Holiday of a lifetime planned - yet another one!

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Paul Narramore
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing

Holiday of a lifetime planned - yet another one!

Postby Paul Narramore » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:08 am

In November I will be 70 so my wife persuaded me that we should have an exceptional holiday this autumn - to visit New England to witness the Fall. This is not a riding trip though. We have booked the trip through a travel adviser, something new to us, and everything seems to be planned - hotels, transport, flights, etc. A lazy way of doing things but she has access to all sorts of search engines to get bargain prices, and so on. This will be strange for me as I tend to enjoy going off on the bike for a week or so - alone - so this will be quite a treat. My wife enjoys cruises with her sister.

This is the itinerary so far.

15 Sept - Fly from London Heathrow to Toronto.
19 Sept - Fly to Washington DC.
22 Sept - Train to New York.
25 Sept - Train to Boston
28 Sept - Car rental to Stowe Flake Mountain Resort.
2 Oct - drive back to Boston - fly home.

Now with the exception of Stowe, I will be revisiting those cities having been there in 1999, 2001 and 2006, so I am familiar with them, but I am always happy to discover odd, non-touristy places that I'm not familiar with. Microbreweries are a favourite with me as well as nice places to eat. After three visits, I doubt whether we'll be going to the Empire State Building again, although I'm told it is fabulous by night. My wife has been to Ellis Island although when I went there, it was at the end of the day and about to close. So any advice warmly welcomed. We aren't after beds for the night, or anything like that, as everything is pre-planned but if anyone would like to meet up for a beer and a chat, we'd like to meet up, especially of you ride an early GL1000 :o :o :o

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

Paul Narramore

Re: Holiday of a lifetime planned - yet another one!

Postby Paul Narramore » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:54 am

Crikey, it's damned quiet on here :)

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 am

I could give you lots of things to see/do in the Toronto area (having lived there for many years). Unfortunately you're going to just miss the CNE, which is a pretty amazing spectacle.

You'll be there for the Ukranian Festival, which is the largest of its kind in North America, runs for three days, and is free. If you're into films, the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) will be going on then, although you'll want to secure tickets well in advance. If you like football (soccer), Toronto will be playing New York on the Sunday.

Paul Narramore

Postby Paul Narramore » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks for that. When in Toronto in 2001 we of course went up the CN Tower, then the Hard Rock Café in the nearby stadium, as well as taking a boat ride around the islands opposite. Niagara Falls of course and there's an underground shopping mall I recall. We like street markets, good local food and bars with real ale (craft beer), as well as lots of walking and seeing the sites. Not movies really and I overdose on football here. ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:46 am

Paul Narramore wrote:Thanks for that. When in Toronto in 2001 we of course went up the CN Tower, then the Hard Rock Café in the nearby stadium, as well as taking a boat ride around the islands opposite. Niagara Falls of course and there's an underground shopping mall I recall. We like street markets, good local food and bars with real ale (craft beer), as well as lots of walking and seeing the sites. Not movies really and I overdose on football here. ;)

The underground mall (look for the PATH signs) starts near the Eaton Center and is quite huge - you can walk it, or take the subway (the mall is large enough that it covers several subway stops). See: http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toro ... TH-Map.pdf

If you like good food and markets, check out the St. Lawrence Market, particularly the Farmer's Market on Saturdays. There is both food you can buy as groceries, or to eat right there, and it's massive.

Craft Beer has experienced an explosion in Canada (and particularly in Toronto) so you won't have a problem finding anything and everything you ever wanted. Check out the Craft Beer Passport.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”