Riding The Coastline

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Riding The Coastline

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:48 am

Whenever a route is planned for a either a long ride, or a short ride, coastal roads almost always seem to take precedence over inland roads. It seems to me, that it's almost an automatic assumption, that if there's a road along a lake, river, or ocean, then that's the route that gets picked. Why is that? If you have the choice, which do you choose, and why?.............................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Riding The Coastline

Postby urbanmadness » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 am

ahhhhh.... I dream of the 101.

I think people choose coastal, or river roads because there is usually more to see and they are more of a challenge to ride.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:00 pm

I would rather ride the coastline however on a ride to Florida (Key West) we tried riding the west coast road and it took an entire day to ride 200 miles. We had to move over to the main highway. Way too slow and congested.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:42 pm

dingdong wrote:I would rather ride the coastline however on a ride to Florida (Key West) we tried riding the west coast road and it took an entire day to ride 200 miles. We had to move over to the main highway. Way too slow and congested.

Congestion, that's also what I find quite often Tom, and it's getting worse. I think that back in the day, the first places settled were on the coastline arrival points, and things just grew from that. Look at the US east coast, at least from Boston south. Look at the Gulf coast, the southern west coast, and the northern west coast, although not so much in the middle. That's where the bulk of the population is, and I find it too busy, and built up, from years of development, to attract me to ride there. Rivers and lakes, in a lot of cases, have been subjected to similar development, especially if they were accessible from the ocean. Sections of rivers and lakes, with a lot of cottage development are also somewhat congested, but in a much rider friendly way. It's a bit like "Old Home Week" through there.
I love to ride any coastline as long as I can ride, and not fight with traffic all the time. I'm just curious, with this posting, as to why it seems to be the default choice a lot of the time. "Let's go for a ride", followed by, "Ok! We can go down the coast!", instead of, "How 'bout a ride through the Napa Valley?", or, "How 'bout a ride over to the Blue Ridge?"

Just ignore me! :lol: ............Dave
"Assume Nothing"

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Given the choice between riding along the coast in VA or neighboring states or taking more inland roads I will opt for the roads in the mountains every time. But then I prefer curvy, twisty, roads with elevation changes. If I want flat and level then there is always the interstate.

I agree with the comment about congestion in the coastline cities and towns as most are tourist attractions also due to the ocean and beaches. However many rivers offer fun roads right next to them as you move away from the coasts, sometimes even with great river views.

Now the Pacific Coast Highway, the Cabot Trail around northern Nova Scotia and some other roads do offer great, fun rides and of course great views along the coast.

For me it is the fun of the road that counts the most.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Given a choice, my wife wants to go to the coast. We've been to the gulf coast several times in different states. And I'll admit I enjoyed it as much as she did.
For a long time, my first choice was the mountains in Colorado and on up to Yellowstone.
Last year I rode to New Mexico and a second trip into Texas. Now going back to Texas in April. Big Bend National Park. I'd like to make a side trip to Langtry. Visit Judge Roy Beans saloon and opry.
I reckon I'm a bit of a history buff. I've been to Deadwood just to go to the cemetery where Wild Bill and Calamity Jane currently reside.
Also been to Billy the Kids final resting spot in New Mexico and Sheriff Buford Pusser's house in Tennessee. Kind of stumbled upon that. Was working in the area.
I like the coastal routes but it's the country I love to see. :D.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

RLScott
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SEL
2012 V Star 1300 Tourer

Postby RLScott » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Solina Dave wrote:...coastal roads almost always seem to take precedence over inland roads. It seems to me, that it's almost an automatic assumption, that if there's a road along a lake, river, or ocean, then that's the route that gets picked. Why is that?...
For me the reason is simple. Most coastal and other waterfront roads follow the waters edge...hence, twisties. And bodies of water don't have trees blocking the view.

jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Postby jim mccarty » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Never ridden the coasts, east, west, or gulf. It'd be a fun trip though to be able to do all 3 on one trip.
Time & cost would be tough though.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:40 am

I remember watching a program on TV years ago about how man is naturally attracted to water. How we are kind of "hard wired" to be near water.
Water is essential to life. Fish can be caught in the water. Other animals come to water and can be killed for food.
It was an interesting program and it showed how the U.S. was settled mainly along water routes. Most all major cities are near water.
If we didn't need water, the country would probably be more evenly settled but the majority of the population is near the coasts.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Postby jim mccarty » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Never thought of it that way, but it makes good sense. All food needs water.

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:19 pm

My wife and I ride the Pacific Coast Hiway at least once a year, it is an awesome ride, however, we also enjoy riding in the mountains and desert and that's the great thing about riding in Oregon, you get just about any type of riding you desire.

Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”