What's close to your home?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

What's close to your home?

Postby cardinal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:50 pm

The joke about where I live, Fresno, Ca., is that it's 2 1/2 hours away from anything, but the best part of living in Fresno is that it's only 2 1/2 hours from so many places. In 2 1/2 hours I can be In Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia National Parks. In that same amount of time I can be in Monterey, Moro Bay, Cambria, or several other beach towns. I can ride up into Gold Country in a little less time.
In short, I can have Beach or mountain any day I choose. If I want to stay overnight, I can add Wine Country to the North, and Death Valley to the south.
I'm going to post pictures and videos of what's "Close to Home".
Join in and post stuff you can ride to in a day or two.
I took a ride to Nelson Camp yesterday, about 120 miles. I took a lot of video, and I'm still working on editing and posting them, so that will be my first contribution.
[youtube]

[/YouTube]

Show us what's close to home for you......

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: What's close to your home?

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:00 pm

I live right outside Richmond, VA. I also have it all within a couple hours. To the west we have the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway as well as the Applachian mountains which are full of fun roads to ride. To the north we have all sorts of history with Fredericksburg and DC. To the south, well in NC you get the Outer Banks and if you head west you are back in the mountains. And less that two hours east you have VA Beach and the Atlantic or if you go a little north you have the Chesapeake Bay.

Fortunately we have some really great riding right around Richmond so you can take many hour or so rides and have a lot of fun.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:14 pm

From Fresno, you have to ride close to an hour in any direction before you get to anything really fun or pretty.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:15 am

If you live in the UK you are never that far from anywhere. Granted, Northern Ireland requires a ferry crossing, as do many of the Scottish Isles. In England, you are never more than about 70 miles from the sea, it depends how you measure it, estuaries, tides etc. Although we don't have forests, mountain ranges or deserts, we do have a huge variety of geographical features, from bleak moorland hills to rolling pasture and very big cities. My nearest ferry port is about 40 minutes away (Holland and Belgium) though the crossings take 12 hours. I am 6 hours from the Channel Tunnel, the quickest and most unromantic route to continental Europe. When my friend lived in North Eastern France - Lorient, infamous for its U boat pens in the 2nd World War, it would take me about 13 hours to get home.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:18 am

Well I'm sad to say that from Oklahoma City there aren't a lot of scenic rides. If I ride west It's 350 miles to New Mexico riding. Heading north I have to ride across Kansas and Nebraska to get into South Dakota. South is 400 miles to the Texas hill country. East is at least 100 miles into eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas and beyond. When we go for extended rides (usually west, southwest or northwest) the first day is just getting past the nothing areas. Oh well!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:18 am

brettchallenger wrote:If you live in the UK you are never that far from anywhere. Granted, Northern Ireland requires a ferry crossing, as do many of the Scottish Isles. In England, you are never more than about 70 miles from the sea, it depends how you measure it, estuaries, tides etc. Although we don't have forests, mountain ranges or deserts, we do have a huge variety of geographical features, from bleak moorland hills to rolling pasture and very big cities. My nearest ferry port is about 40 minutes away (Holland and Belgium) though the crossings take 12 hours. I am 6 hours from the Channel Tunnel, the quickest and most unromantic route to continental Europe. When my friend lived in North Eastern France - Lorient, infamous for its U boat pens in the 2nd World War, it would take me about 13 hours to get home.

If you don't cross big water, you have a LOT of good stuff to see and, from what I've been able to see, there are quite a few good motorcycle roads scattered around.

dingdong wrote:Well I'm sad to say that from Oklahoma City there aren't a lot of scenic rides. If I ride west It's 350 miles to New Mexico riding. Heading north I have to ride across Kansas and Nebraska to get into South Dakota. South is 400 miles to the Texas hill country. East is at least 100 miles into eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas and beyond. When we go for extended rides (usually west, southwest or northwest) the first day is just getting past the nothing areas. Oh well!

That's the kind of territory that makes it allowable to trailer your ride to some terrain with texture.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:38 am

When my friend lived in North Eastern France - Lorient, infamous for its U boat pens in the 2nd World War, it would take me about 13 hours to get home.

That should of course read, "North Western France"!!
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:25 am

brettchallenger wrote:If you live in the UK you are never that far from anywhere. Granted, Northern Ireland requires a ferry crossing, as do many of the Scottish Isles. In England, you are never more than about 70 miles from the sea, it depends how you measure it, estuaries, tides etc. Although we don't have forests, mountain ranges or deserts, we do have a huge variety of geographical features, from bleak moorland hills to rolling pasture and very big cities. My nearest ferry port is about 40 minutes away (Holland and Belgium) though the crossings take 12 hours. I am 6 hours from the Channel Tunnel, the quickest and most unromantic route to continental Europe. When my friend lived in North Eastern France - Lorient, infamous for its U boat pens in the 2nd World War, it would take me about 13 hours to get home.

I found the lake district and up into Scotland to be a fun area to ride. Can't saymuch about area around London due to traffic volume and use of your interstates. I did find it quite a challenge to ride on the wrong side of the road. And it was fun to encounter the "roundabouts' until I had ridden a few and adjusted to them. I wish I could come back with more time to spend riding and exploring!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Branson, Missouri is a couple hours away on some good motorcycling roads. Like going through Roaring River State park. A good place for family reunions, trout fishing and camping. Tents & RV areas.
Watch that first hill leaving Roaring River. The speed limit has been dropped to 50 MPH. Hitting the top of that hill at 70+ MPH will put space between your bike and mother earth! (At least, it will in a '72 Torino with the 429 SCJ in it!) Pay attention to the crosses marking the roadsides right there.
Eurka Springs, Arkansas is about 20 miles away. Highway 62 runs through hilly pasture land and then enters the woods. Now it gets crooked but shady and cool.
Bikes, Blues & BBQ each fall is in Springdale, about 25 to 30 miles from here. BBQ, live music, bikes and vendors selling...everything, well everything legal. :lol:
Beaver Lake is near Eureka Springs. Swimming, fishing, camping and all sorts of water sports. Used to be a ski jump near Prairie Creek Marina but I haven't been out there for a while now.
The Pea Ridge civil war battle field is just west of Garfield on highway 62. Was there today and watched the steps it took to fire a cannon. Loud! With less than half a charge. :shock:
Was a fairly active night life around here many years ago. I suppose its still going strong but with my early bedtime I wouldn't know about that anymore. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:07 am

One of the best rides near my home, except during tourist season, is to Yosemite. Two hours to either the South or West gate from my home.
But, remember what I said about there being an hour of boring in any direction to get to the good stuff....
The boring, ugly part of the ride...
The boring, ugly part of the ride...

Then you get to the good stuff...

View from the Tunnel View area...
View from the Tunnel View area...
From Glacier Point
From Glacier Point

Half Dome from Glacier Point
Half Dome from Glacier Point
The Valley
The Valley
Backside of Half Dome from Olmstead Point on the way to Tioga Pass
Backside of Half Dome from Olmstead Point on the way to Tioga Pass

This is a small sample of Yosemite and it's close to my home.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:42 am

Now I want to go to Yosemite! My riding partner wants to go to Las Vegas. I'm not a big city guy, and gambling is best left to those that don't need it.
I would love a few days in Yosemite! :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:47 am

It's worth the trip, and close to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, too.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:08 pm

From Fresno, you have your choice of how to get to several destinations.....Mountain or Shore..
I chose the mountain route....
Skyline Drive
Skyline Drive

To get to
ALICE'S RESTAURANT!
ALICE'S RESTAURANT!

This is what the parking lot looks like on a Tuesday!
Week day at Alice's Restaurant
Week day at Alice's Restaurant

I rode by this place on a weekend once.........just kept going.
This is the place That was named after Arlo Guthrie's song, not the place the song was about. Food and atmosphere are GREAT!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Just been out riding all the tree shaded state highways I could find in SW Missouri and NW Arkansas.
In the mornings, in the shade, riding is a great way of being outdoors and staying cool. But by lunchtime, the shady spots aren't so cool anymore.
I'm thinking a ride to the desert and to the California parks and mountains would be a lot nicer in the fall.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:36 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:I'm thinking a ride to the desert and to the California parks and mountains would be a lot nicer in the fall.

Definitely less crowded a few weeks after school starts. However, there's hardly any water left in the falls after July or August.
Spring is nice, too, but you have to consider the weather between you and your destination.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Was talking to a friend that was in Las Vegas a couple years ago, in August. He just kept telling me how hot it was.
And he remembered some roads with very little traffic but they were just straight as can be and went as far as you could see. (Was worried about breaking down out there. :lol: )
(I was thinking there was probably very little traffic on the road because the local people were smart enough to stay home in August. All the traffic was vacationers). :lol:

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:11 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Was talking to a friend that was in Las Vegas a couple years ago, in August. He just kept telling me how hot it was.
And he remembered some roads with very little traffic but they were just straight as can be and went as far as you could see. :lol:

Don't know why he's say such a thing...
This is Nevada Highway 6 between Tonopah and Ely......167 miles of no gas.....

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:27 pm

I have a friend that lives in North Sheilds. They are constantly posting pictures and stories of beautiful places that are less than 3 hours from their home. They don't ride a motorcycle, so they don't post many pictures of the roads, but the historical places are incredible.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Within an hour or so ride south of here (Cleveland), you hit some of the finest motorcycle roads ever. Gorgeous scenery, hills, twisty roads, no traffic. Spend some time in Ohio Amish country as well as in the amazing Hocking Hills area - one of my favorite places to ride.

From just a few weeks ago:

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:48 am

Hardknott Pass, Lake district UK. A few hours ride from where I live, but we rode up for a long weekend a few years ago. Well worth the journey. Obviously not a fast road, due to being narrow and VERY twisty, though!
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Looks like it's well worth a few hours ride to get to!

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

Postby captdecker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:26 pm

What's close to home, well lets see. As I live in Prescott, AZ from here you can take 89a up to Flagstaff along the way is the ghost town of Jerome. Tourist and artist have broth it back to life. Now if you come through on a Wednesday the Haunted Hamburger is haft price on there burger's. On up the road is the red rocks of Sedona them climb up into Flagstaff via Oak Creek canyon. Just north of there, there is the Sunset Crater Volcano Nat Park. Myself I like the north rim of the Grand Canyon better , though the south is easer to get to.

Go east from Prescott taking the 260 out of Camp Verde to the 87 going left will take you to Clint Wells also know as Long Valley and a nice family restaurant. By going north take the Mormon lake turn off nice ride back to Flagstaff. Then 89a or I 40 to Ash fork back. Taking a right on the 260/87 will take you into Payson along the Mogollon rim a bit farther east will take you to Woods Canyon lake. For a longer trip on east to Show Low Pinetop-lake side, lots of pine's on eastern of AZ.

There then 89 South Yarnell Hill.

Come on by and enjoy the riding.

5150Jim
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
1980 GL1100
1976 GL1000 (sold)

Postby 5150Jim » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:33 pm

I live in Nor Cal as we call it but really my town is Chico Ca. I am fortunate to live 15 minutes from a nice mountain road. Deer Creek Hwy or just Hwy 32. I have lots of pictures but I'll only post a few.

This stop is about 30 min up the Hwy 32 from my house & there is a nice creek about 20 ft down the embankment.

Here is another stop along the route.

I like to ride up Hwy 32 to Quincy CA & then come back on Hwy 70

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby rachester67 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 am

I'm in North Central Texas so all the good rides are at least 2.5 to 3 hours away. Have done the Talimena Trail ride from OK to AR several times. Have traveled south to the Hill country and rode the Three Sisters. East to the Piney Woods. Going to go to Palo Duro Canyon on Labor Day. Check out the clubs website for pictures.http://www.blueknightstx1.org

dheaton
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 "04"

Postby dheaton » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:55 am

This is a very good topic and I am following to see where I want to ride next.

I live in Boulder, Utah and that is a small town (180 People) in the mountains. My home is at 7600 feet and every where I ride to from here is beautiful. Boulder is on Scenic Route Highway 12. Highway 12 is only about 80 miles or so but it is some of the most beautiful riding you can have. You would ride past Bryce Canyon National Park, Kodachrome state park, in Grand staircase Escalante national park, and end near Capitol Reef national park. I will try and ad some photos and maybe some videos later today. Right now I am going to go out and photograph the "Tour de Utah" bicycle race that is riding right past my home.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”