Cross canada tour

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Brad`s 2nd time
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade 1982 GL500 Silverwing

Cross canada tour

Postby Brad`s 2nd time » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Hello and happy new season, my wife and I are just in the process of planning a cross Canada tour, cpl. questions ,anybody have a good estimate of time needed ,and any good places to stay for a reasonable price. Leaving Nelson BC may 1 ,have to be home for June 1

Brad from Thrums

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: Cross canada tour

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Brad`s 2nd time wrote:Hello and happy new season, my wife and I are just in the process of planning a cross Canada tour, cpl. questions ,anybody have a good estimate of time needed ,and any good places to stay for a reasonable price. Leaving Nelson BC may 1 ,have to be home for June 1

Went across last year from Victoria to Northern Ontario Timmons region (Larder Lake) to see family and go to the biker's reunion in New Liskeard. Did the ride by myself, another bike or passenger would have been nice. Went via upper States as I have done the prairies before. To Northern Ontario, 5 days travelling - 700 to 1000 Kms per day. Takes two days to transit Ontario. Non-stop Ottawa to Halifax is 16 hours. Takes one day (a long one) to go from Calgary to Winnipeg.

These are actuals, done it many times, even from mile zero here in Victoria to mile zero outside St. John's, NFLD.

Travelled with the son-in-law last year around WA State. Anytime we looked at distances, we divided the distance in miles by 50, and then added three hours to the travel time (stopping, stretching, eating, smoke breaks and the likes). There was three of us and it was just about bang on every day.

Cross Canada is ambitious in one month. Two ways to look at your trip. Pick an end destination, get to it, take a leisurely trip back. Second, take your time getting there, then no stops on the way back. Always better to plan longer rides/days up front, then shorter as you travel into your trip (you do get tired as you travel).

Prairies will be a challenge for stops. North eastern Ontario the same, lovely scenery though.

When travelling through Ontario, the lake head route along Superior will take you longer than highway 11 over the top. Better scenery along the lake head, mosquito and black fly country on the highway 11 route.

Thinking of doing it again myself, go back to see the folks and all.

Just some thoughts for your trip. Enjoy.

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”