting museums, or parks, or amusement areas. I'm reluctant to admit it, but I'm not really into motorcycle get-togethers or group rides to be honest. I like to stop briefly, examine some interesting site, and then move on, just relaxing into the day. I see you live in Elmira. Nice place. You probably know that area quite well, so if you happen to think of anything else that might be interesting, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks again Delly...............Come on spring................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

delly
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing GL1500

Postby delly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 am

I love riding through this part of the country, Ontario's only, still in use covered bridge in West Montrose, horse drawn farm equipment working the fields in the Wallenstein area, if you are a market person, (which I am not) The St. Jacobs Market. The great buffet at The Crossroads in Elmira, brunch buffet on weekends. And much more. (I know you don't eat much somebody might want to). I know that most riders think this area is very boring because of the long straight roads and flat country side but it is home to me and I love it.
Enjoy the area if you get here.

Delly

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks once again Delly. I went to the market in St.Jacobs many years ago. It was my one and only time to go there. It was all right, but once was enough. Too busy and crowded for me. Thanks for the names of those other places. That's just what I'm looking for. They're also going on the list.
I love riding, and I've ridden a lot. Long straight roads, windy roads, doesn't matter, bring it on. The thing that I often like about a long straight road, is that you may see something interesting off in the distance, for instance a beautiful farm house, or a barn, or animals in a field, and the anticipation of seeing it up close builds as you get closer, and closer. A level of excitement I guess. On a windy road, everything's a surprise. So they're both good!

.................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”