2 Wings and a Hog to Minnesota!

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

2 Wings and a Hog to Minnesota!

Postby cardinal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:39 am

Awhile back, I asked what I should see on my ride from Fresno to Luverne, MN. Got some good suggestions to add to what I had planned.
Here's a few pics of the trip so far.
Snake River in Idaho
Snake River in Idaho

Jackson Town Square in Jackson, Wy.
New friend in Yellowstone
New friend in Yellowstone

DON'T PET THE WILD LIVE, TJ!!
DON'T PET THE WILD LIVE, TJ!!

We took a road through Teton National Park where no Goldwing should go!
It was not only muddy, but filled with deep pot holes!
Where no Gold wing should go...
Where no Gold wing should go...

Road Glides don't belong there either...
Road Glides either...
Road Glides either...

I couldn't turn loose of the handle bars long enough to take a picture of the road and didn't dare stop. It was only about 3 miles of mud, but seemed to go on forever!
Pictures got scrambled, Jackson was just before our ride through Teton, and of course we went through Teton before Yellowstone. Not that it makes much difference.....the ride so far has been GREAT!
Attachments

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: 2 Wings and a Hog to Minnesota!

Postby detdrbuzzard » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 pm

thanks for the write-up and pic's looking to see and read more
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:26 pm

We overnighted in Cody Wyoming. Left without seeing the Cowboy Museum. Maybe, next time. We headed North into Montana to visit the Little Bighorn Battle Field. If you go there, try to hear the Ranger's talk by Brett. Great story teller, studied the battle and everything that led up to it and was a Calvary Man himself. In Fact, I believe he said he was with the 7th, which would explain his comprehensive knowledge of the events of the Bighorn battle.

From there we headed to Mount Rushmore by way of Deadwood and Sturgis. If anyone ever asks me if I've gone to Sturgis, I can look them in the eye and say "Damn right I've been to Sturgis!" Sturgis ain't a bad place when it's not full of drunk bikers.

Stayed overnight in Hot Springs South Dakota. Next morning my brother headed back to Salt Lake while TJ and I headed for the Bad Lands.
I'll try to post a few pics from there later. I have to pull them off my GoPro because they disappeared from the Nikon.
Tomorrow we head back to California, so I won't have time to do much until I get back home.
Hang in there and ride safe.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Two wings and a hog??? I guess pigs fly. Good trip.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:43 am

After a grueling 8 hour ride, all on freeways, from Fresno to Elko, the scenery between Idaho Falls, ID, and Ailpine, WY was refreshing. The Fall colors are really beginning to pop, up north.
[youtube]

[/YouTube]

Someday I'll learn to add music.....

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:17 am

Just got home from Solvang and decided to try posting another video. This one is in the Bad Lands of South Dakota and includes an encounter with some Mountain Goats...
[youtube]

[/YouTube]

Here's a single shot of the goats I pulled off the video...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:24 am

One of my favorite places. Last 2 times I was there it was around 105º. Nice shots of the "Big Horn Sheep".
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Yup...Big Horn Sheep, not Mountain Goats. That's what I get for posting in the early morning hours.
I kinda got side tracked and didn't get around to finishing this report. We still have Sioux Falls, Luverne, Colorado National Monument, and
I 70 through Utah to go.
Sioux Falls Mn.
Sioux Falls Mn.
Luverne Marching Band Contest
Luverne Marching Band Contest
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National Monument

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:12 pm

A couple more of the Colorado National Monument.
Yours truly
Yours truly
Fruita, Co from the Colorado National Monument
Fruita, Co from the Colorado National Monument
Utah's Bad Lands on I 70
Utah's Bad Lands on I 70
No wonder they couldn't catch the Wild Bunch
No wonder they couldn't catch the Wild Bunch

We didn't give I 70 the time and respect it really deserves. We'd been on the road for 12 days and began to hurry. So much so, that we were getting to our next planned stop by 3 O'clock each day. We had planned to overnight in Green River Utah, but got there so early we decided to go to Beaver. At first we didn't want to do that, because we thought we would then have no choice but to go through Vegas to get home. Our planned route had been from Green River to Delta then on to Ely, Nv then overnight in Tonopah. We studied the maps and found 21 going from Beaver, Ut to Baker Nv then into Ely. Turns out that this is the same road that I, and 2 of my college room mates, was stranded on for nearly 2 days, 50 years ago! It was a dirt road back then. We were returning to Cedar City from Christmas break and wanted a route less traveled......by the Highway Patrol......from Salt Lake to Cedar City. We were in a car that Randy, one of my room mates, had put a new head gasket in during the holiday. He had neglected to tighten an oil line that moved oil to the rocker arm assy. It was finger tight for about a hundred miles then came loose and pumped all the oil onto the manifold. Problem was, we missed a turn in Delta and ended up in Baker Nevada. A local told us we could get to Beaver on 21, but it turned to gravel about 5 miles out of town and was gravel for 80 miles. Also informed us there was absolutely NOTHING between Baker and Milford for the entire 80 miles. Car came to a stop at 40 miles out of Baker. We saw 5 cars during the next 36 hours. All stopped, about 50 yards past us, and said they would send help. Finally an old prospector stopped and said he would take one of into Milford so we could call our parents to come rescue us. He carried on a conversation with his wife the whole way into town.........his wife had died 3 or 4 year earlier. Good times.
Here's that same road today......complete with a cattle drive....

Lonely 21
Lonely 21
The Cattle Drive
The Cattle Drive

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:18 pm

We made it to Tonopah, NV ahead of the rain and enjoyed a sign of a good ride....

We managed to dodge a rain storm twice on this ride. The first one, we missed because we didn't want to stop just a couple of hours out of Luverne at 3 O'clock in the afternoon. We pushed on through Sioux Falls and into Luverne that night. The next morning it rained......hard! We got to watch it from our motel room instead of the saddle of our bikes.
It was a good trip. Now it's time to plan another to ..........?

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”