GoldWing MILESTONES

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

GoldWing MILESTONES

Postby FM-USA » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 am

As many know the GoldWing has been around for four+ decades.
Some hold onto their bikes, tucked away in some corner, while others keep them maintained to ride one day a month, a week or it's their daily rider. For me currently it's my only vehicle, by choice.
There are those who can perform routine maintenance, many can take a part apart for repair or rebuild. Then there are the very few who have the ability to do a complete engine rebuild.

Many times we tend to lay aside or forget personal achievements until something clicks the memory.
Here's a list, but by no means complete, to spark a memory or two or more.
Miles achieved, purchase date with possible before/after pixs, major repair[s] you thought you couldn't do, grand destinations, ...

So here is a place to post your MileStones. Try to post pictures with your MileStone, it can be a conversation starter, but it's not necessary. Try to add some info what it was or maybe a short story.

`

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Re: GoldWing MILESTONES

Postby FM-USA » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 am

MILE MARKER 200K

Saturday night hooked up the trailer to the Wing to pick up a glass china display cabinet, an outdoor swing rocker, trellis, ceramic cow and a couple other glass nick-knacks, on the way home we hit the 200K MileStone.

As by the lower trip meter, I ALMOST missed the photo opportunity. :o
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Took a break from working on/in the shop today, seeing as it was a decent day and went for a little 150 mi ride arounf my 'neck of the woods'.

Ended up rolling over 318,000 on the clock on the way. ;)

The bike only had 20,354 on it when I bought it in Nov, 2007!

Dusty

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:13 am

Come on Wingers, theirs a WHOLE LOT MORE milestones out there... share.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:51 am

3 years ago i got my first wing. i traded a 1981 GL500i silverwing interstate for it as i "outgrew" it and i wanted something a little heaver and a little more "interstate highway friendly" as far as power and stability. it was an 83 GL1100 that was a stolen/recovery/vandalized bike that was in horrible condition. it had 82,000 miles on it when i got it. it had a short cut down windshield, the clear plastic cover was broken off of the instrument cluster, missing the rear trunk and the left side saddlebag lid and left side cover, front brake lever switch didn't work because someone cut the wires, the ignition switch was broken off and the PO cut a hole in the right lower fairing and put in a car ignition switch and cut and spliced all the wires together, and the seat cover was ripped to shreds and the electric speedo didn't work. it needed a lot of work. so onward and upward i went. first major work started was a new extra tall wrap around windshield and a new "to me" instrument cluster, a new electronic speedo and a new OEM ignition switch which i put back where it was supposed to be mounted to on the triple tree. then came the maintenance which included new timing belts and tensioners, fresh oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, front and rear brake pads, rebuilding the calipers, new f.&r. tires 2 NEW front rotors. then came the "add-on's". rewired the front fender light, drivers floorboards with heel-toe shifter, custom cut floorboard pads, complete NEW exhaust system, front wheel bearings, rear chrome light bar/trailer hitch bumper, trunk bumper, trailer light harness connector, ELECTRIC WINDSHIELD WIPER AND WASHER, new mirrors, NEW seat, shifter shaft seal, new paint job, which i did myself with rattle cans, fresh pinstripes using the OEM stripes as a guide for the new ones, stainless steel plate and toggle switches for the rear bumper lights, front fender light, switch to turn on the added on voltage meter, and a push button windshield washer, the trunk in the first pic was from my silverwing which was too small so i bought an over sized rear trunk from an 85 Kawasaki voyager vii so i could fit 4-12 packs of sodas into lol, new stereo with speakers, cigarette lighter, rear wheel final drive with new bearings, axle, caliper bracket and spacers, upgraded Harley Davidson headlight with chrome visor and a lot of other things that im sure im forgetting about. this bike has been down to the Florida keys twice and now has over 112,000 miles on it and a lot of life left in her.

anyway, here are a few pics of the bike from what it looked like when i first got it with its original nimbus gray to its now satin black paint with some of the "add-on's".
Attachments

Return to “Trip Info, Reports & Gatherings”