Route planning

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
rmoss
Motorcycle: 2014 White GL1800

Route planning

Postby rmoss » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Just wondering what everyone is using for route planning. My favorite is mapsourse but garmin is no longer supporting it. I am buying a new laptop with windows 10 and am unsure whether or not mapsource will work.
I here Basecamp is not very user freindly and I have had limited success with Google Maps.

I thought i heard somewhere Honda has a program but I cannot find it??

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Route planning

Postby Dusty Boots » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 am

rmoss wrote:Just wondering what everyone is using for route planning. My favorite is mapsourse but garmin is no longer supporting it. I am buying a new laptop with windows 10 and am unsure whether or not mapsource will work.
I here Basecamp is not very user freindly and I have had limited success with Google Maps.

I thought i heard somewhere Honda has a program but I cannot find it??

It's called Honda Trip Planner and is based on Google Maps, but I prefer HD Ride Planner (also based on Google Maps) as it allows you to drag your route to make route corrections and also allows you to avoid/allow Interstates between each point, whereas the Honda one doesn't!

Here's a little tutorial I wrote for a friend of mine on another forum, on how to use HD Ride Planner

I have tried other programs, but I've found the HD Ride Planner the easiest/most intuitive one to learn/use

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:42 am

I agree with Dusty regarding HD Ride Planner. It's free also. I use it exclusively.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

rmoss
Motorcycle: 2014 White GL1800

Postby rmoss » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:23 am

I will have to try the HD Route Planner from what I see it looks pretty good I like the fact that I don't need a windows-based program therefore I don't need to buy a new laptop thanks for the help

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Personally I just use Basecamp. I've used it on both a Windows PC and on a Mac and it works fine. It did have a bit of a learning curve but I found a couple tutorials online that helped. One was a PDF file from New England Riders: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf. The other was a series of video tutorials, but I don't have the link to that anymore.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

speedy1
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE, 2004 Goldwing 1800, 2007 Honda Aero 750

Postby speedy1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Dusty Boots thanks for the heads up on the H-D Ride Planner. I down loaded it yesterday and have spent most of today doing some training on it. Easy for my simple mind to understand and use. Thanks again. :)

eagle1wing
Motorcycle: 2012 CL1800 Gold Wing

Postby eagle1wing » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:44 am

I use Garmin Base Camp. If you view the tutorial videos that come with the program you can get started without any trouble. When Garmin updates their maps for your GPS you can also update Base Camp with the same map. That lets your Garmin GPS and Base Camp use the same info. There are some trick to Base Camp that will make your day much more enjoyable. First disable all avoidance on your GPS and Base Camp. Use the Create Route tool to make custom routes. If you use the point A to point B, the software tells you where to go and it is a pain to click and drag the route to the roads you want. In the bottom left column the Route Dialog box will appear. Double click it to open. Un-click the AutoName button and name the route to something meaningful. The route via points appear in the box. Highlight all but the start and finish, then click "Do Not Alert on Arrival" If you leave "Alert on Arrival" on, and somehow miss a turn or you take a short cut, the GPS will continue re-routing you to the via point you missed, even if you are on the route you programmed. The only way to stop the re-routing is to stop the bike and use the GPS controls to delete the via point you missed. You can make routes hundreds of miles long. If you use more than 29 via points, your GPS will probably divide the route into parts. After creating the route, go over it again and delete some of the via points, using the Route Dialog box. Highlight the via point you want to delete then click "Remove" the via point, then click "Re-calculate". To edit the route after you exit the program, re-open Base Camp, open the dialog box and click the create route tool and the cursor will be appear on your last via point.

You can also make folders to hold your routes. If you travel to different states, make each state a folder. If you take long trips, make each trip into a separate folder. You can move the routes to different folder, just click and drag. You can duplicate routes and move them between the folders. (But, if you change one, the other will also change).

You can use the route san disk from the Wing to down load the Base Camp route to your bike GPS. Base Camp is not compatible with some Garmin GPS. I had trouble with the Zumo 660. The 390 and 590 are made to use with Base Camp. Base Camp comes in a PC and MAC version. Good luck!

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”