Ride to Billings

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Big Red Bertha
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing Trike

Ride to Billings

Postby Big Red Bertha » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:02 pm

I will be riding to Billings via Casper, Wy. in August. I would like to know what you think the most scenic route out of Casper is. I plan on going through Thermopolis, Wy and either going through Worland, Greybull or Thermopiles to Meeteetse to Cody and on into Billings. Which one of these routes is the most scenic and the one you would suggest.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Ride to Billings

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 am

The ride from Thermopolis to Cody via Meeteetse is nice if I recall. It's the route that you take to Billings from Cody that's important.

Take 120 out of Cody. Then left at 296, Chief Joseph Highway to Cooke City, right onto 212 Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge. This is one of my favourite routes. Rode it many times. Once in both directions.

You may have already thought of this you didn't say so sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.

See you at WingDing maybe.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Big Red Bertha

Postby Big Red Bertha » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:29 pm

thanks for the info.

Boodad
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby Boodad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Will be riding with a planned 4 other bikes through that route also. We hail from Southern AZ. Maybe see you at Wing Ding.

Wayne Stark
Sierra Vista AZ

Big Red Bertha

Postby Big Red Bertha » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks Wayne. Hope to see you at Wing Ding also

Harry Bowers

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:53 pm

As you may know, Casper to Billings is a short ride, typically long enough to warm up the Goldwing engine oil! LOL! (Via Interbore/state).
Go via the Bighorn Canyon route to T-polis. Soak in the free hot springs or pay for a more 'premium' experience!
Greybull is a nice town but going NW out of T-polis is better...Cody, WY has a LOT to visit/see if you're into Western history and Buffalo Bill.
Then take "Dead Indian Pass" (I kid you not, that is the name) and it pops you up onto the Beartooth. Now that is a road. Ensure you have fresh brake pads for the descent.

I've ridden all over these places so many times, I know where the potholes are.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”