A GoldwingDocs Gathering?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links

Would you be interested in a GoldwingDocs Gathering?

I'd love to come, just tell me where and when!
14%
It would depend on how far away it was
31%
Not really interested, thanks
0%
A weekend would be great
22%
A week long gathering would be best
4%
I love to camp, that would be ideal
10%
I'm not big on camping, but motels are fine with me
18%

Total votes: 451

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

A GoldwingDocs Gathering?

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:09 pm

I named this forum "Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings", originally thinking that it would contain plans and reports of exactly those three things.

It has been quite successful, with lots of collaborative help planning trips, and some amazing, extensive reports of some amazing trips.

What has been completely absent are discussions of gatherings.

Gatherings are typically hard to manage, being that this website caters to Goldwing owners all over the world. Even just focusing on North American riders, we have people who are many thousands of miles away from one another.

So what does everyone think? Should we try a gathering? Even if it's just a weekend get-together, a friendly meet-up and ride? If so, does anyone have a suggestion as to where it should occur? How about where we would stay? Answer the poll questions and we'll see if we can get a feel if people are interested or not.

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Re: A GoldwingDocs Gathering?

Postby alwims » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Heck anywhere will be a long ride for us as anything south of us is in Old Mexico, so I say just pick a spot and we'll see what happens.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:04 pm

Several of the other sites that I frequent have regional "Meet & Greets" that have gone over extremely well.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:36 pm

I hate to say it, but a Wing Ding would pretty much serve all the requirements. They will for sure have adequate attendance as to not be cancelled, they have numerous vendors to allow participants to buy just about anything they might want for their Goldwings and even not for their Goldwings, and that includes specials on tires, mounted while you wait. They conduct them in large enough places that a couple hundred GoldwingDocs members would not even be a drop in the bucket, and although, for non GWRRA members (and even for a lot of GWRRA members) Wing Dings are not a lot of fun, being quite political, they do serve their purpose of allowing Goldwing owners to congregate in one place. A campground within a hundred miles of a Wing Ding with motels close by could do the trick. AND finally, they have Wing Dings every year, and they move them around the country. Just saying. I would not attend another Wing Ding unless it had this sort of purpose wrapped into it. But if it did, I would attend. The next Wing Ding will be in Billings Montana from Sep 1-4, 2016. Close enough to the border to get some of us Canucks there.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:47 pm

last time I saw you and first time I met you ( adm ) was at wing ding in fort wayne, in. after the great storm. while I have nothing against wing ding I don't think wingstock 1should be part of it and glad that other wing m&g's that I've been to were not. I plan on doing a couple IBA rides next year and as long as your m&g isn't on the same date i'll be there
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:37 pm

A lot of places come to mind but I really don't know where the members live so it is hard to base an answer on that. The Hocking Hills of Ohio have a lot of great riding, and you could base in St. Clairsville. A number of events have happened in WV at locations like Marlington, the Canaan Valley Resort and even out of some other towns such as Sumerville, Elkins, Beckley, even Lewistown could be interesting.

Further east you have a number of great locations in southwest VA--Wise, Tazewell, Natural Bridge, or even Abington or Marion.

Pennsylvania is also a great location, starting with Metamorus in ne PA. Actually PA is full of great locations and if you wanted to tie it to history there is Gettysburg, with Antietam, Sharpsburg, and Harpers Ferry close by just to name some. The area around Ohiophyle is also good riding with places to see.

Nashville, Indiana is an interesting place to visit and for basketball fans there is French Lick just a fun ride away.

Galena, Illinois is a great location and not to far from the Field of Dreams! And since we are in the Midwest there is also Sault St Marie, MI and perhaps a Canadian ride.

My first suggestion is to get a realistic idea how many would attend if this was held on such and such dates. This allows you to pick a motel/campground large enough to accommodate everyone. I realize asking who will come regardless of location is risky, but you don't want to plan for 50 and have 200 show up.

I will be honest, most of the locations I have listed are places I have attended some form of get together and actually helped plan some of them. I am willing to try to help with the planning if desired.

Personally I would not try to make this a part of something like Wing Ding or Americade. I think
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Of course to help include those of us that are west of the Mississippi, somewhere more central US would be better.
Somewhere like Kansas City or St Louis area are still a 9 hour ride for me.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 am

I would be up for with in 500-1000 miles of Oklahoma City IF our money worked that week, SSI SUCKS! I figure I can do 1000 in 24 , a night to rest, meet/greet/party, a night to rest and home again, all told a solid 3 day weekend worth of time for me.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:09 am

you really don't want to do an iron butt ride to get to a M&G uncle fester, once you get there all you want to do is go get some sleep. take it from a guy that's done a couple IBA ride. one of next years IBA rides I'm doing is around lake Michigan and I think it starts in k-zoo, when we finish its get some sleep in k-zoo or ride another two and a half hours home. staying in k-zoo and getting some sleep sound better every time I think about it but it depends on how early we finish also
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

dakbutler
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Deluxe

Postby dakbutler » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:11 am

I'm unlikely to be able to ride over from the UK, but there's the possibility of making it part of a bigger holiday - as long as we could come in a hire car!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:47 am

SUGGESTIONS:
1.) More than likely this will attract a few for the first M&G's. Since many can't ride long distance, for various reasons, maybe 2 to 4 M&G's can be held around the country at the same time with one being the main event. The local M&G's can shift a little to pull in other areas some can't reach. If this is a weekend event really long distance gatherings are OUT of the question for most.

2.) One major issue I've read in other sites on M&G's is that folks talk about are the 'group rides'. M&G are for people meeting people and "IF" a group ride happens all the better. [see #3]

3.) Not all areas of this country has spectacular scenery for rides but do have good local establishments to WALK around in. The old time settings are usually the quaintest and most sought after. (Where's Mayberry?)

4.) Bring something for auction. EH, I can pass on that since (that other site) has them and seems fun but takes WAY-way to long. So maybe barter or selling booth[s] like a flea market can be set up. That might even attract locals to meander around (I like this one!).

5.) Human contest games seem to be dying so unless some want to, go for it. But from my experience if one wins all the time others fade away and/or one or few have derogatory animosities against the one.

6.) CLICKS... I HATE little group CLICKS . It separates people, it excludes folks from others, it just begets too many negatives. Our local G2 group has that and even when it's brought up in there news letter, it does not stop. Somehow 'NIP that in the bud' and more people will be happy together.

I got the odd-ball idea rolling, ANY other ideas other than the usual's?

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:05 am

You could start out doing a regional gathering to get a feel for it rather than attempt a national. I personally do not do IBA type rides. Too much noise from the back seat. Whatever the majority decides though I would try to attend. Good luck with this Mr. And Mrs. WingAdmin.

Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

RRArthur
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800A

Postby RRArthur » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:09 am

I did like the several meet ups around different regions. If dates were staggered those that want to ride distance could potentially go to multiple meet ups. As for a single location consider Arkansas. There is some fantastic riding, great scenery, and the state seems very motorcycle friendly. It's also located somewhat in the center of the US. My other suggestion would be Colorado for similar reasons. I would also like you to take into account those in the north where we have to mothball our bikes. I usually don't get mine out until late April at the earliest. This was a great suggestion it would be fun to meet others on the forum.

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

Postby captdecker » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:27 am

Hello
There are some of us that are still working and will need vac time to come. That being said , as Wing Ding is not in south east this year I 'am planning on going. A thought on timing how about Gathering so could come on way to or stop in on way from?

Z71ric
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
2008 Gl1800 Trike

Postby Z71ric » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:43 am

WingAdmin wrote:I named this forum "Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings", originally thinking that it would contain plans and reports of exactly those three things.

It has been quite successful, with lots of collaborative help planning trips, and some amazing, extensive reports of some amazing trips.

What has been completely absent are discussions of gatherings.

Gatherings are typically hard to manage, being that this website caters to Goldwing owners all over the world. Even just focusing on North American riders, we have people who are many thousands of miles away from one another.

So what does everyone think? Should we try a gathering? Even if it's just a weekend get-together, a friendly meet-up and ride? If so, does anyone have a suggestion as to where it should occur? How about where we would stay? Answer the poll questions and we'll see if we can get a feel if people are interested or not.

. I Would be Very interested in a gathering, Let's make it happen

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:46 am

it would be nice if it were off the main tourist route .a lot of cars rubber necking and bikes in with them can be a problem. a great meet would be everyone gets home safe to talk about it. ride threw Branson Mo. in the afternoon and you will understand what I am saying. I would like to see this meet happen.

Z71ric
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
2008 Gl1800 Trike

Postby Z71ric » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:48 am

Just name the place and when, I think it's Great idea. Let's do it!

dalyh@eircom.net
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby dalyh@eircom.net » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:52 am

Have it in Ireland and I'll be there!
Hugh
Happy New Year from Dublin

colemjo4
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby colemjo4 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:59 am

How about near Franklin NC. Wonderful motorcycle area, lots of places to stay ( DIBS on Chalet Inn of Dillsboro!!! Absolutley the BEST!!) Near Tail of the Dragon and about 9 zillion other great!!!! riding roads

ksdalet
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Lehman trike

Postby ksdalet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:48 am

I live in KS and have been to the East many times. I would prefer AR or west. A weekend event would allow time for travel to, have FUN, and travel back. Having two GoldwingDocs Gatherings, one in early summer and one in early fall would work. One could be more East and one more West. Then maybe in years to follow move it around. I am going to Billings in 2016 but mainly for the riding. (I go in, check out the vendors, and hit the rides). So one there could work for me. Our local GWRRA chapter has many GoldwingDocs members who would also enjoy this. We usually have 20 to 40 on our local rides and are always looking for something new and different. Having plenty of time to meet and visit is also a priority for me - I am a people person. Great idea, lot of work putting it together. Keep us all informed via the site and emails.

goldwingclueless
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1989 Voyager XII

Postby goldwingclueless » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:04 am

Before I was a Goldwing owner I had an older Kawasaki Voyager, I was and still am a member of the American Voyager Association. Every year they have a long weekend gathering in a different state with options for both camping and hotels that are close to the official gathering area. There usually is a BBQ with a local musical group hired to play one day or night, daily group tour rides, seminars on different topics ranging from new riding clothing, basic bike maintenance and technical how-to’s, riding skills games, light shows, a motorcycle parade through the town (if permitted) and much more. I personally believe it would be a worth a shot to have some kind of gathering for us – I would definitely attend.

JackyR
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Goldwing Level 2

Postby JackyR » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:05 am

I say make it 4 separate M&G's. One for each time zone and make it central in each time zone. Start with the ET in mid May, then Central mid June, Mountain mid July and Pacific mid August. Just throwing out my 2 cents worth. Or, run the above in reverse. Now, 4 cents worth!

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:50 am

I like the idea of a regional or time zone gathering. I think you will get better attendance and a weekend trip would work. As someone stated, many people still work or have limited resources, so a regional M&G would work for more people. I am considering going to Billings this year if all goes well. However, I am not wild about all the crowds and vendors trying to sell you stuff. I do like the idea of seminars and how to's.
Bill

yvanhoe
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800A Trike

Postby yvanhoe » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Very nice idea. I live in Quebec and I'm a member of Goldwing Quebec which has over 200 members. Last autumn as we do each year we organize a 4 days weekend of riding in New York, Vermont and Mass. states. In 2015, we were 26 Goldwings who put 1400 km on this ride. If you organize something in the NorthEastern states I'd definitely be tempted.

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:43 pm

I am in Florida.... Just saying.. Lol

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”