Quebec Is Calling Me!!

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Quebec Is Calling Me!!

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm well into mapping out a route that will take me through western Ontario, probably in the fall. As is often the case, suggestions made to me regarding possible routes to take, and sights to see, extended to other areas of the country. At one point, and Fireman if you're reading this, I'd like you to know that this is mostly your fault, It was mentioned that a ride through Gatineau to the Laurentions in Quebec might be an idea for a future trip. I'm thinking that a trip like that might be good for the soul this summer, after black fly season.
I don't like, as I've mentioned before many times, busy and congested areas. So I thought that I'd leave home in Solina, and take a route that would line me up with a crossing over the Ottawa River into Quebec, just north of Renfrew, Ont. This would be at Chenaux Rd./653. across the river to Portage-du-Fort and 303 to Shawville and north up to Ladysmith. There, I'm faced with a decision between staying on 303 north to Otter Lake, and taking 301 east to 105. Or, a longer route, although the length of a route is really of little concern, on 366 south to 105 at Wakefield, and then north on 105 to 117 at Grand-Remous. Then the plan would be to take 117 north to Val-d'Dor and Rouyn-Noranda, and back home from there.
I'd like to know, from anyone who might have traveled that area, which of the two routes out of Ladysmith is the most scenic and dramatic? Also, how primitive, isolated, and demanding 117 north from Grand-Remous to Val-d'Or might be?

This of course will all depend on, IF IT EVER STOPS SNOWING!!!!...............Thanks....Dave..............I'm okay now! :lol:

"Assume Nothing"

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Quebec Is Calling Me!!

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 am

Hey Dave. I do not know if you can read french, but here is the situation with Hwy 117 for the next three years of repairs. I have not been on those roads for about thirty years, but Val D'Or to Rouyn was really excellent that long ago. From Northern Ontario through to Marten River has all been redone in the last couple years.

http://www.fil-information.gouv.qc.ca/P ... 2311042330

In essence, what it says is that they have invested about 175 million in that road all the way to Rouyn Noranda since 2006. Translated article follows:

QUÉBEC, le 4 nov. 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - Transport Minister, Mr Robert Poëti, raise a state of situation on the implementation of plans inscribed to the Plan reviewed by intervention 2015-2018 on the road 117 in Laurentides. This day, six plans were accomplished with a view to ameliorating the security of displacements in the region. Let us say that Plan includes a dozen plans divided in three shutters, is the putting on, the improvement of the geometry of the road and the improvement of signalling. This version 2015-2018 of Plan represents an investment estimated at 13 million dollars.
So, six plans following from the plan of intervention were accomplished or will be it in the course of the autumn, 2015. It is about the asphalting of the putting on and about verges in Lac-Saguay with the improvement of a curve, the asphalting of the putting on and verges in Lac-des-Écorces with the improvement of the curve Mc Guire and the installation of two fixed pedagogic radars in Lac-Saguay. The installation of the mobile pedagogic radars in the municipalities of Comprehension and Lac-des-Écorces will follow, before the end of October. An intervention of maintenance aiming at the security of the rocky walls in the area north of Comprehension and in Lac-des-Écorces will be also accomplished before the end of 2015.
In accordance with what asserted by means of press release the SOS 117 committee, Transport Minister met the group twice, that is on October 17th, 2014 and February 16th, 2015. In October, 2014, SOS 117 had sensitized the minister in stakes of road safety of this chunk. Following this meeting, the minister Poëti had introduced his new plan of intervention 2015-2018 during the meeting of last February.
« Having met the SOS 117 committee in autumn, 2014, I promised to see again the plan of intervention in depth to accomplish concrete plans, centered on the security of the users of the road 117 and it, in the shortest possible time. I am satisfied with interventions implemented in the course of the present season by jobs and I am persuaded that they will give significant results on the issue of the road safety to answer the concerns of middle », to assert Transport Minister, Mr Robert Poëti.
Besides, other plans announced in Plan are preparing with a view to beginning the process of attribution of contracts for the realization of jobs in 2016. It is notably about the asphalting of the putting on and about verges between Labelle and River-red, of the redevelopment of the Main street and its approaches in The Comprehension, redevelopment of the intersection of the way of The Surgical collar in Labelle, and asphalting and the building of islets of entrance of agglomeration in the village core of Lac-Saguay.
« These initiatives aiming principally at reinforcing the security of the users of the road 117 are a very good news for the citizens of the region. Sensitive facilities for the economy of our region, this road are the main access to the regions of Abitibi and Nord-du-Québec. The users will benefit therefore from an even securitier road for their displacements », underlined the minister responsible for the Laurentides region, Mrs Christine St-Pierre.
The study of resolutions for the area between the way of Golf, in Lac-des-Écorces, and the rise of Soucy, in Mount-laurel, will be also accomplished in 2016. As for the plan of the redevelopment of the intersection of the road 117 and the way of the Park-industrialist, in River-red, his realization is envisaged in 2018.
Finally, concerning the shutter signalling, the maintenance of délinéateurs in place and the improvement of signalling in general are inscribed to the plan of intervention. The Ministry undertook the full inventory of signalling in 2014 on the road 117, between Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts and Mount-laurel. It allowed to begin this year the updating of small signalling on the territory, plan which will be finished in 2016.
The plan of intervention 2015-2018 also includes sums requested for the chase of certain preparative studies of plans of improvement in Lac-Saguay and in Lac-des-Écorces, as well as plan of redevelopment of the road 117 between Lac-des-Écorces and Mount-laurel.
Let us say that, since 2006, the Ministry brought constant improvements on the road 117, between Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts and Rouyn-Noranda, which answer needs of fluidity and security. So, the government has invested this day more than 175 million dollars on this strategical axle, among which more than 150 millions only in the Laurentides region.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for your interest Viking. You, are obviously an avid touring enthusiast, just like myself. And thanks for the highway info., although I only understood about 5% of it. :lol: I think that I'm basically just going to wing-it, and stick pretty well to the route I selected. I looked quite closely at the terrain on Google maps. I'll cross the Ottawa River north of Renfrew, and go over to Ladysmith on 303. Then I think that I might take 366 to Wakefield on the Gatineau River, and north on 105, up the Gatineau to 117. It's a little bit populated in places along the way, but it will probably hold a good variety of interest. It doesn't look too busy. Going up 117 at Grand-Remous, to the Ontario border west of Rouyn-Noranda, will be the wilderness part of the trip. That part looks like a lot of forests and lakes, and a bit more rocky and rugged towards Val d'Or. If there's road construction, I'll just deal with it. It wouldn't be the first time. You know what I mean. Anyway Viking, thanks again. And if you ever need any trip suggestions, let me know, and I'll see if I can help.

I hope you get a lot of good, safe riding in this season.......................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:30 am

Hey Dave, sorry about that - but you will thank me later! All of the routes you have suggested sound terrific to me, I have not travelled every road listed but most. Once you get that far up some of the pavement is heaved and rough, and sometimes there are gravel patches. I am sure you will have the experience and foresight to not "attack" too many corners before you gauge the conditions. My last trip that way I veered east after Parc du Tremblant and headed to St Michel de Saints. Nice little spot. Although I must admit I was on my V Strom not the Wing and the changes in road surfaces were less of an issue. All the best with your trip, I have a couple of short ones planned in northern NY (Adirondaks) then the "biggie" this year in June to the Cabot Trail. all the best.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Hey Fireman, thanks for getting back. The weather's awesome eh?
You were mentioning Mont-Tremblant, and then up to Saint-Michel-des-Saints. That looks like a good ride for the future, but literally a dead-end for my destination this time. I could however, go to Mont-Tremblant, and then get on 117 north to Val-d'Or from there. I'm thinking, when you go to Mont-Tremblant, that you cross into Quebec at Hawkesbury, rather than deal with a crossing at Ottawa or Montreal. You know the Kingston area. If I made my way to Odessa, what would be a nice "winding, perfectly paved, bug free, sunny day ride", from there to Hawkesbury? A relatively direct route south of Smith's Falls somewhere, and well away from the 401. Then across the Ottawa River, and down the river on 344, to something that would take me up to Brownsburg, and 327 north to 117 at Mont-Tremblant. This would be an alternative to taking my original route from north of Renfrew, to 105 north of Gatineau at Wakefield, and then north to 117, on 105.
I'm sorry to heap this on you Fireman, but I also have one other question. Are you by any chance familiar with 366 out of Wakefield to 307 north to 309, and then further north to 117? That looks interesting. There, I'll leave you alone!

Thanks again, and take your time riding. There really is no rush..........................Dave :D
"Assume Nothing"

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi Dave:

Love the weather !

Once you get past Kingston all the roads up to and around Ottawa were drawn by an engineer with a ruler fetish! He/she most certainly wasn't a rider. They are straight and dull.

I would try to stay close to your first thoughts, i.e. Renfrew. Carry on from Odessa to Kingston and take county rd # 10 north (Division Street) off of the 401. This road is one of the best in Ontario, excellent twisties all the way. Take it to Westport then through Perth then 511 north to Calabogie for an incredible ride. from there to Renfrew and back to plan A . Here's a google map link https://goo.gl/maps/So9F6LpZsCG2

As for 366 etc. don't know the 366 or 307. 309 is a nice touring road but not very challenging. goes through nice villages; vacationed off of 309 leads to Mont Laurier.

If you hit the 105 north don't miss the "Beanerie " just north of Wakefield. Best baked beans in the world! All the best, ride safe.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:48 am

I crossed at Renfrew and went north one year.If you like looking at rocks and trees that's your spot.Not much to see IMHO.Saying all that though I don't care much for running through Algonqin Park either.Same thing there rocks and trees only you have to dodge all the picture takers.Anything worth seeing in Quebec is in the congested area(St. Lawrence river area) and south of there.Hope your french is fairly good also.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 pm

pgfireman wrote:Hi Dave:

Love the weather !

Once you get past Kingston all the roads up to and around Ottawa were drawn by an engineer with a ruler fetish! He/she most certainly wasn't a rider. They are straight and dull.

I would try to stay close to your first thoughts, i.e. Renfrew. Carry on from Odessa to Kingston and take county rd # 10 north (Division Street) off of the 401. This road is one of the best in Ontario, excellent twisties all the way. Take it to Westport then through Perth then 511 north to Calabogie for an incredible ride. from there to Renfrew and back to plan A . Here's a google map link https://goo.gl/maps/So9F6LpZsCG2

As for 366 etc. don't know the 366 or 307. 309 is a nice touring road but not very challenging. goes through nice villages; vacationed off of 309 leads to Mont Laurier.

If you hit the 105 north don't miss the "Beanerie " just north of Wakefield. Best baked beans in the world! All the best, ride safe.

And thanks Chris,

Chris also wrote,"Anything worth seeing in Quebec is in the congested area(St. Lawrence river area) and south of there.Hope your french is fairly good also."

Thanks for getting back Fireman. Actually any the part of the province, in and around the county rd.10, and north to Calabogie is impossible to beat. I've ridden that area many times, and I never get tired of it.
My back's been bothering me lately, so I didn't get any riding in through all that fine weather we've been having, but it's coming around now. I might just dial it back a bit this year and stay closer to home. Of course, "closer to home" for me, is anything in Ontario south of Thunder Bay, but mostly well south. I think I'll pass on Quebec for now. Just as Chris seems to think, it would be a long haul. And my French sucks, although I do like beans. To be honest with you, Quebec never did much for me, based on my nighttime travels south of the Saint Lawrence River back in the day. It was just....too quiet. Especially when you're low on fuel. But maybe that's just me.

Thanks again for your help......slow down, and ride safely.............Dave

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=32603#ixzz46tlr9aDj
"Assume Nothing"

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:51 pm

went to quebec last year on bike it rained big time I was lucky to get people to understand me at a restaurant fun times nice ride,

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:35 am

lamasue wrote:went to quebec last year on bike it rained big time I was lucky to get people to understand me at a restaurant fun times nice ride,

Yes, that was fortunate. I was through Quebec last year, I speak French, and could not get a restaurant server to understand me in either Canadian Official language. We resorted to pointing at items on the menu. We did get breakfast, and it was what we ordered. Sometimes having NO voice is better. LMAO.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 pm

themainviking wrote:
lamasue wrote:went to quebec last year on bike it rained big time I was lucky to get people to understand me at a restaurant fun times nice ride,

Yes, that was fortunate. I was through Quebec last year, I speak French, and could not get a restaurant server to understand me in either Canadian Official language. We resorted to pointing at items on the menu. We did get breakfast, and it was what we ordered. Sometimes having NO voice is better. LMAO.

It's been my experience(and a few others I know) that while they appear not to be able to understand you it's more a case of they don't want to deal with people especially from Ontario.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”