Route 66 Trip: what parts would you take?

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Sharon2665
Motorcycle: 2004 Goldwing 1800 w/ Razor trike kit

Route 66 Trip: what parts would you take?

Postby Sharon2665 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:03 pm

So we are planning on heading out for a month long trip of Rt 66. Planning on going all the way from Joliett to San Bernadino. Bike has been completely serviced with all fluids and filters changed and has a brand new front tire. Trike tires only have a few thousand on them so all is well with the bike. Have a tool kit to take and all the personal items we have covered from many miles of bike traveling experience. This will be the first time I have taken the GW for a long long trip though and I am wondering if there are any special tools or parts that anyone would say they wouldn't leave home without? I would much rather be prepared than stuck even though I do have roadside assistance!
Thanks

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Route 66 Trip: what parts would you take?

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

Parts I wouldn't worry about. You can't carry one of everything. Tools? Here is a recent thread regarding what tools to carry that might give you some ideas. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34416

Good luck on your Rt 66 ride.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 am

I would not leave home without credit cards, cellphone and rainsuits!

You also might want to let the credit card company know before the trip that you will be travelling and will be going to California. They watch that stuff today and will shut down a card till the member tells them what is happening.

Don't forget drivers license and vehicle registration. Leave home with a smile ready to have fun! And see some history on RT66.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Sharon2665

Postby Sharon2665 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks. We will definitely call about the credit cards as they have proven to be very watchful in the past and don't need any problems even though we always carry a backup. We have the rain suits, cell phones all those type of things. We have done many bike trips before and have all of that along with packing down to a science, well kind of! Just wondering about specific items that the Gold Wing might need like a fuse or a certain wrench as I have not done distance traveling with the Gold Wing before and know it is a lot more complex than other bikes in its makeup.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:18 am

There should be a tool kit from Honda with the Wing. Honestly if you need more than those tools you will probably need a dealer. The only thing I have go bad on my 04 GL1800 in over 120,000 miles was a headlight burnt out and while riding a horrible pot holed road in Mass I managed to blow out a fork seal. We went to a dealer to get the seal replaced and I did stop at a dealer and buy new headlight which I installed and no tools were needed.

In the beginning I replaced the Honda tools with some Craftsman wrenches, better pliers and added a set of needlenose, vessel JIS screwdrivers to make the tools easier to use. I also carry a digital meter, never used on my Wing but has been used to check batteries on other bikes, and a set of jumper cables. I also carry a tire plug kit which I did use once in Iowa to plug a Harleys tire. Because I tow a trailer I also carry an extra quart of oil and a quart of coolant. Never needed either.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Sharon2665

Postby Sharon2665 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Sounds like the Wings are very reliable machines and that is what I am hoping for. It's never given us a bit of problem so far and I'm sure it will do the same on the trip west. Right now it has around 72,000mi on it and we will be adding about 5000 to 6000. Hopefully no problems with ANY of the bikes going!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:31 am

Goldwings have to be, arguably, the most reliable bike there is. I have owned three and have toured 35 states. Probably 250k miles Never have I had a problem while on the road. Proper maintenance is the key. Ride safe on your trip. Keep us posted with pictures. We like pictures.
I would like to hear how you like your trike when you return. Thinking of a trike in the future, maybe the near future.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:41 am

I have to say that my opinion pretty much agrees with all others posted in this thread. Goldwings are reliable, and trying to foresee your next problem will just drive you crazy. They just do not normally have problems. Relax and enjoy your Route 66 tour. I have ridden the route several times and never fail to find new stuff (new to me anyway) however, not being a U.S. of A.merican, this should come as no surprise. I used to carry spark plugs, points, tools, etc when I still rode a Harley, and many times, needed them. I have not yet needed a tool with the Goldwing, although the tool kit Honda supplied rests comfortably under the rubber hold down in the left saddlebag, along with the owners manuals. I have needed the owners manuals on occasion to figure out why my radio or CB or other radio stuff is acting up. That is about it. I ride as though I did not have a care in the world - at least to do with the motorcycle, and I am sure I am not alone. Enjoy the heck out of your trip. Wish I was going along. (I wish that of everyones trips, :lol: )
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Sharon2665

Postby Sharon2665 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:24 pm

dingdong wrote:Goldwings have to be, arguably, the most reliable bike there is. I have owned three and have toured 35 states. Probably 250k miles Never have I had a problem while on the road. Proper maintenance is the key. Ride safe on your trip. Keep us posted with pictures. We like pictures.
I would like to hear how you like your trike when you return. Thinking of a trike in the future, maybe the near future.

Will let you know how I like the trike. This will be my first long trip with it. It has taken some getting used to but now that I have I find myself liking it more and more each time I ride it. Yes there is no leaning but you also don't have to worry about where you are pulling it over at or can I get the darn thing out. Being female I have had a hard time finding a motorcycle with a large engine that can keep up with the big guys, be comfortable, and not be to large that I feel like I'm going to fall over with it. The trike gives me that. I love my little 1998 V Star 650 but it's just not great for long trips or on the highway! Also I have some back and leg problems and it is a lot easier to get on and off of. As a passenger I prefer the back seat of our Victory Cross Country for seat comfort although I cannot stretch my legs out very well and then you get into knee problems again. The back seat of the GW trike leans back a little to much for my comfort and does not have enough lumbar support but I can stretch my legs out easier to relax them while traveling. For a passenger you could certainly put some lumbar support etc on it to make it suit you. I love the drivers seat of the GW for comfort esp since I got the backrest for it. This Rt 66 trip I will be driving it the whole way so should be comfortable. My husband is driving the Victory so we will have plenty of storage room. Will let you know further updates as I figure them out! I have no doubt the Wing is gonna have no problems at all with the trip, the same as our Victory. Now my brother in laws HD Ultra.....we will have to see. It is only a couple yrs old and never given them any problems so I imagine we will all do just fine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:16 pm

If you are going to with a minimalist toolkit, I would throw a bag of zip ties in. They weigh nothing and take up virtually no space, but it's amazing the number of things that can break, but that can be temporarily repaired with zip ties.

Emergency zipper fix
Emergency zipper fix

Sharon2665

Postby Sharon2665 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:54 pm

We never leave home without the zip ties on the bikes! I have to say I never thought about using them for a broken zipper but that's a great idea just in case.

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”