A Ride Through Ontario

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

A Ride Through Ontario

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 am

Here's a really nice round-trip through a very scenic part of Ontario that some of you might be interested in riding. It's quite long, and either getting a very early start, and finishing well after dark, one might like to spread it out over a couple of days. Or, maybe even 3 days, if you're not in a hurry. I have no idea where you would be coming from, so I just started, and finished at the Hwy.401/Waverley Rd exit. in Bowmanville. There's a Tim Hortons 1 block north of the highway. I generally like to travel less congested areas so motel availability in certain sections might be sparse. You'd just have to plan your play, and play your plan.
I made 2 maps. One would be 465 kms. to Wesport, a very quaint and picturesque village with nice accommodations, Bed and Breakfast etc. And another map with a possible route back. That one's about 300 kms.
I've ridden these roads quite often through the years, and I hope that this might be of some help. You could always sample sections at your own discretion, depending on where you're coming from.

Come on spring......................................Dave

https://goo.gl/maps/AUmjfaEXoTz

https://goo.gl/maps/pTSmQh1gau72

"Assume Nothing"

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Re: A Ride Through Ontario

Postby pgfireman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:43 am

Great Ride Dave!

I live in Kingston and have relatives in Lakefield, so I have ridden most of the roads you have in your trip. My Brother in law rides a BMW and we love to take the 507 out of Buckhorn and head north, when you come down from Westport to Kingston the 10 is fantastic! For a switch take the Westport Road from the west end of Westport over to Godfrey, go south on 38 to the Desert Lake Road , follow to Bedford Road and go south to Sydenham. Local motorcyclists call this our Tail of the Dragon. Go after May though otherwise it is too sandy from the winter. I also ride a V Strom 650 there are loads of half dirt roads around us that I wont take my Wing on. We are lucky to live in a great area, this year I road on Christmas Day in Kingston (first time for everything!)
Roll on spring!

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: A Ride Through Ontario

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the route suggestion through Bedford. I'll make sure I go that way next time, because a couple of years ago I went towards there from Westport, and got as far as Fermoy where I though I'd go south on Canoe Lake Rd. to Desert Lake. That was an exciting ride. Passable, but exciting. I think I'll go to Bedford next time.
Three or four years ago I rode up to the Manitoulin Island to see some friends. Then I came back to Sudbury and north on 144 half way to Timmins, and 560 east to Englehart at Hwy.11. Then I made my way south on 11 and 17 to around Arnprior, where I moved a bit west and then south to the bridge at Gananoque, and in to the states etc. etc.
The link shows a very short ride from Perth to the Thousand Islands Bridge that was on the way. It's only 100 kms., but a very nice, interesting ride.

Ride safe............................Dave

https://goo.gl/maps/8npA12PsHmk
"Assume Nothing"

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”