New to Goldwing

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
gmessina
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800
2001 VT1100C Sabre
1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD

New to Goldwing

Postby gmessina » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:35 am

Happy New Year to eveyone!!

I am new to the Goldwing, bought a 2006 GL1800 in November (big step up from my 1100 Sabre). Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I am planning to retire this coming summer. When that occurs I would like to make a trip from NW Louisiana to the Washington, D.C. area. How do I go about preparing myself and the bike for such a trip?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Jerry

Redman1
Motorcycle: 06 Goldwing

Re: New to Goldwing

Postby Redman1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Goldwing wont need much prep.change oil.check tire pressure.fill up and enjoy

gmessina
2001 VT1100C Sabre
1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD

Postby gmessina » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:57 pm

I am thinking I will need more prep than the bike :|

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:07 pm

yup.... find an empty parking lot anytime and anywhere you can, and practice, practice, practice. The more you practice the better you will be able to low speed control your bike and the better you will know how it reacts and handles. They are fantastic motorcycles, but like jet fighters, sometimes the pilots need to work on their skills. Have a lot of fun with it. Welcome to the forum and to the world of GL1800.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

gmessina
2001 VT1100C Sabre
1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD

Postby gmessina » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for the help

Jerry

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Got to agree with the above. Practice the low speed til you're comfortable with the bike.
Before you make a trip to D.C., try making a couple overnight trips. That way you won't be too far from home if you discover you forgot something you really need. Also make a list. Take about 1/2 the clothes you think you'll need but take clothes you can "layer up" in if it turns cold. A good rainsuit is a must.
Stopping somewheres if a shower comes up sounds good, but if you're 50 miles from "somewheres" when it starts, its not so good.
Also, if it turns cold a rainsuit over your layers of clothing and your coat will help keep you warm. My wife and I found out on the Bear Tooth highway.
Sun screen, gloves, meds, you'll get it. Your list won't be the same as everyone else's, but it's what you need.
My list includes tent and sleeping bag. If you stay in motels, you won't need them. Take a couple short trips before you take the big one.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

gmessina
2001 VT1100C Sabre
1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD

Postby gmessina » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks OldZX11Rider, taking shorter trips and trying to build up to all day riding and thenback to back all days was in my plans. To bad it is just to cold today (to cold for North Louisiana anway!) :o

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:16 am

I would have thought north Louisiana would have year round riding weather, long as it wasn't raining.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

sandy1man
Motorcycle: 2012 1800

Postby sandy1man » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:41 am

There are a lot of things you can do for yourself to get ready for this ride. The more riding you do, the better you will be with your bike. A couple of things I'd do: try to get someone to go along with you. I've riden a lot of miles by myself but having someone else along makes the ride less stresfull and you can also gage eachother as far as fatigue. A friend and I rode the 1000 mile Iron Butt not to long ago. My friend was a little more in shape than I and I have a few years on him so I made him stop more often. He later told me he appreciated that. I like random riding but on a long trip it's good to plan your rout and pick out some things to see along the way. try to keep the legs of your rout down to 400-500 miles a day. If you are 50+ like me you'll be tired after 500 miles unless you have seasoned yourself. It's 800 miles from where I live now to get home and I do that it one sitting with only gas and food stops and I have seasoned myself to do that but I am still tired when I get there. Fatigue can slip up on you so be familliar with the signs and be aware.

AS for the bike... If you do your own maintinace go over the bike and make sure everything is tight. An oil change, check fluids and good tires is about it. Or have your local machanic go over it for you. I did a ride out to the Blue Ridge Parkway last year and I put new tires on just before the trip. My son met us in Ga and rode with us the first day. He didn't check his tires and we spent a day and a half getting his bike back to town and having new tires put on... (I hope he doesn't read this).

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Oh yeah, a tire plug kit. I've only had to use them a couple time, one was a tube patching repair. It sucks to be broke down. Its worse when you can't do anything about it.

Short story. I was riding to Little Rock, Arkansas on I-40. Had a brand new rear tire and tube. My wife is riding with me and she was 6 or 8 months pregnant at the time.
While riding, everything was fine, but it was pretty hot when I stopped. Anyhow the bike started feeling "funny". Weaving around. I stopped and sure enough, there was a screw in the rear tire.
Right there on the side of the interstate, I pulled the rear wheel off the bike. The screw was about 3 inches long and there were several holes in that brand new tube.
Its hot, only a little breeze and no shade. Then an Arkansas state trooper parked maybe a hundred feet or so behind me. He just sat there and watched while I worked away. I was pi**ed he wouldn't park closer and offer my obviously pregnant wife a chance to sit in his air conditioned car.
I patched my tube (in several places) and got back on the highway. My patches weren't holding very good but I was able to go from gas station to gas station to air it up, all the way to Little Rock.
In Little Rock, I pulled the rear wheel again and put in a new tube.
That was back about 1983 or so. It was a bad situation but I was able to get back on the road. :D

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:44 pm

gmessina wrote:Happy New Year to eveyone!!

I am new to the Goldwing, bought a 2006 GL1800 in November (big step up from my 1100 Sabre). Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I am planning to retire this coming summer. When that occurs I would like to make a trip from NW Louisiana to the Washington, D.C. area. How do I go about preparing myself and the bike for such a trip?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Jerry

Jerry, Welcome to the website and welcome to the wonderful world of Gold Wings and touring by motorcycle. My wife and I started down this path many years ago and have been blessed with the opportunity to tour a good part of Canada and the USA. A couple thoughts on pretrip maintenance on the Wing. First, don't wait till the last minute to do this to the bike, you know when you will be leaving home and you should be able to predict how many miles the trip will be so if you change the oil every 4,000miles and the trip is 2500 miles just make sure you are within that window. Waiting till the last weekend can cause problems if everything does not go together correctly or you have difficulty such as with the air filter. Second, your owners/service manual gives a great description of what is needed and when it should be done, follow the manual.

The better physical condition you are in the easier the trip will be. Cardio conditioning is important. As stated above, riding is also a great conditioner plus you get comfortable with the bike. I am a great proponent of the " take some weekend trips" to get used to motorcycle travel, how long is too long to ride in a day and what should you take. And how do you pack it? Rain gear should be very easy to get to and try putting it on before the ride so you know what you are doing. Should the pants be put on before the rain jacket? If the pants are held up with suspenders the pants have to go on first.

Just because others may ride 1200 miles a day does not mean that is the only way to travel. There is a lot to see between NW Louisiana and Washington, DC. You don't have to pull out on the interstate and just go, for me the journey is just as important if not more so than the destination (exception is when granddaughters are at the destination). And for me that also includes the journey home. I realize that the more time spent travelling increases cost, rooms and meals, but I enjoy sightseeing.

Planning the trip and route are important, I like to use maps and computer software, but I very seldom plan my hotel/motel stops except for the destination. I like to start looking for a room around 400pm and to get into a room by 600pm. Rooms are usually available but start filling up after 600pm. I also like to get a motel with a restaurant within easy walking distance. Once I park the bike I like to leave it till morning. This works well for my wife and I. She normally rides her own bike now and we have a trailer to carry whatever she wants to take. The biggest advantage to this is being able to carry hot weather riding gear as well as cold weather gear. The Blue Ridge Parkway can have temps in the 50's in the morning and I have ridden in snow in Montana in July.

I do urge you to take a MSF type course on riding as part of your preparation. You need to do the actual riding course on the Wing. You might also look into your local GWRRA. Most local chapters have some very experienced riders who can help you with preparations and planning. And if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by private message or email.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:38 pm

gmessina wrote:I am thinking I will need more prep than the bike :|

The miles you are planning to ride on a 10 year old new to you Goldwing, I would comb it if I were you.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

gmessina
2001 VT1100C Sabre
1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD

Postby gmessina » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks to all for the great tips and information.

Jerry

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”