traffic and places to avoid

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
tackwest
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500

traffic and places to avoid

Postby tackwest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

Hi All,
Thought maybe we could start a thread on places that might not be the best to travel through. I recently rode through Toronto, Ontario and got caught in a 4 hour traffic jam. While steaming at my misfortune, I thought it would be nice to have a resource that gave me an idea of what to expect as well as alternate times to travel through. I talked with a limo driver in Toronto and he said to avoid the area on Friday and Saturday late afternoon. To me, that would be very useful to know. Please keep it positive if you can, not trying to bash anywhere. Hopefully I'm not repeating another thread.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: traffic and places to avoid

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:43 am

The simple solution is to avoid any big city. Unfortunately they do have things worth seeing in many of the large cities. If possible I like to stop and park on the outskirts and take the subway or bus into the downtown--absolutely the best way to see Washington, DC. Rush hour for the big cities seems to start at 0700 and end around 0830 and then again around 1530 to 1800 so these are times to avoid riding in a big city.

Some major highways always seem congested with I-95 from New Jersey to Rhode Island coming to mind. Best time to travel that stretch is during the night and early morning.

Sometimes you can beat the traffic if you know the side streets and roads other than the primary ones. But this is usually based on knowledge and definitely not a GPS. My wife gets a big kick out of me and my getting the map out to find a better route than the GPS and I am usually successful not to mention that we get to see more than interstates provide.

I realize this is not related to a particular city as this is what I have learned traveling through many cities. However the area from Washinton, DC to Rhode Island has consistently had the worst traffic I have ever seen. I guess LA could be as bad.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:01 pm

I try to avoid National Parks from Memorial day until a week or two after Labor day. I'm kinda spoiled, living an hour away from Yosemite and being retired, I can go in anytime. That being the case, if I have more than 5 cars in front of me, or can't park right at the falls, or what ever attraction I'm trying to see, then I get crabby and start complaining about how crowded the place is.
No......patience is NOT one of my good points.

tackwest
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500

Postby tackwest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:25 pm

Both good advice. We tried to go through the smaller roads through Buffalo, NY. Big mistake. I usually try to skirt the cities, but in the Toronto area, there is no reasonable way to do it. I DEFINITELY get crabby stuck in traffic ( my wife shuts her intercom off). Being from Maine we are spoiled as well, but anywhere near the coast on a weekend is a place to avoid.

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:57 pm

The roads around Wine country, in California, are pretty crowded during rush hour near ANY of the little towns.
I 15 between LA and Las Vegas Friday afternoon, North bound, and Sunday afternoon South bound.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 pm

tackwest wrote:Hi All,
Thought maybe we could start a thread on places that might not be the best to travel through. I recently rode through Toronto, Ontario and got caught in a 4 hour traffic jam. While steaming at my misfortune, I thought it would be nice to have a resource that gave me an idea of what to expect as well as alternate times to travel through. I talked with a limo driver in Toronto and he said to avoid the area on Friday and Saturday late afternoon. To me, that would be very useful to know. Please keep it positive if you can, not trying to bash anywhere. Hopefully I'm not repeating another thread.

Having lived in Toronto, I can tell you that you are going to get stuck in a traffic jam pretty much anytime outside of about 2am - 4am (and sometimes even then). It is I think now the second worst city in North America in terms of traffic. Basically, if you're planning on going to/through Toronto, allow lots of extra time to sit in traffic.

It's actually one of the reasons I left. I really didn't like losing four hours of my life every day sitting in a traffic jam. That's 20 hours a week!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 am

The Dallas / Worth Metroplex is usually a traffic nightmare. Right now if traveling I-35 stay away from I-35w thru Ft Worth. Construction for about 20 miles.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:24 am

WingAdmin wrote:Having lived in Toronto, I can tell you that you are going to get stuck in a traffic jam pretty much anytime outside of about 2am - 4am (and sometimes even then). It is I think now the second worst city in North America in terms of traffic. Basically, if you're planning on going to/through Toronto, allow lots of extra time to sit in traffic.

It's actually one of the reasons I left. I really didn't like losing four hours of my life every day sitting in a traffic jam. That's 20 hours a week!

The best way to bypass Toronto if you are travelling the 401 east to west (or vise versa) is by taking this route - https://goo.gl/maps/mRsRYL1mm7P2

If coming from the east on the 401 and are wanting to go to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, then take this route - https://goo.gl/maps/sJwmqBpDYj32

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:40 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Having lived in Toronto, I can tell you that you are going to get stuck in a traffic jam pretty much anytime outside of about 2am - 4am (and sometimes even then). It is I think now the second worst city in North America in terms of traffic. Basically, if you're planning on going to/through Toronto, allow lots of extra time to sit in traffic.

The best way to bypass Toronto if you are travelling the 401 east to west (or vise versa) is by taking this route - https://goo.gl/maps/mRsRYL1mm7P2

If coming from the east on the 401 and are wanting to go to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, then take this route - https://goo.gl/maps/sJwmqBpDYj32

Both of those routes take Highway 9, which goes through Orangeville (I also lived there). It's a good bypass route, but where it crosses the 400 and 404, it gets quite backed up during rush hour.

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:51 am

In Utah, I-15 between Ogden and Orem pretty much anytime. It is an inadequate slab for the amount of traffic that abuses it. Rush hours are 0600 to 0900 and then 1500 to 1900. After that, they shut down all but one lane if you're lucky for construction all night. Repeat. Oddly, weekends are not so bad as the work commute is significantly reduced. But construction still prevails and usually results in one lane or complete shutdown with detours through the city. There are alternatives, which I prefer, mainly US89 which often takes you through smaller towns along the way. There is that traffic, too but fewer objects in the road. Seriously, I-15 is the only freeway I know where you can encounter a refrigerator or a dog house in the middle of the road. Not safe for Goldwings, I try to avoid this death strip at all costs. NOT trying to bash but this is the nature of this beast.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”