Lake Havasue AZ to Penticton BC...

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
kurtjeff
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Lake Havasue AZ to Penticton BC...

Postby kurtjeff » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:59 am

Planning a 10 day ride from Lake Havasue up to Penticton, BC..departing Havasue June 14th or 15th 2016...looking for information and suggestions on route options, points of interest, hotels, fuel stops etc.

I prefer to avoid the Interstates and will use secondary hiways and backroads whenever I can...

A link to the route I'm considering for the first "leg"...Havasue to Ely

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Lake+...6!2d39.2474393

I live in Alberta...riding an 2008 1800...the bike has been parked in a garage all winter in AZ, but I was down there in March to check it out and, mechanically, all seems fine...after 6 months in storage it started right up like it was running yesterday...

For peace of mind, I would like to have the bike inspected and serviced before I head north...if anyone can recommend a dealership or bike shop in Havasue please let me know...

Thanks!

Kurt.

chads920
Motorcycle: 93 1500A Gold Wing - Champion Trike
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR
90 Bunkhouse tent trailer (sold)
2016 Bunkhouse - Queen

Re: Lake Havasue AZ to Penticton BC...

Postby chads920 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 am

Im sorry I missed your post as I also have a bike in AZ, 89 Yamaha Venture Royale, and was thinking that I should ride it home. I was unsure of the conditions that I would encounter at that time of year, based upon previous trips home in April. There are so many possible route options it really amounts to elevation and isolation factors in the Spring. How was your trip as I am considering the attempt again from AZ City AZ this coming Apr. 2017
Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560
Member of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 192, Legion Rider Unit member

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Chads920, you are talking about two months earlier in the spring than Kurts ride. In April, trying to avoid Interstate highways, I am fairly certain you will hit snow in higher elevations. Could even run right smack into blizzard conditions. Have a real good look at weather forecasts for two or three days in advance at every place you stop. Also realize that after you pass Nevada/Colorado, you will be a rarity of being probably the only motorcycle that the cars may or may not see. I have tried to get south from Ontario to Texas every year for the last five or so, and could not get even across the border into the US for weather unpredictability until mid to late May. I would presume the same weather exists when one travels north at the same time of year. Now, if you were to swoop west a bit and go up the coast, all that would be eliminated.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

chads920
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR
2016 Bunkhouse - Queen

Postby chads920 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:52 pm

I know what you mean, we have run into storms of one kind or another every year for then past 12 years but in a cage. Your suggested route up the West coast is a good one and will likely b the prefered option. The wife just informed me that I/we may have other plans for next Spring, something about going to 'Jolly Old'. oh well ...
Sometimes your find yourself on a lonely open road, sometimes on a open road you find yourself.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560

kurtjeff
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby kurtjeff » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:15 am

Chads920...my ride had no weather issues of any significance...sunshine all the way to the border and only a bit of rain once I got into BC (what a surprise)...as mentioned by previous posters, this no doubt had a lot to do with the time of year...you may want to consider holding off until May, at least, for your own ride, to give yourself better odds for acceptable weather conditions...ride safe!

Kurt

chads920
03 Yamaha RSV (sold)
89 Yamaha VR
2016 Bunkhouse - Queen

Postby chads920 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Yup I agree May would be a better time to travel but and as you are aware timings are based upon entry dates and we cross the end of Oct ea year. I trailered the bike dwn and will likely do the same for the rtn. The cost difference, dwn vs back, for a U Haul is ridicules. A $300.00 difference was a bit to much to take so I think I'll do the Harbour Freight by a trailer thing.
BBM - PIN 24DF1560

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:19 pm

chads920 wrote:Yup I agree May would be a better time to travel but and as you are aware timings are based upon entry dates and we cross the end of Oct ea year. I trailered the bike dwn and will likely do the same for the rtn. The cost difference, dwn vs back, for a U Haul is ridicules. A $300.00 difference was a bit to much to take so I think I'll do the Harbour Freight by a trailer thing.

With that kinda difference, and add the rest of the cost each way, you almost coulda bought a trailer, or at least half a trailer, so two years of owning your own trailer would make it free. You might could even buy a used covered trailer for the price. A five by nine for instance. Brand new single axle 5X9s start at about $2500 Cdn. Probably start at $1600 or so U.S. I bought an 8.5 X 18 tandem axle a number of years back, used, for $4000. Heck, maybe you would even like a toy hauler. I have a 34 foot with a 12 foot walled off garage that I would sell for $11,000. Lots of possibilities. Me - I would just ride the bike up the west coast, :lol:

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”